5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

bucolic

Reaction score
Just go to comma.ai, choose storage size, choose vehicle, and order. Everything you need comes in the mail. All cables, harness, and connectors. You don't want to order the dev kit, just the car harness you need.

I am ready to pull the trigger on this. I am a bit confused on this though. All I see is a Dev ket for Comma available to order. I don't see an option that isn't the dev kit. I also see someone else mentioned the cable is actually not available for our Rams yet so do I need to order that from @Malodave here in the forum?

Pretty exciting our Rams are now supported! That is what I was waiting for and should make my 3 500-mile round trips a month a bit less tiring!

s0c3 Branch for the Comma3. But I have to try it in the morning.

The Comma.ai CEO's RAM limited is working with the Steer to 0 now too.

This sounds pretty awesome. Did you get a chance to test this out yet?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am ready to pull the trigger on this. I am a bit confused on this though. All I see is a Dev ket for Comma available to order. I don't see an option that isn't the dev kit. I also see someone else mentioned the cable is actually not available for our Rams yet so do I need to order that from @Malodave here in the forum?

Pretty exciting our Rams are now supported! That is what I was waiting for and should make my 3 500-mile round trips a month a bit less tiring!

The dev kit is what you will need, and is available through comma . Malodave has a harness for sale(reasonable), and a mirror housing mount that I use. That will get you up and running.
Yes, I am running the s0c31500 software, and it is awesome. Steer to zero, resume or gar to restart from a stop. Can't wait to test whatever is next.

Last edited:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will chime in and say that i will not own another vehicle that does not "drive itself" on the highway at a minimum. Completely changes the game. I've logged over 20,000 miles on my C2 and absolutely cannot go back. It's interesting how much less tired you are when let the truck drive itself. Comma officially supporting is a big upside too. We should have full longitudinal control over the vehicle in a few months i predict. This will drastically improve the ACC functionality of the truck.

You might have to get a C3. I now am running steer to zero, and it is a game changer. Long will up the anti dramatically. Stop sign/light recognition will be a huge advantage.

I keep seeing these references to getting longitudinal control through Comma and I still don't understand why that's a big deal. The factory ACC is giving long control now, right?

I don't know how the factory ACC works when it's being controlled by a Comma, but when used all by itself, it works fine, to me. Well, let me re-state that. It works adequately. It has little foibles that I have learned to work around.

For example, if I catch up to a slower vehicle, it will slow down to match their speed. I move over to a clear lane and then it takes a couple of seconds before it starts to accelerate back up to my set speed. Is that something that having long control in the Comma is going to make better? And the "better" is just less of a delay before it starts to accelerate back up to speed?

To me, that is just not that big a deal. Mainly because if I let my truck slow down to match a slower car, I have already failed. I try to pay attention and notice when that is about to happen, so I can change lanes before my truck starts to slow down. Until the Comma can recognize those situations and do a lane change on its own, I'm not sure why having long control in the Comma, instead of just relying on factory ACC, is a big deal.

Help me understand?

I went through the same questions you're asking about a week or so ago. Hopefully, this will help you some:

On the Comma website, they list a "car harness" and a "harness connector" for sale.

To me, a "car harness" would be the thing with all the wires and the connectors on the ends. A "harness connector" might be the same thing or it might just mean the molex connectors on the ends of the car harness.

That was all wrong, but it threw me off for a while.

In Commaspeak, the "harness connector" is what I would have called the wiring harness. The harness connector is the thing with all the wires and the molex connectors on the ends.

The "car harness" is a kit that includes the wiring harness (aka "harness connector"), and all the other stuff you need to install a Comma in your vehicle. I.e. the car harness is a kit that includes the harness connector, the harness box, the Comma power adapter, the USB-C cable, the CAT6 ethernet (aka RJ-45) cable, and a couple of mount plates (one of which gets "permanently" stuck to your windshield and then the Comma slides into it to be held up for use - plus one spare).

I think Comma would have made it all a lot less confusing for newbies like myself if they had just called the one thing the "wiring harness" and the other the "wiring harness kit". Anyway...

Comma does not currently have the actual wiring harness (aka harness connector) for our trucks. So, to install a Comma in a RAM, you can either spend $200 and buy a "car harness" from them for most any other vehicle (and have everything you need plus a harness connector that you don't need, but could possibly sell), or you can just buy the individual parts that you need - i.e. harness box, power adapter, RJ-45 cable, USB-C cable, and mounting plates, and save $20.

