5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm working on docs and stuff. I added an FAQ out there and looking to grow it with more info. I'm trying to get things more organized.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you! I am indeed, although I find it much harder to glean the relevant information I’m generally looking for from there. Must be a generational thing? 🤣
Personally I consider discord only for live voicechat. People use it for tons of stuff and it's not my cuppa tea.
I learned there were private messages after someone messaged me and it say unread for 8 months.
Joining the comma discord(s) I discovered there are "pinned posts"

My device comes in tomorrow but I have a bit of work to do before I throw it in and start using it.
I'm also not sure how to get footage off the device yet, but I don't believe having that large of a size matters depending on what you want the footage for.
Only reason I would want footage is if there was an accident or whatever and in that case I would know when it happens and work to get it off.

I'm hoping it isn't a hassle to get off considering it connects to wifi and I believe is running a form of Android.
Generally devices can handle up to 2TB of storage then after that it comes down to the controller. I am going to try and find a drive to put in it (I ordered mine as 250GB) but I think I may only have 1TB m.2 SSDs lying around.

St-na

Reaction score
Personally I consider discord only for live voicechat. People use it for tons of stuff and it's not my cuppa tea.
I learned there were private messages after someone messaged me and it say unread for 8 months.
Joining the comma discord(s) I discovered there are "pinned posts"

My device comes in tomorrow but I have a bit of work to do before I throw it in and start using it.
I'm also not sure how to get footage off the device yet, but I don't believe having that large of a size matters depending on what you want the footage for.
Only reason I would want footage is if there was an accident or whatever and in that case I would know when it happens and work to get it off.

I'm hoping it isn't a hassle to get off considering it connects to wifi and I believe is running a form of Android.
Generally devices can handle up to 2TB of storage then after that it comes down to the controller. I am going to try and find a drive to put in it (I ordered mine as 250GB) but I think I may only have 1TB m.2 SSDs lying around.
I have 250GB SSD for more than a year and still do not know what for to have 2TB.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have 250GB SSD for more than a year and still do not know what for to have 2TB.
Maybe if people are going on very long trips, and want to actually use the video footage, not as a dashcam.
My only guess.

Realistically you should be taking footage off you want, and 250GB is more then enough and then you save it on regular HDDs at a fraction of the price of the SSD storage.

chuck01835

Reaction score
Still only like 2 and a half minutes of youtube videos of anyone with a Comma AI (2) in a Ram 1500 for some reason.
One of them shows it running over the rumble strip in the middle of the road into oncoming traffic (empty lane).

I find it odd that there aren't a bunch more videos in this day and age.
I have over 10K miles with my comma2 and 2021 limited.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally ordered my kit and hope to get the opportunity to install it this weekend. I ordered the base Comma. Does anyone know the largest SSD that can be added to the device? I was thinking of going with a 1 or 2TB at the minimum, but I’m not really sure it makes much sense to go larger than that.
Is Sunnypilot still the de facto choice?

Make sure to get the standard 980 and not the 980 Pro. I got the 2TB Pro Version and it would not mount
as a drive on the comma. You will also have to source a Screw for the NVMe drive as it is not included with
the base 32GB model.

Malodave

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I used these for upgrading my hard drive from base 32gb to 1tb…

SAMSUNG 980 SSD 1TB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280, Internal Solid State Drive, Storage for PC, Laptops, Gaming and More, HMB Technology, Intelligent Turbowrite, Speeds of up-to 3,500MB/s, MZ-V8V1T0B/AM https://a.co/d/4oRcqIx

M.2 Screw Kit,NVMe Screw m.2 SSD Mounting Kit,Compatible ASUS Motherboard https://a.co/d/bNGDKm8

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I might need to put my truck back together. My comma was suppose to be delivered yesterday bewettn 10:15-12:15 but never showed up. Called ups and they said it was delayed until today 10:15-12:15 and the website was still showing the old date.
Today I woke up and it marked it was delayed and now shows a delivery date of tomorrow.

Its odd because Comma sent it 2 day air with ups, but 2 day air doesn't deliver to home addresses... I wonder why Comma used a shipping method that doesn't deliver to residential addresses might even be returned to sender tomorrow :(
Screenshot_20230130-071246697.jpg
Screenshot_20230131-083752822.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Had to go to the local UPS facility and beg they redeliver it as the UPS guy stopped at my house then ended up driving away after marking me as not home despite me sitting here.
Was able to get the package and I am attempting to use Dave's bracket as part of the install (had to use double sided tape for now to get a good fit). It might be fine for me in my part of the country. I also used 3m adhesive promoter which I find helps a TON using double sided tape.

I will be posting pictures of my install so people have another source of install pictures for our Rams specifically vs just some random car.
I wonder if I should make a new thread for the pictures or just post them here.

St-na

Reaction score
Had to go to the local UPS facility and beg they redeliver it as the UPS guy stopped at my house then ended up driving away after marking me as not home despite me sitting here.
Was able to get the package and I am attempting to use Dave's bracket as part of the install (had to use double sided tape for now to get a good fit). It might be fine for me in my part of the country. I also used 3m adhesive promoter which I find helps a TON using double sided tape.

I will be posting pictures of my install so people have another source of install pictures for our Rams specifically vs just some random car.
I wonder if I should make a new thread for the pictures or just post them here.
UPS are crazy, they always do the same with me. Last time I left a notice on my door: "UPS! Before leaving with my package, try to use ring bell, I am at home!".

emsgran

Reaction score
I just received my C3 unit and harness on Monday and put the mount on the windshield to cure that night. Did most of the install last night after work. I have a heated garage, so I took a chance and attached it this morning and used it successfully on my 17-mile commute. It's a game changer for me on the Ram.

Notes:
1) Mount it high but not so high as to partially block the radar sensor behind the mirror.

2) This works...
...all you have to do is type installer.comma.ai/sunnyhaibin/test-c3 in the custom software URL after uninstalling whatever software is on it. don't even need https://

3) And this works... wait to set your ACC the first time until you are on a highway with clear lane markers going at a decent speed you want to maintain.

Other steps might work just as well, but this is what worked for me. And no Discord necessary!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
UPS are crazy, they always do the same with me. Last time I left a notice on my door: "UPS! Before leaving with my package, try to use ring bell, I am at home!".
Yeah pretty much.
My father lives on the other side of the duplex and he has security cameras pointing twords the front so I took a picture of the video when I went in so I could say "I know the truck was outside my house and I saw it".
That was after they said "we make 3 delivery attempts"

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just received my C3 unit and harness on Monday and put the mount on the windshield to cure that night. Did most of the install last night after work. I have a heated garage, so I took a chance and attached it this morning and used it successfully on my 17-mile commute. It's a game changer for me on the Ram.

Notes:
1) Mount it high but not so high as to partially block the radar sensor behind the mirror.

2) This works...

3) And this works... wait to set your ACC the first time until you are on a highway with clear lane markers going at a decent speed you want to maintain.

Other steps might work just as well, but this is what worked for me. And no Discord necessary!
Where did you mount the spliter cable?
I put mine on the front of the camera module.
2023-02-01 14.47.37.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is the radar. I wonder if it will interfere.
Radar? Looks like a camera to me? If it really is radar, what is it used for and how would I know if it doesn't work?

I wonder where else this is suppose to go. There's double sided tape on it but I don't see anywhere else it could go

Kind of annoying there is a $200 harness you are required to buy for your make\model and it includes 0 instructions on where it goes.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Radar? Looks like a camera to me? If it really is radar, what is it used for and how would I know if it doesn't work?

I wonder where else this is suppose to go. There's double sided tape on it but I don't see anywhere else it could go

Kind of annoying there is a $200 harness you are required to buy for your make\model and it includes 0 instructions on where it goes.
It is a camera and radar in one device. The radar is used for ACC and FCW, forward collision warning. So, it will see it as an object and ACC may not work properly. The camera is used for auto high beams and lane keep assist.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It is a camera and radar in one device. The radar is used for ACC and FCW, forward collision warning. So, it will see it as an object and ACC may not work properly. The camera is used for auto high beams and lane keep assist.
Hm interesting but it's covered when the shown is on is it not?
How would this plastic be different then the shroud?
My truck is still apart but i'm going to take a ride around the block and see if ACC works I guess.
Again sucks they include parts but don't say or show where they go (in fact 0 instructions)
They give you to stickers of a , and a fold out that just says t take off the double sided tape for the Comma 3 and leave for 48 hours on your windshield, nothing else.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Hm interesting but it's covered when the shown is on is it not?
How would this plastic be different then the shroud?
My truck is still apart but i'm going to take a ride around the block and see if ACC works I guess.
Again sucks they include parts but don't say or show where they go (in fact 0 instructions)
They give you to stickers of a , and a fold out that just says t take off the double sided tape for the Comma 3 and leave for 48 hours on your windshield, nothing else.
Plastic shroud? It looks out the windshield. That's what the cutout is for in the windshield.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Plastic shroud? It looks out the windshield. That's what the cutout is for in the windshield.
thats the camera.
The big plastic unit is behind the plastic, and the sides are covered I think.

Either way I just tested it (without the Comma mounted) and the power going into the square box didn't seem to make a difference. I only tested on 3 cars and ACC still worked, so thats good.

vincentw56

Reaction score
thats the camera.
The big plastic unit is behind the plastic, and the sides are covered I think.

Either way I just tested it (without the Comma mounted) and the power going into the square box didn't seem to make a difference. I only tested on 3 cars and ACC still worked, so thats good.
Great to know. I know the wipers don't affect it either.

Users who are viewing this thread