5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

ccb99

Reaction score
I am getting an error on the 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe drive that it is not mounted.
This was changed before I installed Open Pilot. Customer Support at Comma suggested
That I uninstall Open pilot and reinstall to see if it will fix the problem. The 256GB version
will mount.

They need to make installing the Software and the fork easier to do. It is getting so frustrated
I want to throw the Comma 3 against the wall.

Malodave

PS. I have been working on a slightly bigger mount with the 6 degree wedge for the Ram Windshield.
The trucks tend to ride a little harsher than a car so that is why I made the mount larger.

The Numbers show the Progression of the fit by how much sanding I was doing. Then the Stock Mount.
These will use the 80MM round disk of 3M VHB tape cut to shape. The final version (#5) is in the printer.
I can fit 6 mounts on my print plate at a time. These will most likely be up for 2 mounts w/ VHB circles
for $15 that will include shipping too.

View attachment 108081
do you still make a mount for the ram trucks? If so, how can I buy one?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
do you still make a mount for the ram trucks? If so, how can I buy one?
If he can't, let me know. I've been printing them for a lot of people. Just send me a PM.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unplug the comma and your truck should be fine. Git those while testing for Castle for S20.
Then check all the connections to make sure they are in tight and in the right orientation. The inline white plug can be plugged in backwards and throws codes.
White plug?
I don't think my plugs at least can be incorrect. They only fit 1 way.

the_glassman

Reaction score
I unplugged the USB C connector from the back of the Comma, reseated it and restarted my truck. Took a 40 mile test drive and it was fine other than the lingering check engine light which I assume is left over from the previous issue. I did get a few perimeter messages during my drive, but this thing is ace on the highway! Thank you everyone for the help.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did my first drive with the Comma 3.

Long post but I figure it might help if anyone is interested.

It lost footage on the first drive at one point it started yelling saying service stopped or ended, and I couldn't remember the 2 things that popped up.
After I pulled over and told the device to reboot (kept my truck on) it seemed to stay working.

I think there are some adjustments I need to make, it was all over the road frequently going into the left lane, turns were okay but a little odd, sometimes it would steer and say I needed to grab but work, others it would just give up and not even bother.

It wanted to hug 1 side of the lane, generally the left. I did see there were camera micro adjustments that can be made on the device, I think I can adjust them to make it better.

The device also does not see stuff in the road, recycle bin in middle on double lines, truck in the break down lane (went right for him).

Lanesense no longer works with the Comma device plugged in as the button is disabled, but set to on, but doesn't actually trigger if you cross lanes (driving without the device engaged)

The video footage on the website was janky as hell and just doesn't seem to work and is very confusing.
I was able to pull off front and wide footage off the device directly using Open Pilot Toolkit (SSH) and convert it to .MP4 with resolution of almost exactly 1920x1080 at 20 FPS with a decent but not great picture.
The video footage does not show GPS or speed or anything the device has on the UI, this is kind of a bummer. Going to be useless if you get a speeding ticket not speeding because it's not showing your speed despite knowing it.
Connect.comma does show a map where you are, but that doesn't seem to translate into the actual video, or a multi output file like I have had on other super old dashcams.

I was able to see a license place of an oncoming car while I was stopped at a stop light.
Unable to see any license plates of cars in front of me on the highway.
In motion makes it very hard and there is massive glare on the windshield of my dash for the camera (no glare for me as the driver). I believe this is part of the problem.
The camera is decent, not great but NOT bad. I think some adjustments might make it better like reducing the glare, or maybe covering the dash with something that will not show up on the windshield (it wasn't a crazy bright day)

All in all a successful trip, I had to grab the wheel a ton of times and it really wanted to run me off the road several times as it gets confused if there are no right lanes even in lane free or whatever it is called. Sometimes it will think the path forward it onto someones front or back lawn but I think I will be able to learn it's deficcenies and know when I should be taking control before it needs it.
I also need to figure out how to add things on the footage, as just camera footage is not very good. Need to be able to get current speed, or at a minimum a day\time stamp as that doesn't even exist from what I can tell.
I'm also concerned how the device can say services lost or whatever it said and just not record footage but that might of just been a fluke.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Did my first drive with the Comma 3.

Long post but I figure it might help if anyone is interested.

It lost footage on the first drive at one point it started yelling saying service stopped or ended, and I couldn't remember the 2 things that popped up.
After I pulled over and told the device to reboot (kept my truck on) it seemed to stay working.

