5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intakes

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My opinion, get the one you think looks the best, because once you get past the aesthetics, there really isn't any gain to be had by installing one. Or the one that fits your budget. Personally, I will more than likely get the vararam for looks alone

Kob0583

Reaction score
Went from a drop in to RAMAIR happy with both but got a MPG increase off the RAMAIR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't touch ANY oiled filter. But the Ram air would be nice...too bad it's so expensive. Myself...I'm going with either an AEM drop-in, or a Volant dry flow. (Volant is owned by Corsa) and they work with Etorque...unlike the Corsa intake.
I stand corrected... Volant does Not work with Etorque. My bad!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My opinion, get the one you think looks the best, because once you get past the aesthetics, there really isn't any gain to be had by installing one. Or the one that fits your budget. Personally, I will more than likely get the vararam for looks alone
Looks? Do you drive around with your hood up? Lol

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just chiming in, i also removed the carbon filter and replaced the air filter with an AEM drop in and also have not noticed any differences in drive-ability or fuel mileage

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, changing out your filter, or installing a CAI, will not do much if anything for our trucks without a tune and a freer flowing exhaust. It will help the engine breathe a bit easier but nothing significant you should expect to "feel" or capture in gas mileage.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
They have been saying that for the last 7 years, even before I moved here, "mass exodus" they say, it's population is still the largest to this day, by a lot.

I honestly hope that happens, it would lower the prices of housing and rent. Texas is the only State that is close to CA, but it is still 10 million away, they ain't switching 1st & 2nd anytime soon. I guess you can have a "mass exodus" and still be the most populous state?

Either way, it's not just CA, CARB is followed by 12 other states which in total make up over 50% of new vehicle sales, which is where the power to the auto industry comes from. It's cheaper for the auto industry to simply follow CARB and apply it to everyone elese.
Well if you dont count all the "undocumented" aliens, the states population would be considerably less...

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I driving around today, all I saw
Well if you dont count all the "undocumented" aliens, the states population would be considerably less...

I'm talking about census numbers, they can't count people without social security numbers and confirmed addresses which is something undocumented aliens don't have. I came from Texas, which has plenty of undocumented aliens as well.

I'm been all over California for work, this place seems way more populated than Texas or Florida. The big negative of course is the cost of living, especially real estate prices are still very high here. A decent house in Dallas for $350K is similar to $750K in San Diego, I offered above asking and still didn't get it. I finally bought a house, from a fellow Texas expat that just retired, he can't afford to stay here on his retirement, but the profits he made from his house, he will be setup nice for a while.

It should be noted I live in San Diego now, which is a huge military town and has a Republican mayor. There are in fact a lot of counties like this in the state, also much of the state is rural and farm communities. I also lived in Europe for a while, which makes California politics seem like Texas in comparison.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks? Do you drive around with your hood up? Lol
I do go to car shows and cruise ins where you pop your hood. So if you don't care about looks, then why even change it?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do go to car shows and cruise ins where you pop your hood. So if you don't care about looks, then why even change it?
People don't go to car shows just to see air intakes...hell...most of the people that go don't even know the difference between a air intake and exhaust headers lol. The car shows you describe reminds me of the kind where people deck out their Honda civics and Eagle Talons

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
People don't go to car shows just to see air intakes...hell...most of the people that go don't even know the difference between a air intake and exhaust headers lol. The car shows you describe reminds me of the kind where people deck out their Honda civics and Eagle Talons
You must not hang out with many car guys. People I hang out with know the difference between and air intake and an intake manifold, and would appreciate the old school look of the Vararam over the ugly stock intake. Which I do as wellz which is why that is what I will probably go with. But hey, if you like stock looks, then keep the stock intake

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You must not hang out with many car guys. People I hang out with know the difference between and air intake and an intake manifold, and would appreciate the old school look of the Vararam over the ugly stock intake. Which I do as wellz which is why that is what I will probably go with. But hey, if you like stock looks, then keep the stock intake
So you guys just stand around with your hoods and flies open? Think I did that crap in high school and my early 20's. I'd rather actually drive my truck....on/off road, pulling/hauling...hell...even racing over that. "Check out my VTec" lmao!
You're right though...I hang out with true truck guys, not ricer car people.
We like aftermarket intakes....we just don't gawk at each other's pipes though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So you guys just stand around with your hoods and flies open? Think I did that crap in high school and my early 20's. I'd rather actually drive my truck....on/off road, pulling/hauling...hell...even racing over that. "Check out my VTec" lmao!
Most of the guys I hang out with have 600+rwhp cars and we all enjoy drag racing. A few are over 1000rwhp. We appreciate each other's vehicles and enjoy seeing what the others have done since the last time we met. Which usually is performance mods under the hood. we aren't usually playing in mud holes with other guys

INVISBLE

Reaction score
This just shows who has a life and who doesnt. I can appreciate mods to a vehicle, after all I currently have 9. But none of the guys I hang out with could give a rat's *** what I have done to my 2020 model. They just look at it and wish they had it stock to begin with.

Last edited:

Bwsteg

Reaction score
Yup. I don't live anywhere near there, but I've heard that repeated in various "fake news" stuff for a while.
According to a few places online that show population growth since 2010, all California counties over 100k in population, except Kings County, have experienced growth, many by double digit percentage points.

Not to go too far off topic, but if you want to see a mass exodus, look at NYC. Back in May, roughly 5% of the population of NYC had moved out, and its been a few months since then. Again, don't live there, but I've heard its now above 500k people that have moved out.

I live on Long Island and for the most part the majority of NY is extremely expensive similar to CA. Because of the pandemic and loss of employment by millions, people are realizing they’re better off living else where for a much cheaper cost. Thousands of people are flocking to Northeast PA where the area isn’t great (high crime) but the cost of living is extremely cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread