5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lane Departure Warning System vs. Lane Keeping Assist

Are these options as different as they sound from their description, or is this some anomaly where the same option is described two different ways? I'm after the lane keep assist, which to my understanding actually steers you back into the lane versus simply warning you about it. Is it possible to add this feature if you only have the LDWP? It's weird that I keep finding trucks with seemingly every driver safety feature known but not the lane keep assist. I would think this would go hand in hand with the Adaptive Cruise Control. Will either of these work with the Comma AI? Just weird wording for the same thing or is this more chip shortage fallout?
It seems that would be correct. The LKA will nudge you back into the lane (Ping-Ponging). Where the LDWS is just an alarm for you to steer back into your lane.
We need LKA and ACC in the RAM trucks to make the Comma work with it.

Malodave

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lane Departure Warning System vs. Lane Keeping Assist

Are these options as different as they sound from their description, or is this some anomaly where the same option is described two different ways? I'm after the lane keep assist, which to my understanding actually steers you back into the lane versus simply warning you about it. Is it possible to add this feature if you only have the LDWP? It's weird that I keep finding trucks with seemingly every driver safety feature known but not the lane keep assist. I would think this would go hand in hand with the Adaptive Cruise Control. Will either of these work with the Comma AI? Just weird wording for the same thing or is this more chip shortage fallout?

I had LKA in my '19 and have it now in my '21. It is pretty much worthless. Just an FYI. All it really does is annoy me when I try to change lanes without signaling. I generally cannot even drive down a straight road without my hands on the wheel. LKA will not keep me on the road for all that long. And definitely not if the road curves at all.

OTOH, you need it and ACC in order to use a Comma with OpenPilot. And OpenPilot is awesome. But, really, at this point in the OpenPilot software's life, OP is really just what LKA should have been.

That said, OP will, at some point in the not-too-distant future, have the ability to slow down for curves when needed and, eventually, recognize stop signs and traffic lights and stop for them. At that point, OP will obviously be far exceeding what LKA is supposed to do.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had LKA in my '19 and have it now in my '21. It is pretty much worthless. Just an FYI. All it really does is annoy me when I try to change lanes without signaling. I generally cannot even drive down a straight road without my hands on the wheel. LKA will not keep me on the road for all that long. And definitely not if the road curves at all.

OTOH, you need it and ACC in order to use a Comma with OpenPilot. And OpenPilot is awesome. But, really, at this point in the OpenPilot software's life, OP is really just what LKA should have been.

That said, OP will, at some point in the not-too-distant future, have the ability to slow down for curves when needed and, eventually, recognize stop signs and traffic lights and stop for them. At that point, OP will obviously be far exceeding what LKA is supposed to do.
LKA is no LKC (Lane Keep Center). LKA is just to help you from crossing lanes. LKC is what OP is at this time. There are some new vehicles getting LKC. Ram was supposed to get it sometime.

alex3610

Reaction score
So if I find a truck that has ACC but only includes LDWP that will NOT work with the Comma, AI & Open Pilot? I MUST have ACC AND LKA? Is that correct?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So if I find a truck that has ACC but only includes LDWP that will NOT work with the Comma, AI & Open Pilot? I MUST have ACC AND LKA? Is that correct?
The two nomenclatures you are using are not separate options. The full official name of the system is “LaneSense Lane Departure Warning WITH Lane-Keep Assist”. It includes visual and audio alerts, and active assistance. It’s all one option, and you either have the whole system, or none of it at all.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The two nomenclatures you are using are not separate options. The full official name of the system is “LaneSense Lane Departure Warning WITH Lane-Keep Assist”. It includes visual and audio alerts, and active assistance. It’s all one option, and you either have the whole system, or none of it at all.
Right. LKA was never intended to drive the truck, just warn and steer it back toward the lane. It's kind of like, a hands on type deal. You still have to be a participant.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone who has contact with Comma Ai on this thread also possibly suggest to them to add a security feature? I’ve been thinking since it videos our face while driving if there could simply be an option to start video upon entry. This way the thieves face is on camera. Might help in conviction of caught. Just a thought.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Can anyone who has contact with Comma Ai on this thread also possibly suggest to them to add a security feature? I’ve been thinking since it videos our face while driving if there could simply be an option to start video upon entry. This way the thieves face is on camera. Might help in conviction of caught. Just a thought.
Go to there Discord and give them the suggestion. Or develop it since it is open source. The device does shutdown after time so I'm not sure it would be on all the time.

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Laramie with ACC and LKA. I have a comma 2 that I used in a Hyundai. I installed it in the Ram and it only shows the summary page. Will it work with the regular openpilot or do I need a C3?

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Laramie with ACC and LKA. I have a comma 2 that I used in a Hyundai. I installed it in the Ram and it only shows the summary page. Will it work with the regular openpilot or do I need a C3?
I think C2 is not officially supported on RAM. Official support comes on the C3, but there's one supported i think you can install using fork installer generator

Reaction score
We have several people running the C2 on the Ram using a custom fork.
I get lost in the discord and haven't found anything. I had a friend in IT help me SSH with the Hyundai but I don't have that help available right now. I would love to get the url for one of the forks so I can install directly on the C2.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I tried that and only got the summary page still. I never see the camera view. Maybe I should try another C2 that I have to see if there is something wrong with this one.
What do you mean the summary page? Are you sure your wiring is correct? Try the other C2, if it still isn't working, maybe it is your wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread