5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering Ram - opinions on my choices so far

Shamrock92

Reaction score
So I'm considering Ram (along with Toyota) and want to get opinions from the ram side on my pick so far.

Looking at a Longhorn with 10th anniversary package. Package seems to cover most "optional" things - only additional things I can see I would consider "must haves" would be the hemi and potentially a sunroof.

Tested a Laramie today and was very impressed - enough to drop Ford/GM from my search...Ford just doesn't do much for me and despite being a GM fan and current owner - the new offerings were underwhelming.

My biggest worry with Ram is reliability...yes I am aware its a topic thats been beat to death . Power train wise- I don't feel Toyota has any real advantage here...both power plants have been around and both are solid. Its the interior where Ram worries me....I come from the old school pickup crowd...less power is better when it comes to an interior. That said - I think I'm ready to take the chance....yes, Toyota has a better rep (because it has less thrills inside) - but is it really better to eliminate all the luxury perks to avoid having issues? Given I use my truck under 10k miles a year and keep them a decade...this time I think I'd rather have a full featured truck rather than a truck with decade old features in it.

Other concern is resale. Like I said - I keep my vehicles - but its nice to know if I want to trade in - id see some money back. Hell, my current 2012 Silverado WT cost 16500 out the door and is bringing 11k on the sale (granted it has under 20k miles...and is as basic a truck ever made...but still nice resale).

Whats a good price on this truck with current incentives? (Not counting tax/dox fees as these vary by state) - sticker is 66k i think...am I crazy to expect someone to sell this for 52k after incentives (assuming I'm not doing 0%/72 months)....for that matter how much do I give up to use the 72 month promo?

Also looked at the 2500 power wagon and Rebel...kinda thinking the 2500 is just too much truck for my needs (I know - some people will say no such thing) and the Rebel is nice...but feels a bit younger (or in my case middle aged/old man trying to look young).

Any options I am overlooking the value in ? Air suspension is interesting to me...if it were closer to a grand - id probably say yes...but given the choice of a 6 with air suspension or hemi...I'm going bigger engine - the ride wasn't that horrible on the Laramie I drove today without it.

TIA for help

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Percentage off MSRP

In my opinion you should be getting at least 16% off the MSRP including rebates and incentives. The total number you should be using to determine your percentage off should include the total (with rebates and incentives) before trade in, taxes, and any required government fees. Your number should include dealer add-ons you did not request and any dealer fees not listed on the factory invoice, document fees, prep fees, etc. You can use one of these two links to find the factory MSRP and invoice price of the truck and all options. LINK LINK
Try For More 14% to 15%
Good Discount 16% to 18%
Great Discount 19% to 23%
It is highly doubtful you will get in the 20% area with current Laramie incentives.

Check out this post for more information.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like you've done your research, and pretty much hit it on the head. The big reliability difference between the big 3 and Toyota is the electronics. Those are probably the number one thing, or super close to it, that you are most likely to have problem with. But like you said, take a chance and get snazzy, updated technology and features, or get the 5 year old technology and better chance of reliability.

Two things about Toyota vs Ram dealerships.
1. Ram dealerships, if you find a good one, will give you a good deal on the truck purchase. As stated by Silent Bob, good deals can be had.
In my experience, when Toyota gives you a measly couple thousand $ off, they think you should be kissing their feet over it.
2. Toyota dealerships, generally, will give you better service than a Ram dealership. Good Ram dealerships (service departments) do exist, but they are far fewer and farther between then Toyota, it seems.

If you can find a decent dealership, then you've eliminated most of your potential problems.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Yes, dealer makes a huge difference...and traditionally Honda/Toyota sales are "elitest"...thats changing slowly though.

I'm opening my options to a Laramie and on the Toyota side to a well optioned SR5 or platinum/limited. The more I look - im thinking a Limited on the Toyota - 1794 is nice - l like the color scheme, but I know many don't

Ram - I really like the tan leather better. Black is just everywhere and shows hairline cracks bad it you don't maintain it.

