5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

sailouterbanks

Reaction score
Pretty cool that George Hotz, Comma CEO hopped on the Ram Discord chat the other night and asked about the RAM Comma 3 experience. Thanks to the RAM gurus online, while chatting George searched and found a Ram limited and purchased it! He getting it Wednesday. Said he's never owned a truck. Good news for RAM Comma users.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty cool that George Hotz, Comma CEO hopped on the Ram Discord chat the other night and asked about the RAM Comma 3 experience. Thanks to the RAM gurus online, while chatting George searched and found a Ram limited and purchased it! He getting it Wednesday. Said he's never owned a truck. Good news for RAM Comma users.
ohh man sick!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did some testing today wit one of the super-coders from comma today, and tested down to zero steer. Comma controlled steering to a full stop in traffic, and with a slight nudge of the gas, maintained steering and resumed speed and follow in traffic. What a great way to start the day.
Thanks Castle/
PS-BTW, Comma officially supports RAM 1500 now.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read this whole thread. I joined both of the Discord channels (Comma and RAM).

I have questions and the Discord seems, well, very poorly organized to collect info and have it preserved where future people with the same question can easily find it.

Posts earlier in this thread are almost a year old that say that OP is basically working for RAM 1500s.

I think I saw somewhere recently that the RAM 1500 has now been officially added to the list of supported vehicles by Comma. Correct?

So, there is a lot of info in this thread about things like making your own harness (or buying one from malodave, as I have done). And about different forks and different features.

Is most of that moot now?

It looks like I can order a C3 directly from Comma, with a wiring harness for a RAM 1500 (2019+).

So, no longer any need to order a "dev kit"? No longer a need to make your own harness?

And what about OP? Can I just order a C3 and install whatever the latest release is from Comma of OP and expect it to just work (in my '21 1500 EcoDiesel)?

And what if I have a C2? I'm guessing the release version of OP from Comma does not support running on a C2? But there is some other fork out in the community that does?

Lastly, I want to confirm what all I need to go from Zero to Self-Driving. :)

Comma 2 or 3
Wiring harness (coming from malodave)
Mirror mount (not NEEDED, but also coming from malodave)
Comma mount (plastic piece that sticks to windshield or to malodave's mirror mount)
10 ft flat CAT6 ethernet cable
Comma Power adapter
Harness box
Some kind of USB-C cable? (to connect from C2/3 to Harness Box?)

Looking at the Comma Shop, I also see a thing called a "harness connector" (in addition to having something different called "car harness"). Do I need that?

Does the Comma Power thing plug directly into the OBD port below my steering wheel? Do I also need a Security Gateway Bypass kit of some kind to allow the Comma to work?

I'm trying to find a used Comma2 to buy. Of all that stuff that I need, what things should I expect to be included with the used C2?

Thanks!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read this whole thread. I joined both of the Discord channels (Comma and RAM).

I have questions and the Discord seems, well, very poorly organized to collect info and have it preserved where future people with the same question can easily find it.

Posts earlier in this thread are almost a year old that say that OP is basically working for RAM 1500s.

I think I saw somewhere recently that the RAM 1500 has now been officially added to the list of supported vehicles by Comma. Correct?

So, there is a lot of info in this thread about things like making your own harness (or buying one from malodave, as I have done). And about different forks and different features.

Is most of that moot now?

It looks like I can order a C3 directly from Comma, with a wiring harness for a RAM 1500 (2019+).

So, no longer any need to order a "dev kit"? No longer a need to make your own harness?

And what about OP? Can I just order a C3 and install whatever the latest release is from Comma of OP and expect it to just work (in my '21 1500 EcoDiesel)?

And what if I have a C2? I'm guessing the release version of OP from Comma does not support running on a C2? But there is some other fork out in the community that does?

Lastly, I want to confirm what all I need to go from Zero to Self-Driving. :)

Comma 2 or 3
Wiring harness (coming from malodave)
Mirror mount (not NEEDED, but also coming from malodave)
Comma mount (plastic piece that sticks to windshield or to malodave's mirror mount)
10 ft flat CAT6 ethernet cable
Comma Power adapter
Harness box
Some kind of USB-C cable? (to connect from C2/3 to Harness Box?)

Looking at the Comma Shop, I also see a thing called a "harness connector" (in addition to having something different called "car harness"). Do I need that?

Does the Comma Power thing plug directly into the OBD port below my steering wheel? Do I also need a Security Gateway Bypass kit of some kind to allow the Comma to work?

I'm trying to find a used Comma2 to buy. Of all that stuff that I need, what things should I expect to be included with the used C2?