I think there are some adjustments I need to make, it was all over the road frequently going into the left lane, turns were okay but a little odd, sometimes it would steer and say I needed to grab but work, others it would just give up and not even bother.

It wanted to hug 1 side of the lane, generally the left. I did see there were camera micro adjustments that can be made on the device, I think I can adjust them to make it better.

The device also does not see stuff in the road, recycle bin in middle on double lines, truck in the break down lane (went right for him).

Lanesense no longer works with the Comma device plugged in as the button is disabled, but set to on, but doesn't actually trigger if you cross lanes (driving without the device engaged)

The video footage on the website was janky as hell and just doesn't seem to work and is very confusing.
I was able to pull off front and wide footage off the device directly using Open Pilot Toolkit (SSH) and convert it to .MP4 with resolution of almost exactly 1920x1080 at 20 FPS with a decent but not great picture.
The video footage does not show GPS or speed or anything the device has on the UI, this is kind of a bummer. Going to be useless if you get a speeding ticket not speeding because it's not showing your speed despite knowing it.
Connect.comma does show a map where you are, but that doesn't seem to translate into the actual video, or a multi output file like I have had on other super old dashcams.

I was able to see a license place of an oncoming car while I was stopped at a stop light.
Unable to see any license plates of cars in front of me on the highway.
In motion makes it very hard and there is massive glare on the windshield of my dash for the camera (no glare for me as the driver). I believe this is part of the problem.
The camera is decent, not great but NOT bad. I think some adjustments might make it better like reducing the glare, or maybe covering the dash with something that will not show up on the windshield (it wasn't a crazy bright day)

All in all a successful trip, I had to grab the wheel a ton of times and it really wanted to run me off the road several times as it gets confused if there are no right lanes even in lane free or whatever it is called. Sometimes it will think the path forward it onto someones front or back lawn but I think I will be able to learn it's deficcenies and know when I should be taking control before it needs it.
I also need to figure out how to add things on the footage, as just camera footage is not very good. Need to be able to get current speed, or at a minimum a day\time stamp as that doesn't even exist from what I can tell.
I'm also concerned how the device can say services lost or whatever it said and just not record footage but that might of just been a fluke.
Are you running SunnyPilot? If so, make sure to only use laneless. That is AI driving. Also, have you changed anything from stock, tires, suspension, etc?

It won't see things in the road. That's why you have to pay attention. Maybe on the future, but it isn't an advertised function.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you running SunnyPilot? If so, make sure to only use laneless. That is AI driving. Also, have you changed anything from stock, tires, suspension, etc?

It won't see things in the road. That's why you have to pay attention. Maybe on the future, but it isn't an advertised function.
The truck has OEM tires\wheels\suspension (air).
I have performance enhancers but nothing that would affect how it drives.
I'm using Sunnypilot test-C3

I left it to auto, then changed it to laneless as I think that's what people said to use

I never expected it to see anything on the road, just an observation.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The truck has OEM tires\wheels\suspension (air).
I have performance enhancers but nothing that would affect how it drives.
I'm using Sunnypilot test-C3

I left it to auto, then changed it to laneless as I think that's what people said to use

I never expected it to see anything on the road, just an observation.
How does it do once switched to laneless? It should do much better. Also, if there is glare on the windshield, it will have issues "seeing". Just like you would have some issues seeing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How does it do once switched to laneless? It should do much better. Also, if there is glare on the windshield, it will have issues "seeing". Just like you would have some issues seeing.
I didn't notice a difference between the way it drove.
It defaulted to an auto mode so I assume it was laneless anyways.

The glare i'm talking about is only on the camera itself, I don't think it would affect what it sees but maybe make it slightly off focus more so when I was going back to look at footage.
To be clear I didn't see any glare from the driver's seat and it wasn't any brighter then a normal day.

You can see my dash in this picture

1675454783795.png

But on something like this it's not showing glare\my dash
1675454810993.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Went for another ride.
This one mostly smaller roads with marked and unmarked lanes.
As I expected it can't drive on roads with no lane in the middle, the truck just sits itself in the middle of the road no matter how much space is to the right.

I did notice that on flat ground on with marked lanes the truck can't go straight. It is always adjusting and bounces right to left, goes over the double line, and sometimes stay driving on the double line, or bounces back right.

Also on turns majority of them that it can't make it doesn't make any sound and would just attempt to steer me off road, only maybe 25% of the turns actually went orange and told me it couldn't do it. It's much more work actually letting it drive on roads then just steering myself for some reason.

The highway it does ok. It gets way to close to the right lane, and the left lane no matter which lane I am in. When I saw close, I mean under 6 inches away from touching the yellow lane (looking at my side view mirror to see my tires on the ground)
The last road I was on (double yellow lanes in middle) it drove over both middle lanes and never adjusted back. The screen showed the lane that I was on top of red\black not green so it knew, but it never adjusted.

I checked what adjustments I could make and it was path and camera in CM. But it's just a positive or negative number. If the truck is bouncing back and forth I can't apply a left or right adjustment. Sometimes it hugged left and went over the lanes, and other times it was so far right I needed to steer it myself on the entire road because it was going to make me leave the pavement consistently.

I used it in the city on a 2 lane "highway" with stop lights. It consistently drove on the left lane, when when stopping for a red light (ACC). I had to take manual control when stopped and turn my truck to the right because I was blocking traffic in the left lane from taking a left hand turn because the steering had me over the left lane again (flat ground straight road)

By the time we got home my wife was covering her eyes with her hands and i'm partially with her on this one. Not being able to drive straight on flat ground with clearly marked lanes just confuses me. I don't understand why it was steering so much, yet so little. I could position they wheel and take my hands off with the Comma device turned off and I would go straight very far before needing to adjust the direction, the Comma just was't having it. Even watching footage I can see it bobbing myself around in the lane similar to what lanesense would do (that sucks)

I'm really not sure what is going on. I wonder if I should try a different build then Sunnypilot for my truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here is an example where it took me into the left lane for seeming no reason.
Hands off the wheel, ACC set. ACC slows down and I stop fine but truck goes from close to the right, to into the left lane.

1675462918514.png 1675462925476.png 1675462935357.png 1675462948116.png 1675462959117.png 1675462968892.png

Oncoming traffic here also. No notice from the device I needed to steer but I grabbed the wheel and jerked it right.

1675463310694.png 1675463318775.png
1675463410610.png

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the photos. I didn't see anything wrong. On the full stop, when did it start to go into the other lane? It stops steering around 6 to 8 mph. That's a limit of the truck's EPS firmware. Same for the loss of torque on some curves. It's not a Comma problem, it's a Ram problem.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the photos. I didn't see anything wrong. On the full stop, when did it start to go into the other lane? It stops steering around 6 to 8 mph. That's a limit of the truck's EPS firmware. Same for the loss of torque on some curves. It's not a Comma problem, it's a Ram problem.
I can upload video footage, but the problem was that it kept steering. I was going straight closer to the right, then it swung me over to the left out of the blue. It was steering until the end, just not the right direction. If it didn't steer I wouldn't of went left.

The loss of torque I understand, but it's not letting me know it doesn't have the torque, and some turns it didn't even try, it just went straight without giving me an orange popup or sound.

At the stop light looking in my left side view mirror I was over the white lane. On the double yellow line picture my tire was in the middle of the 2 yellow lines before i grabbed the wheel because it wasn't trying to turn the wheel.

On clip 1 I only put hands on at the end. ACC stayed on.
Here is 1 clip

On the second clip ACC was on and my hands stayed off the entire time (even at the very end).
Here is the second one

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Heres a thrid one.
Forgive my terrible editing skills I tried to combine 2 segments to show the swearing inside of lanes to made be able to get some insight as to what it's doing.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'd suggest getting on our Discord channel. Lots more Ram people on there than here.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you tried release yet?
I only tried Sunnypilot test-c3.
I changed lane change blinker thing to 2 seconds, laneless. I don't think I changed anything else in the settings.
I did also have it download the maps, which I think only matter to show the speed limit, which doesn't matter because my truck already shows it and there is no navigation on the Comma for my truck.

Do I just give it the URL of https://openpilot.comma.ai after resetting it?
I see instructions on how to change via SSH but I don't really recognize the commands to bother going that route. I'm not familiar with Github until now.

I'd suggest getting on our Discord channel. Lots more Ram people on there than here.
Which one? The "Ram OpenPilot Community" or the Sunnyhaibin one?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I only tried Sunnypilot test-c3.
I changed lane change blinker thing to 2 seconds, laneless. I don't think I changed anything else in the settings.
I did also have it download the maps, which I think only matter to show the speed limit, which doesn't matter because my truck already shows it and there is no navigation on the Comma for my truck.

Do I just give it the URL of https://openpilot.comma.ai after resetting it?
I see instructions on how to change via SSH but I don't really recognize the commands to bother going that route. I'm not familiar with Github until now.

Which one? The "Ram OpenPilot Community" or the Sunnyhaibin one?
Ram OpenPilot. That's where we are most active.

Users who are viewing this thread