5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constitutional carry

kzielu

Reaction score
I would say the only reason I'd support some form of training, is simply to inform people of the laws pertaining to gun use. For instance, you should know whether your state has a castle doctrine, stand your ground, duty to retreat.... Nebraska is duty to retreat. But I'm sure a lot of people don't know that. Or even know what that means.

Another nice thing with me actually having my CCW permit is I can walk into any place that sells guns, and walk out the same day with my weapon. Having already had a thorough background check for the permits I can forego the waiting period
Exactly - no waiting period on OH but they don't have to run NICS on you if you have a valid CCW. And reciprocity is an additional thing so I maintain mine.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My state has constitutional carry, and last year I stupidly let me CCW expire. Wasn't paying attention. Now I have to be careful where I go. Considering I live on the state line and spend very little time away from home in my state. I know, just go pay for another class and give the sheriff another hundred bucks... I will.

Open carry is a whole other thing. If you want to open carry, please by all means do so, but just stay away from me. I don't want the target on your head getting me involved.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Open carry seems like it would bother me, but I think it's a good thing.
I don't like the idea of open carry with riles though, just paints a bad picture if my kids asked why someone has a rifle as big as them on their shoulder\back.

I would feel a lot safer with tons of people around me open carrying in public places too.
Guns don't kill people, people do. And lots of people around with guns a bad guy likely isn't going to show up and if they do show up dead.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Open carry seems like it would bother me, but I think it's a good thing.
I don't like the idea of open carry with riles though, just paints a bad picture if my kids asked why someone has a rifle as big as them on their shoulder\back.

I would feel a lot safer with tons of people around me open carrying in public places too.
Guns don't kill people, people do. And lots of people around with guns a bad guy likely isn't going to show up and if they do show up dead.
Yeah, after moving to AZ, I was a little surprised the first time I saw someone out and about in a store with a handgun on their belt holster. Now I see it and don't think anything about it. I have zero issues with open carry.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, after moving to AZ, I was a little surprised the first time I saw someone out and about in a store with a handgun on their belt holster. Now I see it and don't think anything about it. I have zero issues with open carry.
Nebraska was always an open carry state(outside Lincoln and Omaha where city ordinances make it illegal), but few exercise that. I can honestly say, other than LEOs, I have only seen two people practicing open carry the entire time I've been in Nebraska. This is not counting hunters with hunting rifles.

The best thing with constitutional carry in Nebraska is it invalidates the city ordinances against carrying in Lincoln and Omaha.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fellow Floridian here… also a CCP carrier. Imo go through the class and associated paperwork to carry just like I had to do. The last thing we need is a bunch of new gun carriers carrying nowadays because they couldn’t find the time to find a class and do the paperwork and wait 6-8 weeks for your said paperwork to get approved and card to arrive. At least a simple class can help get those educated somewhat on basic firearm safety.

But hey I will continue to renew mine anyways simply because I carry in outside states that allow my CCP but I also don’t carry everywhere due to work and not feeling the need in most situations.

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Open carry is legal in WI but I have honestly never seen anybody doing it. Seems everybody prefers to stay concealed. Wouldn’t bother me at all if more open carried.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Starting June 1st Florida allows non concealed weapon permit holders to conceal carry guns. No matter where you’re from. As long as you’re not a convicted felon or have an injunction against you, anyone can carry concealed.

Im curious to hear some input as I’m not sure how I feel. I’m definitely pro gun, but the argument to me is “what if we have a bunch of people that aren’t trained or have common sense?” My thinking is, “well, that’s on them to go over their head in that responsibility.”

To purchase a gun you still have to go through a 3-day waiting period and a background check. People are mislead to believe that wont happen anymore. What are your thoughts?
Food for thought. 65% of USA doesn't require govt permission to carry.

Jake103

Reaction score
I think its a good thing as well, There are many people who carry a firearm anyway without a permit. Most people will think twice before trying something stupid if no one knows who is armed or not. I don't think shootings will go up either. If someone wants to get firearms illegally they will. If anything it will probably help put some scum bags under and help curb crime. More people able to stop situations/shootings before they escalate or at least have a chance. Granted if you live in a state like Minnesota like I do, you will probably be seen as the bad guy.....

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i think the government has no business telling what I can or cannot do, just like i have no business telling what yall can or cannot do.
If you wanna take a class to learn about law, technique, and other things, then go for it. If you don't want to take a class, then that's your choice.

