5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intake

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

nilsfisher24

Reaction score
My search really sucks, I did and only a couple popped up and didn’t really describe about it much, the topic was changed about other ones to get. I’ll keep digging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scjon03

Reaction score
I say dont waste your money. I had a AFE CAI and it felt lIke I lost power, like a sluggish feeling on low end. I thought it was in my head so I reinstalled the stock and the sluggish feeling was gone. So I tried it again reinstalled the AFE and yup the sluggish feeling on low end again. Swapped it back to stock and good thing I was able to return the CAI. But good luck on whatever you do..

03SlowZ06

Reaction score
I don't understand the posts about "not needing anymore air" and "it's a waste of money" or "it felt sluggish". Is this a genuine popular opinion on here? Every engine, turbine or vacuum of any sort can benefit from more and cleaner air. Performance to longevity both hinge around the quality and quantity of air ingested. An intake change is very likely not causing your sluggish performance. There is a ton of research into air velocity and your throttle body would be the greatest restrictions with a good free flowing system. The stock system is designed to meet the budget friendly minimum not the maximum flow of air.

I'm going to hope that this is either satire or just a few unsatisfied customers.

Bubba33

Reaction score
It's a waste of money , no more air needed without a tune and headers and exhaust .Lets more air by and more dirt. Filter laying in the engine compartment is producing more cool air or hot air. Stock box pulls cool outdide air. The benefit from the makers of the cai. Show there minute gain at the very top end, which is useless .

03SlowZ06

Reaction score
It's a waste of money , no more air needed without a tune and headers and exhaust .Lets more air by and more dirt. Filter laying in the engine compartment is producing more cool air or hot air. Stock box pulls cool outdide air. The benefit from the makers of the cai. Show there minute gain at the very top end, which is useless .
I'm sorry but this just isn't correct. Yes it lets more air through, which is the point. Not sure how it will have more dirt? Filters are based on the micron size allowed to pass. The stock is much higher than a quality oiled aftermarket filter. The stock box pulls from a stagnant cavity not from outside.

Also a tune, headers and exhaust with improve the movement of the air as well, but you still are ignoring the actual greatest restrictions. Throttle body and Cams. A quality intake system is a good starting point for any future modifications.

We can argue this all day and never agree. You have your opinion and I have mine.

03SlowZ06

Reaction score
Also heat-soak from the engine bay plays very little role with plastic and cloth materials. The velocity of the air is going to easily off set any temperatures in front of the engine while the vehicle is in motion.

Scjon03

Reaction score
It's a waste of money. I did the test 3 to 4 times to make sure my "sluggish feeling" was confirmed. Without a proper tune the engine is going to take the air it needs and that's it. The stock box is just like a CAI. It is pulling air directly in front of the truck. Yes maybe the stock air filter can be better but I have also dropped in a KN air filter and same thing.. No "felt" performance. All these "Test" I have done on the same day all within about an hour of each other. Taking the same route and driving habits. I'm giving my opinion and saving the money. Of course what ever who ever does what it's their truck/money/experience. If your butt "felt" performance than go for it. My butt felt lost performance and the truck run better with stock.

03SlowZ06

Reaction score
It's a waste of money. I did the test 3 to 4 times to make sure my "sluggish feeling" was confirmed. Without a proper tune the engine is going to take the air it needs and that's it. The stock box is just like a CAI. It is pulling air directly in front of the truck. Yes maybe the stock air filter can be better but I have also dropped in a KN air filter and same thing.. No "felt" performance. All these "Test" I have done on the same day all within about an hour of each other. Taking the same route and driving habits. I'm giving my opinion and saving the money. Of course what ever who ever does what it's their truck/money/experience. If your butt "felt" performance than go for it. My butt felt lost performance and the truck run better with stock.
Again. Your "butt" isn't a Dyno, and a couple runs around the block isn't a real test. A drop in K&N isn't a better flowing (or particularly quality) intake system. The changes you make need time to be processed in the fuel trims. Your ECM/PCM need to be able to make the adjustments for any change. I'm not implying that anyone should go buy anything. I'm simply saying that an intake isn't, in my useless internet opinion, a waste of money. It's a jump off point for any future modifications that can improve the performance and longevity of any motor.

**Edited for fat fingers on phone.**

03SlowZ06

Reaction score
Listen. I don't work for any sponsors or vendors on here and I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. I have some experience with racing, building and tuning, mostly Corvettes and diesel engines, but I will never claim to be an expert. I'm here to learn from everyone about my new truck and give my personal opinion occasionally. I don't want to debate this forever either.

Kob0583

Reaction score
CAI I feel offer improvements but do they provide return on investment depends on your expectations and what else you intent to do to the truck I.e. tuning. If CAI did nothing the truck wouldn’t come with one. The improvements over stock come down to increased flow and better filtering, stocks are made for a mix of economy, CARB requirements and quiet operation. Again what you get might not be worth it to you but if you add one you need to flash the ECU or give it time to self calibrate a new fuel map, or get it tuned. ROI again will always be debatable due to owner preferences but if a CAI did nothing I doubt the truck would come with it stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scjon03

Reaction score
Listen. I don't work for any sponsors or vendors on here and I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. I have some experience with racing, building and tuning, mostly Corvettes and diesel engines, but I will never claim to be an expert. I'm here to learn from everyone about my new truck and give my personal opinion occasionally. I don't want to debate this forever either.

ok to be fair I guess maybe it could be the engine you put the CAI on. When I had a 2017 Jeep SRT I immediately put a CAI in it and it ran 0-60 in 4 sec. couldn’t be happier. But I have no idea what it would have done with the stock. After that I sold the SRT for the Ram. So now I’ll never know.

cadillacrules

Reaction score
^^^^ that’s correct. I should of clarified, thank you.
Know you do realize that the OEM air intake is a true CAI and most other systems change that from a CAI to a Hot Air Intake or HAI.
Useless power robbing waste of money. And because it sounds better you drive it harder and burn a heck of a lot more fuel. If that matters.

Bionicbo

Reaction score
Know you do realize that the OEM air intake is a true CAI and most other systems change that from a CAI to a Hot Air Intake or HAI.
Useless power robbing waste of money. And because it sounds better you drive it harder and burn a heck of a lot more fuel. If that matters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the enclosed aftermarket true CAI intake as well since they also use the OEM air inlet just a bigger diameter intake tube for high flow.

Users who are viewing this thread