5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intakes

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the guys I hang out with have 600+rwhp cars and we all enjoy drag racing. A few are over 1000rwhp. We appreciate each other's vehicles and enjoy seeing what the others have done since the last time we met. Which usually is performance mods under the hood. we aren't usually playing in mud holes with other guys
This isn't a Jeep/bronco forum...so no mud holes here. But a truck guy hanging out with that crowd...sounds like you're in the wrong type of vehicle. Planning on supercharging your Ram..? Maybe some 28 inch chrome rims to go with it..? Lol.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This just shows who has a life and who doesnt. I can appreciate mods to a vehicle, after all I currently have 9. But none of the guys I hang out with could give a rat's *** what I have done to my 2020 model. They just look at it and wish they had it stock to begin with.
For sure! My latest mod is the massive dent that was just put in my rear bumper from some hit and run driver...maybe now I can go hangout at the nearest Mustang club lol.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't a Jeep/bronco forum...so no mud holes here. But a truck guy hanging out with that crowd...sounds like you're in the wrong type of vehicle. Planning on supercharging your Ram..? Maybe some 28 inch chrome rims to go with it..? Lol.
So truck guys can't hang out with drag racers? I own more than one truck. And my "toy" is a 00 Dakota R/T. Which is my go fast toy. Also have a 66 D100 318/4-speed for a slow cruiser.

You can see my 1200rwhp Corvette friends car in background of my Dakota picture

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1589388996895.jpg
    FB_IMG_1589388996895.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20200813_201518.jpg
    IMG_20200813_201518.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 65

puba08

Reaction score
I live on Long Island and for the most part the majority of NY is extremely expensive similar to CA. Because of the pandemic and loss of employment by millions, people are realizing they’re better off living else where for a much cheaper cost. Thousands of people are flocking to Northeast PA where the area isn’t great (high crime) but the cost of living is extremely cheap.

I’m on LI too. Suffolk. 13 more years and I’m out or at least getting another residence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I live on Long Island and for the most part the majority of NY is extremely expensive similar to CA. Because of the pandemic and loss of employment by millions, people are realizing they’re better off living else where for a much cheaper cost. Thousands of people are flocking to Northeast PA where the area isn’t great (high crime) but the cost of living is extremely cheap.

I get it, I was not trying to judge people who live there or are moving from there. I apologize if I came across that way.

JP-Limited

Reaction score
All 3 generations of Ram Hemi's that I've owned have rocked the Vararam. I've been working near Houston for the last few years so for the last 2 trucks I've just showed up to their shop and picked one up.

Atrophaeus

Reaction score
Late to the party but wanted to chime in. I installed the Ram Airflow and it's the best decision for cold air. Yes it's more expensive than the Vararam, but for me it's a better sound along with pulling from in front of the radiator while also keeping it looking nice. It's not as loud as the Vararam but I like that it's not and it's OEM. The unit just looks nice too.

Attachments

• 20200315_173145.jpg
    20200315_173145.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 66

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Late to the party but wanted to chime in. I installed the Ram Airflow and it's the best decision for cold air. Yes it's more expensive than the Vararam, but for me it's a better sound along with pulling from in front of the radiator while also keeping it looking nice. It's not as loud as the Vararam but I like that it's not and it's OEM. The unit just looks nice too.
You made the right choice... (y) :cool:

Atrophaeus

Reaction score
You know the stock airbox pulls from in front of the radiator/condenser also...
yup it does, just a much smaller surface area hole than the Ram Airflow. But as some other's have said, you can increase the air in, but if you can't get it out you will not see a huge difference. I just swapped out the stock muffler for a super44 and noticed 2 mile per gallon improvement and to me it feels stronger (maybe it's more from the sound of the airflow and muffler). Either way, every time I remote start and hear that rumble, it puts a smile on my face (my kids laugh at me) and in the end, isn't that the point? Our trucks should make us happy and excited.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just swapped out the stock muffler for a super44 and noticed 2 mile per gallon improvement
I really don't thing this is the case. Many factors will influence mileage. The OEM exhaust is already a very good exhaust and just swapping a muffler, as a ton of us have done, will not net any real gains in mpg.

Scarriere

Reaction score
I really don't thing this is the case. Many factors will influence mileage. The OEM exhaust is already a very good exhaust and just swapping a muffler, as a ton of us have done, will not net any real gains in mpg.
I disagree.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reducing exhaust backpressure can improve fuel economy and performance.

Reducing restrictions in the exhaust system and the air intake allows the exhaust to flow more easily so the engine can breathe more efficiently.

The most common modification is to replace the stock muffler with a low restriction aftermarket performance muffler, or to replace the entire stock exhaust system from the catalytic converter back with a free-flowing aftermarket performance exhaust system.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reducing exhaust backpressure can improve fuel economy and performance.

Reducing restrictions in the exhaust system and the air intake allows the exhaust to flow more easily so the engine can breathe more efficiently.

The most common modification is to replace the stock muffler with a low restriction aftermarket performance muffler, or to replace the entire stock exhaust system from the catalytic converter back with a free-flowing aftermarket performance exhaust system.
Not trying to get in the war of MPG gains, as I do hope I see some gains though :D, but did your mileage increase at all? I'm already getting great MPG's so I'm not going for that even though it's not a bad thing, just curious. I like read up on this and expand my knowledge of intakes and exhausts and their improvements.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not trying to get in the war of MPG gains, as I do hope I see some gains though :D, but did your mileage increase at all? I'm already getting great MPG's so I'm not going for that even though it's not a bad thing, just curious. I like read up on this and expand my knowledge of intakes and exhausts and their improvements.
I have noticed a 1-2 MPG since I have added the Ram Airflow and the B2 Fabrications Performance Muffler.

Currently I'm averaging between 19-20 MPG on the truck. (y) :cool:

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed a 1-2 MPG since I have added the Ram Airflow and the B2 Fabrications Performance Muffler.

Cool, I'm not an aggressive driver, so if I see a 1-2 MPG increase I'll be doing great!

Just to let everyone know, I'm not buying the intake for the MPG's, I'm buying it for the looks and cause I like to mod my truck and make it my own. Now if I gain some MPG's in the process heck yeah :cool:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My MPG improved too between the intake and magnaflow exhaust.
The problem is I fell in love with the sound, and while part of me wants to slow down and enjoy some mpg?
Part of me says...

tumblr_o1j3vkrcBf1sx2peuo4_500.gifv

:ROFLMAO:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yup it does, just a much smaller surface area hole than the Ram Airflow. But as some other's have said, you can increase the air in, but if you can't get it out you will not see a huge difference. I just swapped out the stock muffler for a super44 and noticed 2 mile per gallon improvement and to me it feels stronger (maybe it's more from the sound of the airflow and muffler). Either way, every time I remote start and hear that rumble, it puts a smile on my face (my kids laugh at me) and in the end, isn't that the point? Our trucks should make us happy and excited.
I doubt just swapping the muffler alone netted any performance increase especially if youeft resonators on. The stock exhaust flows well already.

Atrophaeus

Reaction score
I doubt just swapping the muffler alone netted any performance increase especially if youeft resonators on. The stock exhaust flows well already.
I can only tell you what the average reading says with my same driving route/mode. It's as close to accurate as I could get. I also agree the exhaust pipe is very well done as verified by my buddy who designs and builds performance exhausts for racers. It was he who noticed the stock muffler is a giant barrel that is not very efficient in air flow and swapping that out with a performance muffler eases the flow restriction. It's basic physics isn't it? Reduce the flow restrictions means more gets out faster/easier. Also means more air can get in. The stock muffler is huge...like 4-6x the size of the super 44. I also agree removing the resonators would help more by further reducing the air resistance, but based on my buddies expertise, he said the stock muffler would have a greater resistance to the flow than the resonators and yes removing them would help but also substantially increase the noise, which I did not want.

In the end, the CAI increases the ability for more air and the optimization of the muffler increases the flow out. Making the engine breath better and burn better. The stock intakes and mufflers are all designed primarily for noise and certain state requirements, not for performance. I would say doing one without the other doesn't usually help, but with both it did on my average mpg reading on the gage.

Users who are viewing this thread