That's the cost of freedom: some people will choose not to do things the proper way, but there's nothing to stop them because it's their right to do so.
And I have no problem with that, because once you start putting prerequisites to exercise your freedom, you no longer have freedom.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
i think the government has no business telling what I can or cannot do, just like i have no business telling what yall can or cannot do.
If you wanna take a class to learn about law, technique, and other things, then go for it. If you don't want to take a class, then that's your choice.

That's the cost of freedom: some people will choose not to do things the proper way, but there's nothing to stop them because it's their right to do so.
And I have no problem with that, because once you start putting prerequisites to exercise your freedom, you no longer have freedom.
The weird thing is, criminals don’t care about laws or prerequisites. Some have more freedom than we do, especially when they get released back out on the street with no bail after being arrested.

Dewey

Reaction score
The weird thing is, criminals don’t care about laws or prerequisites. Some have more freedom than we do, especially when they get released back out on the street with no bail after being arrested.
Yup. Catch and release. Most offenders are repeat offenders.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this.
laws don't work without consequences and at this time we have some people in power who think taking away consequences is the humane thing to do... or to decrease crime stats to make things look better.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I'd much rather have constitutional carry vs this crap OR is trying to ram down our throats: Oregon Measure 114, Changes to Firearm Ownership and Purchase Requirements Initiative (2022)

Luckily it's been suspended ... for now.

Oh goodie .... Oregon’s Measure 114 is constitutional, federal judge rules regarding gun control law I'm sure it will be appealed and when it gets to the Supreme Court it will be ruled unconstitutional. But in the meantime, dam* stupid portlandites

OuterBeachRebel

Reaction score
Starting June 1st Florida allows non concealed weapon permit holders to conceal carry guns. No matter where you’re from. As long as you’re not a convicted felon or have an injunction against you, anyone can carry concealed.

Im curious to hear some input as I’m not sure how I feel. I’m definitely pro gun, but the argument to me is “what if we have a bunch of people that aren’t trained or have common sense?” My thinking is, “well, that’s on them to go over their head in that responsibility.”

To purchase a gun you still have to go through a 3-day waiting period and a background check. People are mislead to believe that wont happen anymore. What are your thoughts?
I agree w/ you . I’m a Duel Resident. Between Long Island New York , and Tarpon Springs FL. I have a Conceal Carry Permit for FL, and carry in FL and Other states that honor my Permit to carry. In NY I’m still waiting on my permit to just own a pistol. I’m def pro gun. But the lack of training is the only thing that make me worry.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree w/ you . I’m a Duel Resident. Between Long Island New York , and Tarpon Springs FL. I have a Conceal Carry Permit for FL, and carry in FL and Other states that honor my Permit to carry. In NY I’m still waiting on my permit to just own a pistol. I’m def pro gun. But the lack of training is the only thing that make me worry.
Well, being a duel resident, I can see why handguns are important. They are part of a lot of duels in the old west.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I am not familiar with all this "training" people talk about.

I get it, some states make you sit in a class for 8 hours with a guy that grew up wanting to be a cop but never passed the physical. Others might make you include range time that proves you know which end of the gun to point away from you. Va had some lame on line class test that the kids on the short bus could answer. I don’t remember what the test was.

It's not like you go to special forces training for years with the Israeli Sayeret Matkal. The average Joe would forget all the nonsense in a high stress situation anyway. Just have a gun in case you need it. In reality, you ain't skinnin' that smokewagon unless it is a dire situation.

Let us carry what we wish, when we wish, where we wish and we would all be safer and more polite.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am not familiar with all this "training" people talk about.

I get it, some states make you sit in a class for 8 hours with a guy that grew up wanting to be a cop but never passed the physical. Others might make you include range time that proves you know which end of the gun to point away from you. Va had some lame on line class test that the kids on the short bus could answer. I don’t remember what the test was.

It's not like you go to special forces training for years with the Israeli Sayeret Matkal. The average Joe would forget all the nonsense in a high stress situation anyway. Just have a gun in case you need it. In reality, you ain't skinnin' that smokewagon unless it is a dire situation.

Let us carry what we wish, when we wish, where we wish and we would all be safer and more polite.

I think the class is a good idea. Most people don't know most of the basic gun laws in thier state. The classes teach that at least. Or should be. I know my CCW class was mostly about the gun laws and understanding what is legal use and what isn't. The shooting part was just to make sure, as you said, you know which end of the gun to point away from you.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I think the class is a good idea. Most people don't know most of the basic gun laws in thier state. The classes teach that at least. Or should be. I know my CCW class was mostly about the gun laws and understanding what is legal use and what isn't. The shooting part was just to make sure, as you said, you know which end of the gun to point away from you.
Teach it in school and be done.

Users who are viewing this thread