5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

ColoradoGuy

Reaction score
These are the settings Trooper suggested and work best for me.
9bd9e7df15144139c6afd28107b2d0a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
Great information, thank you for the reply!

nemecham

Reaction score
Black box as in the OBD to Ethernet connector? I placed a ticket with support a few days ago but haven’t heard back yet. Maybe I will order another one on Amazon just to test while I wait.

What has the collective experience been like with support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. After reading your comment, I figured I’d pull and inspect the harness to make sure everything was seated properly. After verifying that all was snug, I reinstalled the harness and the issue seems to have been resolved!

I can’t wait to get that first drive in!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for this. After reading your comment, I figured I’d pull and inspect the harness to make sure everything was seated properly. After making sure everything was snug, I reinstalled the harness and the issue seems to have been resolved!

I can’t wait to get that first drive in!

Glad to hear. Let me know if you have other questions.

nemecham

Reaction score
Glad to hear. Let me know if you have other questions.
Sounds good. I hear that I should familiarize myself with openpilot before making the switch to sunnypilot. How long would you recommend before making the switch or does it really matter?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Sounds good. I hear that I should familiarize myself with openpilot before making the switch to sunnypilot. How long would you recommend before making the switch or does it really matter?
No, you don't need to do that, just go for it. The basics of OP are there is SunnyPilot, it's just expanded and better. Think of OP as generic Android and SunnyPilot as a customized version of it with more features.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You could use the rea fast one, but there is 0 point to use stock OP. It can't even drive my truck for more then 10 seconds without going over lines or taking me offroading.
I like the realfast branch but I'm not sure how it is aging vs SP now Vincent would know.

grimloktt

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest using that unless you experience issues with what I provided. Most trucks don't have issues. But it's good that we have options if there are some issues. When I get back from vacation, I'll going to try to look into the oscillating steering wheel issue that some have. I've got some of the 2024 HDs running now. Just need to tweak this steering issue.

My Ram Limited with air suspension and printed comma AI mount is constantly providing correction in nlcc or similar. See that video of my steering wheel

vincentw56

Reaction score
You could use the rea fast one, but there is 0 point to use stock OP. It can't even drive my truck for more then 10 seconds without going over lines or taking me offroading.
I like the realfast branch but I'm not sure how it is aging vs SP now Vincent would know.
It's one release behind. I'm changing how I'll be creating releases on this one and the last one.

vincentw56

Reaction score

My Ram Limited with air suspension and printed comma AI mount is constantly providing correction in nlcc or similar. See that video of my steering wheel

I'm going to try to look into it after I get back from my vacation. If you are interested in helping, watch discord.

And mine doesn't do that at all.

grimloktt

Reaction score
I'm going to try to look into it after I get back from my vacation. If you are interested in helping, watch discord.
I'll help. I'm in discord as well. That is where I originally posted this video

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'll help. I'm in discord as well. That is where I originally posted this video

I added to my post, but mine doesn't do that at all so I'll need others to help provide the data.

grimloktt

Reaction score
I added to my post, but mine doesn't do that at all so I'll need others to help provide the data.
Sure. I'll provide whatever you need. Do you have the same truck trim and air suspension and printed comma mount? I'm wondering if it has something to do with my setup

vincentw56

Reaction score
Sure. I'll provide whatever you need. Do you have the same truck trim and air suspension and printed comma mount? I'm wondering if it has something to do with my setup

I have a 2019 BH. That's why I need to gather data on the different trucks. And I use the printed mount. But from others, there is no difference in the mount.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Mine does that, it's gets even worse sometimes we call it the "death wobble"
I find that if you increase the friction number it seems to do it less if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if you can even adjust the friction with nlcc turned on?

I also have an 22 Limited with OEM 22s and air suspension which always struggles with comma for some reason. I believe I have been running .2 friciton and 2.5 last accel (I would need to double check the last accel). With newer builds I have pushed friciton to .3 which seems to be working better, but it's so hard to understand which settings improve because you need to fiddle with it while going 65 mpg on the highway and not get into an accident.

grimloktt

Reaction score
Mine does that, it's gets even worse sometimes we call it the "death wobble"
I find that if you increase the friction number it seems to do it less if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if you can even adjust the friction with nlcc turned on?

I also have an 22 Limited with OEM 22s and air suspension which always struggles with comma for some reason. I believe I have been running .2 friciton and 2.5 last accel (I would need to double check the last accel). With newer builds I have pushed friciton to .3 which seems to be working better, but it's so hard to understand which settings improve because you need to fiddle with it while going 65 mpg on the highway and not get into an accident.
Yeah it's actually too bad that we can't get a good definition of what adjustment does what at least in layman's terms for those two settings. You cannot Make manual adjustments under the NLCC.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yeah it's actually too bad that we can't get a good definition of what adjustment does what at least in layman's terms for those two settings. You cannot Make manual adjustments under the NLCC.

It's been explained several times in discord. I'll see if I can find it and add it to the FAQ out there.

grimloktt

Reaction score
It's been explained several times in discord. I'll see if I can find it and add it to the FAQ out there.
I'd love to read it. Let us know where. I've use the search function within discord in both the RAM and general comma AI forum for both those terms and did not find anything.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'd love to read it. Let us know where. I've use the search function within discord in both the RAM and general comma AI forum for both those terms and did not find anything.

Friction is the force it takes to overcome turning the steering wheel. If your wheel is really easy to turn, you need less friction. If it is really hard to turn, you need more friction. It is all the friction created by everything starting at the steering wheel all the way down to the tire and pavement.

LAT_ACCEL_FACTOR is related to the lateral acceleration. It is basically how fast the steering wheel should turn.

A lot of times friction plays a higher role in the steering wheel wobble. A lot of people have posted different settings to try. I am going to try to see if I can get people to post some of their live tune settings. Keep in mind, what works on one release, may not work on the next one because of the change in the model. The model is what determines steering. As new models are released, there may be changes needed to these values to compensate.

OP has a live tuner that is supposed to adjust as you drive, but it doesn't always work for everyone. For me, it is perfect, but I have a BH without air suspension, 22" tires, etc.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, what works on one release, may not work on the next one because of the change in the model. The model is what determines steering. As new models are released, there may be changes needed to these values to compensate.
That's the problem I have now. My settings that were good aren't quite right anymore.
And it also cancels control randomly which is ultra scary, almost went head first into an oncoming bus while on a minor turn because it turned off and wheel went to go straight and I quickly was able to grab it, but it's often in a position where you can't go 1 second without grabbing it. Not sure if it's related to build or my defective unit comma will not repair nor replace.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I am now running the latest DA and dev-c3, with no adjustments, custom stock long enabled, NNLC off, and self tune. Been driving several hundred now, so self tune has settled in, and with minor hands-on, it drives really good.

Users who are viewing this thread