Ram I would likely order...get exactly what I want with. There is a large dealer in town - but guaranteed they try to push me to buy off the lot (and what I want is a pretty feature heavy Laramie) - 2 things I'm split on - sunroof and tech package....recognizing both are not common options. Could live without both i think (tech especially) - but if I'm ordering - get what I want.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
The fewer options you get on any truck, but especially a Ram, the fewer parts you will have to break. I love Toyota's because of their reliability and resale value. But for the Tundra, you will be paying more for a comparably equipped truck and your fuel economy will be even more expensive than the Ram, which has bad economy.

I think the biggest difference between the two is ride quality. The Tundra rides like a truck for NVH. The Ram rides like an suv.

Buy what you want and maintain it and you'll probably be fine with a Ram, just make sure to buy it at an appropriate discount. Rams only make sense when you're buying them at 15, 20 or 25% off MSRP.

If you can wait for the upcoming Tundra that will probably be the best of the three options.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you can wait a little while longer it would be more beneficial to you . Rumour has Ram coming out with uconnect5 , GM coming out with new interior and Toyota completely redoing the Tundra . The F-150 will be out for a year also so you’ll see what problems they’re having .

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might want to wait until 2022 to make your decision. Toyota will be releasing their all-new Tundra; the GM twins will be getting a huge interior redesign as well as minor tweaks to the front and rear of the trucks: and Ram should be getting UConnect 5.

If you’re not in a rush to purchase, I’d hold off for the time being. The new tundra sounds promising.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Lots of folks saying wait and see, only you know how badly you want something new.

If reliability was your main concern, I’d stay with a Laramie, no air suspension, no ET, no 12” screen. That eliminates most issues.

If you like Toyota just be prepared to pay msrp or close for the new design.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
PLEASE don't forget to take safety into consideration. A Toyota Tundra is the most UNSAFE full size PU on the market according to IIHS. I would NEVER buy a vehicle with that safety record.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PLEASE don't forget to take safety into consideration. A Toyota Tundra is the most UNSAFE full size PU on the market according to IIHS. I would NEVER buy a vehicle with that safety record.

It’s the most unsafe because it’s the oldest design of the bunch. It hasn’t seen a major overhaul since 2008 or so. I expect this to change once the redesigned tundra is tested.

Last edited:

Granite2WD

Reaction score
He’d be paying MSRP or close even on the current Tundra. Toyota, Honda, etc. don’t discount at all like the other brands. That’s how they’ve always been.
Yes, and I wish car reviewers would take this into account when comparing American vs foreign vehicles. American MSRPs are all about anchoring and gimmicks. Getting 10 to 25% off should be expected.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s the most unsafe because it’s the oldest design of the bunch. It hasn’t seen a redesign since 2008 or so. I expect this to change once the redesigned tundra is tested.
We should hope so. However, that didn't impact the newest GM trucks which still don't rate all that great as compared to the RAM. A redesign doesn't guarantee an IIHS Top Safety Pick.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You might want to wait until 2022 to make your decision. Toyota will be releasing their all-new Tundra; the GM twins will be getting a huge interior redesign as well as minor tweaks to the front and rear of the trucks: and Ram should be getting UConnect 5.

If you’re not in a rush to purchase, I’d hold off for the time being. The new tundra sounds promising.
I'm not saying you don't have some valid points, and UConnect 5 might be worth waiting for if it's ever confirmed that it will be in 2022 models. And I am curious to see what Toyota comes up with. But you could honestly say similar things every year....'wait until next years models because it should have x feature'. Or 'if you wait until the 20xx models come out you should get y feature'. You'll be forever waiting if you are someone who is chasing the cutting edge. There is no guarantee that GM's redesigned interiors will be any better than they are now (although it would be tough to not improve on that LOL), and no one has confirmed that UConnect 5 will be in 2022 Ram 1500's. So a buyer could be waiting for another year for that or some other rumored cool new feature. My advice is if you find or are able to order something with the features you want, at a price you can live with, then buy it. Life's too short to wait for the next big thing IMHO.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Yes, dealer makes a huge difference...and traditionally Honda/Toyota sales are "elitest"...thats changing slowly though.

I'm opening my options to a Laramie and on the Toyota side to a well optioned SR5 or platinum/limited. The more I look - im thinking a Limited on the Toyota - 1794 is nice - l like the color scheme, but I know many don't

Ram - I really like the tan leather better. Black is just everywhere and shows hairline cracks bad it you don't maintain it.

Ram I would likely order...get exactly what I want with. There is a large dealer in town - but guaranteed they try to push me to buy off the lot (and what I want is a pretty feature heavy Laramie) - 2 things I'm split on - sunroof and tech package....recognizing both are not common options. Could live without both i think (tech especially) - but if I'm ordering - get what I want.
Idk what your experience is with the sunroof, but I almost never used the one on my last Ram. My new truck doesn't have one and, given the maintenance issues with the last one, I sought out a truck with no sun roof. The power rear slider i use almost every drive, like it better than sun roof.

slatersan

Reaction score
Whats a good price on this truck with current incentives? (Not counting tax/dox fees as these vary by state) - sticker is 66k i think...am I crazy to expect someone to sell this for 52k after incentives (assuming I'm not doing 0%/72 months)....for that matter how much do I give up to use the 72 month promo?

52k on a 66k laramie is a good, solid deal. Can be done if you're patient and willing to go farther than your backyard.

We should hope so. However, that didn't impact the newest GM trucks which still don't rate all that great as compared to the RAM. A redesign doesn't guarantee an IIHS Top Safety Pick.

I'd put good money on a redesigned Japanese build making a push for top safety pick.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is no guarantee that GM's redesigned interiors will be any better than they are now
Actually, from what I have read and seen, GM's new trucks should have interiors that will far better compete with RAM and FORD. All else you stated I am in 100% agreement with. However, I do believe we will see U5 in the 2022 RAM.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
So I'm considering Ram (along with Toyota) and want to get opinions from the ram side on my pick so far.

The 2021 Ram in most ways is a much better truck.

"If the Ram is better, why does Consumer Reports have it neck and neck with the Tundra?"

"It’s all about that 5.7-liter V8. It is a great motor, and although the Ram is better in almost every other way, trucks have a lopsided grading system. Towing, payload, and power reign supreme in the world of pickup trucks. I think it is because trucks are meant for work, not pleasure (or at least the idea of work). So ride comfort, noise, tech features, and so on don’t tend to be the things truck owners focus on as much. It’s all about power. Unlimited power!"

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'm not saying you don't have some valid points, and UConnect 5 might be worth waiting for if it's ever confirmed that it will be in 2022 models. And I am curious to see what Toyota comes up with. But you could honestly say similar things every year....'wait until next years models because it should have x feature'. Or 'if you wait until the 20xx models come out you should get y feature'. You'll be forever waiting if you are someone who is chasing the cutting edge. There is no guarantee that GM's redesigned interiors will be any better than they are now (although it would be tough to not improve on that LOL), and no one has confirmed that UConnect 5 will be in 2022 Ram 1500's. So a buyer could be waiting for another year for that or some other rumored cool new feature. My advice is if you find or are able to order something with the features you want, at a price you can live with, then buy it. Life's too short to wait for the next big thing IMHO.
Kinda. The diff between the 4th and 5th gen RAM is an example of
”good thing I waited”, but then there’s usually enough leaked info that a buyer will know what’s coming.

KCViper

Reaction score
This is so true. My dad (god rest his sole) was always waiting for the next year to upgrade his truck......for many many years. He never did get that new truck...... I could have waited to order mine, but decided to just do it.....

Users who are viewing this thread