5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did 2600 mile trip last Sept. My hands were off the wheel about 95% of the Time.
There was some traffic and some construction zones that Closed lanes that made
you touch the Wheel. The rest was local traffic in Detroit and Mt Vernon Ill.

Malodave

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Still only like 2 and a half minutes of youtube videos of anyone with a Comma AI (2) in a Ram 1500 for some reason.
One of them shows it running over the rumble strip in the middle of the road into oncoming traffic (empty lane).

I find it odd that there aren't a bunch more videos in this day and age.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Still only like 2 and a half minutes of youtube videos of anyone with a Comma AI (2) in a Ram 1500 for some reason.
One of them shows it running over the rumble strip in the middle of the road into oncoming traffic (empty lane).

I sent you a PM.

toyboy1980

Reaction score

Sorry, I’ve been out of town for a few weeks. Here’s a random 5 minute-ish clip of interstate cruising. Comma was engaged the whole time. No interaction from me during the video.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need to set up my phone to record a drive. I could use a Dashcam file, but it would not show the hands off the wheel.
I use it on my 30 mile commute everyday.

Malodave

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm going to bite the bullet and try it.

I'm not a YouTube creator, but if anyone wanted I bet someone could get a lot of viewa and ad money if they posted some footage driving hands free in a ram with a gopro mounted inside or something.

Or not, I never know how evil YouTube is anymore.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I'm going to bite the bullet and try it.

I'm not a YouTube creator, but if anyone wanted I bet someone could get a lot of viewa and ad money if they posted some footage driving hands free in a ram with a gopro mounted inside or something.

Or not, I never know how evil YouTube is anymore.
Driving from Nashville to Dallas in March, and REALLY looking forward to having the comma do it for me. Haha.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what do we need to prove here and how long video on youtube has to be, to show that comma is good.
I thought that looked like Spokane. Just over there couple of days abo to pick up a theodolite. I have towed a boat and fiver, and the fiver tows much better in the wind than the boat. Comma didn't like the cross wind with the boat. Long tongue and all.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the mirror really just "turns" in?

I can get it on tilting it like 40 degrees or whatever, but I don't want to snap anything while trying to line it up 90 degrees.

1674937044411.jpeg
1674937032678.jpeg 1674937035753.jpeg

I was trying to remove the mirror with the ball mount before doing anything else like in the install video, and the whole god damn thing came flying off.
The ball mount is still attached also LOL.

I only broke 1 clip mount, but I hot glue'd it back on.
Should be fine until I ever need to remove the shroud again and will just snap off once more.
1674937095346.jpeg

vincentw56

Reaction score

I can get it on tilting it like 40 degrees or whatever, but I don't want to snap anything while trying to line it up 90 degrees.

View attachment 150065
View attachment 150063 View attachment 150064

I was trying to remove the mirror with the ball mount before doing anything else like in the install video, and the whole god damn thing came flying off.

Should be fine until I ever need to remove the shroud again and will just snap off once more.
View attachment 150066
It's a pain, but it just twists back on.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's a pain, but it just twists back on.
Ok thanks.
Since I already ripped the whole thing off by mistake, I didn't want to brake anything else

I managed to not even touch this piece and get it removed without breaking it though lol.
It landed where I took there picture and the rest of the shroud landed on my passenger side floor mat.
No hand tools needed!
1674937973478.jpeg

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 150065
View attachment 150063 View attachment 150064

View attachment 150066
Try sitting in the passenger seat when you put the mirror back on. For whatever reason, I struggled from the driver seat but sitting in the passenger seat, I got the mirror back on my first try.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dang. I’ve never taken the mirror off during any of my comma installs.
Funny because I never took off the camera shroud during my comma install!
My device doesn't come in till Monday so I'll leave it hanging by the wires for another few days while I wait.
I hot glued clip and plastic back on today so hopefully sitting for 2 days makes it strong enough to at least slap on.

St-na

Reaction score
I took no mirror off, during my comma installation, but I did it several times on 4th Gen, was a bit tricky, but just a twist off/on.

the_glassman

Reaction score
Finally ordered my kit and hope to get the opportunity to install it this weekend. I ordered the base Comma. Does anyone know the largest SSD that can be added to the device? I was thinking of going with a 1 or 2TB at the minimum, but I’m not really sure it makes much sense to go larger than that.
Is Sunnypilot still the de facto choice?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Finally ordered my kit and hope to get the opportunity to install it this weekend. I ordered the base Comma. Does anyone know the largest SSD that can be added to the device? I was thinking of going with a 1 or 2TB at the minimum, but I’m not really sure it makes much sense to go larger than that.
Is Sunnypilot still the de facto choice?
2 TB will work fine. Sunnypilot or c3beta2. Are you part of our Discord? Lots more help there.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! I am indeed, although I find it much harder to glean the relevant information I’m generally looking for from there. Must be a generational thing? 🤣

Maybe, but I agree. Much more organized here on the forum than on the Discord platform.

Users who are viewing this thread