5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intake

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Look great, but doubt you get much sound as it is a sealed design similar to the OEM air box.

Nah, they're definitely louder than stock and very noticeable. Had one on my previous truck and opted not to on this one because of how noticeable it was

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Come check it out. You seem to know so much. Geez!
I do know a lot, so thank you for noticing 😂 Typically, all "sealed" boxes keep the noise level down just like the OEM box which is sealed. If yours makes loud noise, then God Bless you!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
“CAI” stands for Cold Air Intake and the clue to their effect on a piston engine performance is really self-evident in the nomenclature. These systems were designed to capture denser air with the assumption that each cylinder would produce a higher charge pressure and hence, more power.

A reciprocating piston engine does not draw air into the cylinders like a hydraulic pump. As the piston moves downward in the stroke it is atmospheric pressure that displaces the void (space) now present in the cylinder. The movement of air into the cylinder is impacted by whatever restrictions are present in the engine’s induction system. Pre-induction control (ie: throttlebody) factory systems are always a compromise between air flow, filtering, and noise. So the factory systems, in most cases, represent some form of restriction.

How much restriction is in any given system is dependent on design and performance requirements. Most factory systems nowadays offer no restriction at low to medium air flows, so reducing restriction with a CAI will provide no benefit. Why? Because regardless of how much restriction is removed, the fuel system is still measuring air flow and providing a signal to a PCM that determines the correct fuel rate for that air flow based on a predetermine fuel map in the computers algorithm.

So that means that a CAI will show its true benefit at higher RPMs. Right? Not necessarily. Assuming we remove ALL pre-induction control restriction, there’s still restriction in the post throttlebody induction system, like cylinder heads and intake runners (not to mention the effects of a restrictive exhaust). The effectiveness of a CAI system is really dependent on how much restriction was present in the factory system to begin with and if the factory fuel mapping can provide the correct A/F ratio at any given flow. So, the effects across all engine manufacturers will likely not be the same. In addition, the effects of CAI systems that take in air from under the hood are self-cancelling. In order to actually get cooler air (if it’s available!) it must be from the ambient environment (outside).

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052852 miles.

Last edited:

corn

Reaction score
“CAI” stands for Cold Air Intake and the clue to their effect on a piston engine performance is really self-evident in the nomenclature. These systems were designed to capture denser air with the assumption that each cylinder would produce a higher charge pressure and hence, more power.

A reciprocating piston engine does not draw air into the cylinders like a hydraulic pump. As the piston moves downward in the stroke it is atmospheric pressure that displaces the void (space) now present in the cylinder. The movement of air into the cylinder is impacted by whatever restrictions are present in the engine’s induction system. Pre-induction control (ie: throttlebody) factory systems are always a compromise between air flow, filtering, and noise. So the factory systems, in most cases, represent some form of restriction.

How much restriction is in any given system is dependent on design and performance requirements. Most factory systems nowadays offer no restriction at low to medium air flows, so reducing restriction with a CAI will provide no benefit. Why? Because regardless of how much restriction is removed, the fuel system is still measuring air flow and providing a signal to a PCM that determines the correct fuel rate for that air flow based on a predetermine fuel map in the computers algorithm.

So that means that a CAI will show its true benefit at higher RPMs. Right? Not necessarily. Assuming we remove ALL pre-induction control restriction, there’s still restriction in the post throttlebody induction system, like cylinder heads and intake runners (not to mention the effects of a restrictive exhaust). The effectiveness of a CAI system is really dependent on how much restriction was present in the factory system to begin with and if the factory fuel mapping can provide the correct A/F ratio at any given flow. So, the effects across all engine manufacturers will likely not be the same. In addition, the effects of CAI systems that take in air from under the hood are self-cancelling. In order to actually get cooler air (if it’s available!) it must be from the ambient environment (outside).

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052852 miles.
Cool, I'm much smarter now on the workings of a CAI. Mine is still louder than the stock induction system and that's what I was looking for.

corn

Reaction score
I do know a lot, so thank you for noticing 😂 Typically, all "sealed" boxes keep the noise level down just like the OEM box which is sealed. If yours makes loud noise, then God Bless you!
Thank You! I feel better now on all the knowledge you have presented. I was starting to question the effectiveness of my S&B Cold Air Intake. You're awesome!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank You! I feel better now on all the knowledge you have presented. I was starting to question the effectiveness of my S&B Cold Air Intake. You're awesome!
Not really. Just knowledgeable. Fuel & Induction was my certification at General Motors.

Best regards,
Dusty

corn

Reaction score
Ok, I didn't say anything about performance in my initial post. I said it just sounded good. That's it. Let us "Newbies" be happy with what we have added to our truck without replying with some B.S. about it. Respect goes both ways.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok, I didn't say anything about performance in my initial post. I said it just sounded good. That's it. Let us "Newbies" be happy with what we have added to our truck without replying with some B.S. about it. Respect goes both ways.
Enjoy your truck…no BS about it!

Users who are viewing this thread