Whichever way you go, you'll still need a wiring harness, which Comma does not have for the RAM right now, but you can buy from @Malodave. I think he's charging $20, with shipping for that part. And, if you do buy that from him, you might also consider buying his 3D-printed mirror mount, so you can mount your Comma that way, instead of having to stick something semi-permanently on your windshield.

As I said, I'm about a week ahead of you going down this path. Once I figured all this stuff out, I got on the Comma Discords (there's 2, a Comma one and a RAM OpenPilot one) and looked in the Comma for-sale channel. I picked up a used Comma 2, with wiring harness (for a Hyundai), for $500. I ordered the harness connector for a RAM (and a mirror mount) from malodave. When it all arrives (tomorrow, I think), I should be able to install it all in my truck, with no other purchases needed, load the right fork of OP, and start driving. Or, letting it drive me.... :D

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The s0c3 branch worked going in to work with the Steer to 0 MPH. But it failed after work. Even with three reboots with truck starts.
I got an error to Service the Lane Keep Assist on the EVIC screen. I reloaded C3release this morning and the truck cleared the code by itself.
It is driving as before. There seems to be certain firmware versions for the EPS that do not work. I have to find out what mine has.

I will reload the s0c3 branch and try again.

I have about 20 Harness already made up and ready to ship along with the Comma2 and Comma3 "Mirror Mounts."
It actually mounts to the DASM cover right behind the Mirror.

Malodave

tdb0021

Reaction score
Long control by comma will overall be a better experience. Comma uses vision + radar to determine how quickly to accelerate, decelerate, etc. It also will slow down for you on sharp curves, ramps, etc. Biggest issue i have with factory ACC is it's use under 55mph. It just does a poor job managing stop and go traffic. OP long will eliminate this altogether, making the truck drive more like a human.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Long control by comma will overall be a better experience. Comma uses vision + radar to determine how quickly to accelerate, decelerate, etc. It also will slow down for you on sharp curves, ramps, etc. Biggest issue i have with factory ACC is it's use under 55mph. It just does a poor job managing stop and go traffic. OP long will eliminate this altogether, making the truck drive more like a human.

I use my ACC all the time. In stop'n'go traffic as well as on the highway. My only nit to pick with it in SnG traffic is that it is slow to start accelerating when traffic in front of me accelerates (while rolling or from a stop), and it generally does not accelerate as hard as I would myself once it does start trying to catch up.

Because of that, I often step on the pedal myself to get going and/or get up to speed. Then I just let off the pedal and let ACC resume control.

If OP longitudinal control makes it where I no longer feel a need to do that, that will be cool. But, I don't feel like it will seem like a real "game-changer" to me. A nice improvement, but not a game-changer.

For slowing/stopping, the stock ACC behavior generally seems fine to me and I rarely interfere with it.

That said, having it slow down for sharp curves sounds cool, but it also seems like it could be problematic. I tend to go around corners and curves faster than some other people are comfortable with. I would probably get annoyed if OP were slowing down too much. When it can adjust the ACC speed setting based on changing speed limits, that will be very handy and would probably mostly take care of cases where I would want it to slow down for me. I.e. that feature would (I think) mostly render slowing down for sharp curves somewhat moot (for me).

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use my ACC all the time. In stop'n'go traffic as well as on the highway. My only nit to pick with it in SnG traffic is that it is slow to start accelerating when traffic in front of me accelerates (while rolling or from a stop), and it generally does not accelerate as hard as I would myself once it does start trying to catch up.

Because of that, I often step on the pedal myself to get going and/or get up to speed. Then I just let off the pedal and let ACC resume control.

If OP longitudinal control makes it where I no longer feel a need to do that, that will be cool. But, I don't feel like it will seem like a real "game-changer" to me. A nice improvement, but not a game-changer.

For slowing/stopping, the stock ACC behavior generally seems fine to me and I rarely interfere with it.

That said, having it slow down for sharp curves sounds cool, but it also seems like it could be problematic. I tend to go around corners and curves faster than some other people are comfortable with. I would probably get annoyed if OP were slowing down too much. When it can adjust the ACC speed setting based on changing speed limits, that will be very handy and would probably mostly take care of cases where I would want it to slow down for me. I.e. that feature would (I think) mostly render slowing down for sharp curves somewhat moot (for me).

OP will cancel with a Brake or Gas pedal press. we have a toggle in the custom branches to disable the Cancel to about 20% throttle.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The s0c3 branch worked going in to work with the Steer to 0 MPH. But it failed after work. Even with three reboots with truck starts.
I got an error to Service the Lane Keep Assist on the EVIC screen. I reloaded C3release this morning and the truck cleared the code by itself.
It is driving as before. There seems to be certain firmware versions for the EPS that do not work. I have to find out what mine has.

I have about 20 Harness already made up and ready to ship along with the Comma2 and Comma3 "Mirror Mounts."

Malodave
Try the s0c3beta1500. I tested it yesterday and it seemed pretty stable. No errors and very smoth.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is, and you have to turn the toggle off to stop the "disable on gas" from being active.

Another question: If you have OP set to disengage on Gas pedal, does it also disengage ACC? Or just stop steering, but ACC continues to control speed?

Stock ACC does not change at all, no matter how much I use the gas pedal. That is how (I think) I would want OP to work, too. It sounds like the toggle to turn off "disable on gas" will let me have exactly that. I can use the gas pedal and the steering wheel as much as I want, and when I take my hands and foot off those controls, OP will just smoothly resume controlling the pedal and wheel for me, yes? It almost sounds too good to be true. LOL

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another question: If you have OP set to disengage on Gas pedal, does it also disengage ACC? Or just stop steering, but ACC continues to control speed?

Stock ACC does not change at all, no matter how much I use the gas pedal. That is how (I think) I would want OP to work, too. It sounds like the toggle to turn off "disable on gas" will let me have exactly that. I can use the gas pedal and the steering wheel as much as I want, and when I take my hands and foot off those controls, OP will just smoothly resume controlling the pedal and wheel for me, yes? It almost sounds too good to be true. LOL
true. When using the steer to zero, the truck will pull up to and stop behind the lead vehicle. Then when traffic starts to move, you can either press the resume on the steering wheel, or press the gas, and op will continue on it's merry way with no other intervention from the driver.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
true. When using the steer to zero, the truck will pull up to and stop behind the lead vehicle. Then when traffic starts to move, you can either press the resume on the steering wheel, or press the gas, and op will continue on it's merry way with no other intervention from the driver.

That's exactly how stock ACC works, which I like.

The question is: If my truck turns out to not support Steer to Zero, THEN how will my truck work when using OP in that scenario? Will it stop steering below some certain speed, but ACC will continue to brake down to zero and resume from zero like it does now (either automatically, on a very short stop, or by hitting Resume or pressing the gas pedal)?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's exactly how stock ACC works, which I like.

The question is: If my truck turns out to not support Steer to Zero, THEN how will my truck work when using OP in that scenario? Will it stop steering below some certain speed, but ACC will continue to brake down to zero and resume from zero like it does now (either automatically, on a very short stop, or by hitting Resume or pressing the gas pedal)?
Yes. If your software will not support steer to zero, then op will notify you that it is no longer steering below 32, but ACC will still do what ACC do. I believe that the truck controls are passed through the comma, and work as normal.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. If your software will not support steer to zero, then op will notify you that it is no longer steering below 32, but ACC will still do what ACC do. I believe that the truck controls are passed through the comma, and work as normal.

Awesome. Thank you.

In that case, I think I will really enjoy OP, whether I get S2Z or not right now.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Ram Specific Harness and Mirror Mount to move the comma device just behind and below the mirror.
There is also a 6 switch panel I designed to replace the Sunglass Cubby.

Malodave
Hi Dave,

Where did you route the USB cable through for the comma 3 in those photos?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Where did you route the USB cable through for the comma 3 in those photos?
The new mount has a clip to hold the usb cable then feed it thru the hole for the Rearview mirror to the Black Connector box from Comma.

My original installation, I filed a "Mouse Hole" in the edge of the DASM cover.

Malodave

bucolic

Reaction score

Malodave

Thanks for all the info.!

So, if I purchase the Comma dev kit from Comma.ai, and then the harness and the mount from you is that all I need? Is it just plug-and-play with nothing else to purchase? Just install in the truck as per instructions, load stable software and it's done?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We are testing the Steer to 0 MPH now. But yes, Comma does not have the Ram specific harness yet.
They are $20 each to my paypal. This includes shipping. Comma had the harness alone listed in the store for $100.
So the $20 from me is a bargain. it is about $12 in parts, $5 shipping, $1 padded envelope, and the running to the PO.
So I am only getting $1-2 for my time to make them. I am doing it for the cause, same with the testing new
and updated branches to get more features completed. Even the Mount files I have uploaded to the Discord Server
so anyone can print them if they like.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread