5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just saw this about Stellantis and self driving.
That's cool. It will be cool to see how it stacks up. I think comma will come out on top if they keep it open source.

grimloktt

Reaction score
Sorry but couldn't easily find it. What is steer to 0?

How autonomous is the comma 3 if I use Sunnypilot?

Thank you

vincentw56

Reaction score
Sorry but couldn't easily find it. What is steer to 0?

How autonomous is the comma 3 if I use Sunnypilot?

Thank you
Steer to 0 means the truck will steer down to 0 MPH. It's a little misleading because it depends on the firmware of the electronic power steering. Some trucks will steer all the way to zero and some will only go to 7 mph. Also because of the way we have to fool the truck into thinking that it's working you can only enable it after 32 miles an hour the first time you start driving. This isn't a fault of open pilot but the limitation of the Ram truck. And right now none of the Ram trucks support end to end (e2e). Once we get longitudinal control working in the ram there will be a lot more autonomous driving.

grimloktt

Reaction score
And right now none of the Ram trucks support end to end (e2e). Once we get longitudinal control working in the ram there will be a lot more autonomous driving.

Thank you. Apologies, but what does this mean in layman terms? I have no idea what that means...LOL

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thank you. Apologies, but what does this mean in layman terms? I have no idea what that means...LOL

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
E2e is were you can put in an address and it will take you there. Right now, the stock ACC system controls the gas and brake. Longitudinal control means that open pilot would control the gas and brake. That is needed for e2e, slowing down for curves, stopping at stop signs or stop lights.

jrladd

Reaction score
Does a 2022 with ACC have the hardware to be capable of e2e? Is it just a matter of programming?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does a 2022 with ACC have the hardware to be capable of e2e? Is it just a matter of programming?
ACC and lane sense. With C3 and c3 software download, you will be able to have e2e when it is released. Right now we mostly running forks(separate software) that let us have a specific set of adjustments to the official comma release. Check it out here:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What is the current state of Comma.AI with our trucks now?

I noticed the price of the device crashed by around 1k from the last time I looked at it.

I just saw a video of them "driving to Taco Bell" but I had to watch the video at a reduced speed to see what was going on because they speed it up (most likely so people wouldn't see the flaws?)
I saw the car drive over marked lanes, almost hit an SUV on the highway because the Comma AI didn't keep the car in it's own lane, and almost completely stop at a greenlight long enough that people went around it.

Kinda horrifying and cool at the same time.

toyboy1980

Reaction score

I noticed the price of the device crashed by around 1k from the last time I looked at it.

I just saw a video of them "driving to Taco Bell" but I had to watch the video at a reduced speed to see what was going on because they speed it up (most likely so people wouldn't see the flaws?)
I saw the car drive over marked lanes, almost hit an SUV on the highway because the Comma AI didn't keep the car in it's own lane, and almost completely stop at a greenlight long enough that people went around it.

Kinda horrifying and cool at the same time.
That is them messing with and tweaking true end to end navigation. You put an address in and it goes. Longitudinal control (gas and brake) doesn’t work on the RAMs yet, only steering. Your built in ACC does the gas/brake, and comma steers. It does pretty incredible. That video isn’t really a relevant experience to what the current state is for RAM. Mine drove me from Nashville, TN to Lexington, KY a week ago with almost no needed interaction. (Only had to take over for exits, etc) Dead center of the lane all the way. Can’t state enough how awesome it is on a long drive.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Kinda horrifying and cool at the same time
If it scare you to watch a video that has a perspective compression, then mome on.
I have over 8k on mine and use it all the time. It is not auto pilot, it is enhanced ACC and lane centering. I use it in traffic, but on long hauls it takes the stress out of the drive.
Don't watch one video and make a blanket judgement.

St-na

Reaction score
If it scare you to watch a video that has a perspective compression, then mome on.
I have over 8k on mine and use it all the time. It is not auto pilot, it is enhanced ACC and lane centering. I use it in traffic, but on long hauls it takes the stress out of the drive.
I did more than 20k miles with Comma and using it all the time. Had few trips 17 hours long and it was so easy to drive.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The video was released by the manufacturer, I wasn't watching a thrid party video...
I'm not even sure what you are trying to say...

You don’t realize how fatiguing it is to hold a steering wheel on a long drive, until you don’t have to anymore. It’s pretty amazing.
I drove my truck 1800 miles home, I know the feeling lol. The only time I actually liked the lane keep assist in the middle of the night half falling asleep.

Does anyone have any footage from their own trucks they can share since it seems that the video they posted was a bad example (at least for Rams)

St-na

Reaction score
The video was released by the manufacturer, I wasn't watching a thrid party video...
I'm not even sure what you are trying to say...

I drove my truck 1800 miles home, I know the feeling lol. The only time I actually liked the lane keep assist in the middle of the night half falling asleep.

Does anyone have any footage from their own trucks they can share since it seems that the video they posted was a bad example (at least for Rams)
Factory lane keep assist on RAM is a peace of junk. Comma 3 is completely different. Just noted the new price on their website. I paid $2200 14 months ago. One of the best purchases I ever made. Last SunnyPilot fork is so nice.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Factory lane keep assist on RAM is a peace of junk. Comma 3 is completely different. Just noted the new price on their website. I paid $2200 14 months ago.
Yeah that's why i'm inquiring. I was turned off the price and it looks like it went down quite a bit especially with tax return season coming around.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yeah that's why i'm inquiring. I was turned off the price and it looks like it went down quite a bit especially with tax return season coming around.
The reduced the price because it has become cheaper for them to make them. Not that they are using cheaper parts, but they have been able to do a lot in house now. I was one of the first to get it for the Ram and it has gotten so much better now than when we first started. We still have a few things to implement, but it just takes a lot of stress out of driving. I don't have any videos from my perspective, but I do have some from the Comma device. It is still a level 2 self-driving device which means you have to still pay attention. It can't sense other cars crossing into your lane if it can't see them. Its eyes are mostly out the windshield. It can see some of the sides, but again, you wouldn't want to ever rely on it. I cannot recommend it enough.

Daverous

Reaction score
I'll see what I can grab on a 15 hour trip tomorrow. The issue is uploading any meaningful amount of footage is hard to accomplish without editing. I'm generally pressed for time😔

I do 750-800 mile trip every two weeks and can absolutely say the C3 has made that drive so much better. Do I let it drive for me on narrow surface streets downtown? Nope. Does it do great on my bypass runs to work and bigger highway trips? Absofreakinglutley.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
You won’t regret it. Quite a few of us here are also active on the comma discord, which is a very helpful community. I’ll try to grab you some footage the next time I’m out.

Users who are viewing this thread