5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intakes

Night Rebel

Reaction score
Just getting some feed back on some intakes. Maybe S&B, K&N, Afe, or even the Vararam ram air. I do like the ramflow but not the price. The Vararam is cool but I would like to have an extra filter so one is always clean. What are y’all thoughts. Thanks.

Vincent r

Reaction score
Just getting some feed back on some intakes. Maybe S&B, K&N, Afe, or even the Vararam ram air. I do like the ramflow but not the price. The Vararam is cool but I would like to have an extra filter so one is always clean. What are y’all thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200519_162328.jpg
    20200519_162328.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 387

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Not to be "that guy", but there are a ton of these threads already talking about CAI.

My impression from reading those threads:

Half would tell you they provide no performance increase at all. Something about how these new engines work, constantly adjusting fuel and air based on the engines needs or whatever. So, basically sound good and looks cool in the engine.

The other half would tell you they were ultimately happy with whichever brand they got, but most agreed the Mopar and vararam styles were too pricey. I've seen a lot of people with the S&B though.

At some point in the future, when I have money to burn, and no other parts to get, I'll probably get the mopar CAI, just cause it looks cool.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Oh, forgot. A lot of people would direct you to simply replace the stock drop in with a few different brands (the green ones come to mind) for the best bang for your buck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Some of my thoughts were brought up by @NewTruckWhoDis . If you want something under the hood to look "cool", and you are looking for a bit more sound to come from under the hood, any of them will work and it is really personal preference. One is no better than another IMPO. If you are looking for any performance enhancements...save your money!

bigwhttrk19dt

Reaction score
Before you lay down your cash for the FCA air system, consider the CYA clause that FCA encloses with the product and ask the service manager if your vehicle will be covered...regardless of the flaw... if you install the product on your truck. Aesthetically, I agree it's cool. Performance wise...... unless you drive 70-90mph on a continual basis ........well it's pretty. ( Going back to the real HEMI scoop days ...)

Attachments

• img6303_600.jpg
    img6303_600.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 192
  • ramair hook.jpg
    ramair hook.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 196
  • PA030045 - Copy (2).JPG
    PA030045 - Copy (2).JPG
    102 KB · Views: 181

Kob0583

Reaction score
Any CAI that doesn’t have a carbon filter will have a similar statement. It’s away to get around CARB compliance for CA, it’s the only reason the stock CAI has a carbon filter, so it’s legal to sell in CA. They can get around this on aftermarket parts by stating they are for off-road or racing use only. It’s not so much a CYA more as the statement allows it to be sold in CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Prior to the CAI I installed the magnaflow cat back exhaust on my truck and then after I swapped out my 5,7 hemi stock in take with the AFE Magnum FORCE Stage 2 Pro DRY S Cold Air Intake I actually noticed a slight LOSS of power primarily in acceleration. Just felt a bit sluggish off the line compared to stock intake.. BUT! The way it made my truck sound with the magnaflow exhaust was just AWESOME!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any CAI that doesn’t have a carbon filter will have a similar statement. It’s away to get around CARB compliance for CA, it’s the only reason the stock CAI has a carbon filter, so it’s legal to sell in CA. They can get around this on aftermarket parts by stating they are for off-road or racing use only. It’s not so much a CYA more as the statement allows it to be sold in CA.

That makes sense. I've run non-CARB complaint intakes on my new vehicles before in California, mainly because they don't do smog test here until the vehicle is about 5 years old, and then it's every other year from that point.

I'll probably do the same for the RAM, because that FCA intake is EXPENSIVE! In 5 years when I have to take my first smog test, I'll switch back to stock. Though not thrilled about doing it again every 2 years.

Kob0583

Reaction score
That makes sense. I've run non-CARB complaint intakes on my new vehicles before in California, mainly because they don't do smog test here until the vehicle is about 5 years old, and then it's every other year from that point.

I'll probably do the same for the RAM, because that FCA intake is EXPENSIVE! In 5 years when I have to take my first smog test, I'll switch back to stock. Though not thrilled about doing it again every 2 years.

I had a TRD CAI on my taco but it was CARB compliant until I popped off the carbon filter, lucky it had a CARB stamp and was hard to pull apart so when I lived in CA it wasn’t an issue, buts how I learned how much CA influences the Auot Industry with its regulations. Guess when you have one of the largest economies and state populations you can do that.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Had a CAI on my ‘14 grand Cherokee, it was CARB compliant and traded it in for the Ram.

however, I did not notice any increase in a MPG nor HP just louder.

not leaving CA. retired military and I have lived all over the US and love the weather and that I can go from the beach to the mountains to the desert all within an hour or so. Not to mention we don’t have bugs.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not for long...people can't get out of CA fast enough!!!

They have been saying that for the last 7 years, even before I moved here, "mass exodus" they say, it's population is still the largest to this day, by a lot.

I honestly hope that happens, it would lower the prices of housing and rent. Texas is the only State that is close to CA, but it is still 10 million away, they ain't switching 1st & 2nd anytime soon. I guess you can have a "mass exodus" and still be the most populous state?

Either way, it's not just CA, CARB is followed by 12 other states which in total make up over 50% of new vehicle sales, which is where the power to the auto industry comes from. It's cheaper for the auto industry to simply follow CARB and apply it to everyone elese.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They have been saying that for the last 7 years, even before I moved here, "mass exodus" they say, it's population is still the largest to this day, by a lot.

Yup. I don't live anywhere near there, but I've heard that repeated in various "fake news" stuff for a while.
According to a few places online that show population growth since 2010, all California counties over 100k in population, except Kings County, have experienced growth, many by double digit percentage points.

Not to go too far off topic, but if you want to see a mass exodus, look at NYC. Back in May, roughly 5% of the population of NYC had moved out, and its been a few months since then. Again, don't live there, but I've heard its now above 500k people that have moved out.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't touch ANY oiled filter. But the Ram air would be nice...too bad it's so expensive. Myself...I'm going with either an AEM drop-in, or a Volant dry flow. (Volant is owned by Corsa) and they work with Etorque...unlike the Corsa intake.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't touch ANY oiled filter. But the Ram air would be nice...too bad it's so expensive. Myself...I'm going with either an AEM drop-in, or a Volant dry flow. (Volant is owned by Corsa) and they work with Etorque...unlike the Corsa intake.
I did the AEM dry drop in and very pleased.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wait there are NO bugs in CA ?
There are definitely bugs in Cali once you leave the major metro areas like LA/OC area, San Diego, and San Fran/Sac/San Jose areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online