Thanks!
Just go to comma.ai, choose storage size, choose vehicle, and order. Everything you need comes in the mail. All cables, harness, and connectors. You don't want to order the dev kit, just the car harness you need.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just go to comma.ai, choose storage size, choose vehicle, and order. Everything you need comes in the mail. All cables, harness, and connectors. You don't want to order the dev kit, just the car harness you need.

I'm hunting a Comma 2. They seem to go for $500 - 600 on the Discord chat. I'd like to try out self-driving - but not at $2200 or more. I can steer my truck myself for $2200. I'm really totally happy with the ACC in my truck. But, having Lane Keeping that actually WORKS and not just assists would definitely be nice. But, right now, I can't see it being $2K Nice. I drove 1900 miles last week, just on Tuesday and Wednesday. The factory ACC is what really made that easy and comfortable. Having the truck steer itself is not nearly as handy (to me) as just having ACC that works. Honestly, I foresee the utility of the Comma being primarily in letting me eat while I'm driving more safely. LOL :D Generally speaking, doing the steering myself is not an issue the rest of the time (when I'm not trying to eat while driving).

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm hunting a Comma 2. They seem to go for $500 - 600 on the Discord chat. I'd like to try out self-driving - but not at $2200 or more. I can steer my truck myself for $2200. I'm really totally happy with the ACC in my truck. But, having Lane Keeping that actually WORKS and not just assists would definitely be nice. But, right now, I can't see it being $2K Nice. I drove 1900 miles last week, just on Tuesday and Wednesday. The factory ACC is what really made that easy and comfortable. Having the truck steer itself is not nearly as handy (to me) as just having ACC that works. Honestly, I foresee the utility of the Comma being primarily in letting me eat while I'm driving more safely. LOL :D Generally speaking, doing the steering myself is not an issue the rest of the time (when I'm not trying to eat while driving).
just a while back I did over 600 in a day with NO fatigue, and not worn out. All was on 2 lane secondary's and 2 lane highways. At 74 yr old , that is totally relaxing, although it was not steer to zero yet. Wouldn't do a long trip without it now.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just a while back I did over 600 in a day with NO fatigue, and not worn out. All was on 2 lane secondary's and 2 lane highways. At 74 yr old , that is totally relaxing, although it was not steer to zero yet. Wouldn't do a long trip without it now.

Just curious, how much have you driven with Adaptive Cruise Control before you got your Comma?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious, how much have you driven with Adaptive Cruise Control before you got your Comma?
A lot. Because I used it frequently in highway driving and am a snowbird, I would guess 15000 miles with ACC of the 40000 on my 2019 Ram. I now have 8300 miles on my comma, so I think I do have some experience.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot. Because I used it frequently in highway driving and am a snowbird, I would guess 15000 miles with ACC of the 40000 on my 2019 Ram. I now have 8300 miles on my comma, so I think I do have some experience.

Awesome! That means a lot more (in my mind) than somebody that went from no ACC at all to using Comma. Thank you!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
s0c3 Branch for the Comma3. But I have to try it in the morning.

The Comma.ai CEO's RAM limited is working with the Steer to 0 now too.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like they had a mix-up with their harness availability - comma does not actually have the RAM harness available yet. Stated 1-2 weeks until they release it. I almost ordered yesterday, and they have since removed the option for our harness.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love ACC, but now I really cant drive without the comma
Oh, and BTW, some of the guys are running down to zero mph steer on C@"s.

I saw that. I just closed a deal to buy a Comma 2. Found via for-sale in the Comma Discord. As long as it wasn't a scam (which I'm pretty confident it was not), I should have mine around the end of the week. Can't wait to get it and have time to install it and set it up!

tdb0021

Reaction score
I will chime in and say that i will not own another vehicle that does not "drive itself" on the highway at a minimum. Completely changes the game. I've logged over 20,000 miles on my C2 and absolutely cannot go back. It's interesting how much less tired you are when let the truck drive itself. Comma officially supporting is a big upside too. We should have full longitudinal control over the vehicle in a few months i predict. This will drastically improve the ACC functionality of the truck.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will chime in and say that i will not own another vehicle that does not "drive itself" on the highway at a minimum. Completely changes the game. I've logged over 20,000 miles on my C2 and absolutely cannot go back. It's interesting how much less tired you are when let the truck drive itself. Comma officially supporting is a big upside too. We should have full longitudinal control over the vehicle in a few months i predict. This will drastically improve the ACC functionality of the truck.
You might have to get a C3. I now am running steer to zero, and it is a game changer. Long will up the anti dramatically. Stop sign/light recognition will be a huge advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread