5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Also, I agree on the documentation, but this isn't a consumer level device. The software isn't even out of beta. It's mostly community supported. It's not like just plugging in a radar detector. It takes some automotive and tech know how. Not much, but some. I wouldn't expect my ex-wife, who can barely operate her cell phone to buy one and install it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also, I agree on the documentation, but this isn't a consumer level device. The software isn't even out of beta. It's mostly community supported. It's not like just plugging in a radar detector. It takes some automotive and tech know how. Not much, but some. I wouldn't expect my ex-wife, who can barely operate her cell phone to buy one and install it.
I agree with some of that but still.
If Comma is going to charge $200 for a vehicle specific harness they can at least tell or show you what it plugs into. Could even just be a 1 pager on their website and they just tell you go to to it in every box.

They separated the software from the hardware so essentially you are paying for the device but the software is free (for now). They then want to upsell you on cloud storage services on a monthly renewing plan.
The software itself will likely always be a "beta" for legal purposes. Kind of like a Tesla.

On a side note. Can I setup the device before I plug it into my truck, or does the initial download need to be done from the truck?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I agree with some of that but still.
If Comma is going to charge $200 for a vehicle specific harness they can at least tell or show you what it plugs into. Could even just be a 1 pager on their website and they just tell you go to to it in every box.

They separated the software from the hardware so essentially you are paying for the device but the software is free (for now). They then want to upsell you on cloud storage services on a monthly renewing plan.
The software itself will likely always be a "beta" for legal purposes. Kind of like a Tesla.

On a side note. Can I setup the device before I plug it into my truck, or does the initial download need to be done from the truck?
Yes, you can install the software before you install the device. You just need to make sure you have a charger that can supply enough power to the device.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go to comma site:
Click on comma 3 and scroll down to the installation guide video. Also, the step by step pictures and explanations.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think that there are also several other YouTube videos on installation, including removing the mirror cover.
By several, you mean exactly 2 Youtube videos. Both of them skip most of the install and just show the before and after.

How long is it suppose to take to install the OS?

I gave it the URL and it's just sitting at installing sunnyhabin 0%.
My wifi's link speed is 1200Mbps and I have 1GB down and up so it isn't an internet speed issue.
So far it's been 10 minutes at 0%.

I can ping it at it's static IP and it responds to ssh, but that's it.

vincentw56

Reaction score
By several, you mean exactly 2 Youtube videos. Both of them skip most of the install and just show the before and after.

How long is it suppose to take to install the OS?

I gave it the URL and it's just sitting at installing sunnyhabin 0%.
My wifi's link speed is 1200Mbps and I have 1GB down and up so it isn't an internet speed issue.
So far it's been 10 minutes at 0%.

I can ping it at it's static IP and it responds to ssh, but that's it.
Sometimes it gets stuck for whatever reason. You could try rebooting it. The URL is case sensitive too.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sometimes it gets stuck for whatever reason. You could try rebooting it. The URL is case sensitive too.
I think I got the url correct as it put the name of what it was installing.

How do I reboot it I don't see any buttons, just yank out the usb cable?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I think I got the url correct as it put the name of what it was installing.

How do I reboot it I don't see any buttons, just yank out the usb cable?
Yes, unplug it for about 30 seconds.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Installed super quick.
I saw something in the menu about downloading maps and it said something about rebooting but it was cut off and couldn't scroll, now it's just sitting at a spinning circle around a comma icon. Jeeze technology seems to hate me right now. The thought of just unplugging the power makes me cringe. No wonder why they want you to wire these into your odb2 for constant power.

I just see internet traffic to and from some server in Microsoft Azure of 13.107.138.9, but the progress bar is staying empty. Maybe it's frozen again.

Update: It just filled the bar out of the blue to like 95%. I guess the maps must be hosted in Azure.

Last edited:

the_glassman

Reaction score
Well, mine bricked my truck on the first ride out. Got a CAN bus disconnected code and all the lights in my dash lit up. When I tried shutting off and restarting my truck it took multiple tries to get it to start. Any ideas?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, mine bricked my truck on the first ride out. Got a CAN bus disconnected code and all the lights in my dash lit up. When I tried shutting off and restarting my truck it took multiple tries to get it to start. Any ideas?
I haven't plugged mine into the truck yet, but it doesn't like to power on even inside.
I tried different cables and power bricks all that work perfectly but it takes around 10-15 plugs and unplugs for it to power on. I have a feeling it's a poor design on the board or something.

I'm planning on putting mine in tomorrow morning for a test drive to see how it goes, but I don't think it likes being turned off ever which might be a huge battery drain if so.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I haven't plugged mine into the truck yet, but it doesn't like to power on even inside.
I tried different cables and power bricks all that work perfectly but it takes around 10-15 plugs and unplugs for it to power on. I have a feeling it's a poor design on the board or something.

I'm planning on putting mine in tomorrow morning for a test drive to see how it goes, but I don't think it likes being turned off ever which might be a huge battery drain if so.
It takes a lot of power. More than a cell phone so most chargers don't work very well. I found plugging into either my laptop or my 45w fast charger works the best. But I've not had mine out of the truck in a year.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Replied to you on Discord.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It takes a lot of power. More than a cell phone so most chargers don't work very well. I found plugging into either my laptop or my 45w fast charger works the best. But I've not had mine out of the truck in a year.
I used my Asus Hyper-charger which is 30W QC4 and PD3.0
I also used an older Samsung QC3 (or 2) which is 2.0 amps even.

It runs fine with them, it just doesn't want to turn on the several plugs and unplugs.

Sounds like there might be a loose harness connector on the_glassman's setup.
Maybe try disconnecting the device, but leaving the cables in and clearing codes and see if it runs fine.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unplug the comma and your truck should be fine. Git those while testing for Castle for S20.
Then check all the connections to make sure they are in tight and in the right orientation. The inline white plug can be plugged in backwards and throws codes.

Users who are viewing this thread