5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intake

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Know you do realize that the OEM air intake is a true CAI and most other systems change that from a CAI to a Hot Air Intake or HAI.
Useless power robbing waste of money. And because it sounds better you drive it harder and burn a heck of a lot more fuel. If that matters.
Very much so. Believe you misunderstood my comment or grabbed the wrong on to quote

03SlowZ06

Reaction score
Know you do realize that the OEM air intake is a true CAI and most other systems change that from a CAI to a Hot Air Intake or HAI.
Useless power robbing waste of money. And because it sounds better you drive it harder and burn a heck of a lot more fuel. If that matters.
Again. This is not factual information. This is your opinion. Most aftermarket intakes are also cold air intakes that just allow more air to pass while maintaining filtration standards. HAI is a silly thought. Again. Under hood temps cause heat soak on older metal tubed intakes. With all the new composite material it's not as great of an issue. Factory intakes have to noise and emissions standards which is less efficient.

Hez

Reaction score
I don't understand the posts about "not needing anymore air" and "it's a waste of money" or "it felt sluggish". Is this a genuine popular opinion on here? Every engine, turbine or vacuum of any sort can benefit from more and cleaner air. Performance to longevity both hinge around the quality and quantity of air ingested. An intake change is very likely not causing your sluggish performance. There is a ton of research into air velocity and your throttle body would be the greatest restrictions with a good free flowing system. The stock system is designed to meet the budget friendly minimum not the maximum flow of air.

I'm going to hope that this is either satire or just a few unsatisfied customers.

My comment was based on experience in my last (older) dodge. With the design of the RAM air, which was stock - I saw no improvements (compared to when I installed it on my GMC). After I saw no improvements, I did more research and found that the consensus was the stock air system on the Dodge Ram 1500 were actually superior to the CAI.

I figured that the technology only got better as time progressed...but who knows...I could be wrong.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I figured that the technology only got better as time progressed...but who knows...I could be wrong.
There is no real "technology" involved here. It's an inlet for air and a CAI is a CAI and have been since the late 90's.

Hez

Reaction score
There is no real "technology" involved here. It's an inlet for air and a CAI is a CAI and have been since the late 90's.

Pardon me...maybe the better term would be 'design' instead of 'technology'...regardless....the RAM Air box design was good enough that you didn't see any performance increases when installing the CAI...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pardon me...maybe the better term would be 'design' instead of 'technology'...regardless....the RAM Air box design was good enough that you didn't see any performance increases when installing the CAI...
Shoot...my ‘03 Sierra and ‘01 Silverado were the same way, even with supporting mods. Volant made popular intakes for them, and they were shown to add horsepower way at the top end, but at the expense of torque throughout other parts of the powerband. The factory intake was superior for real-world conditions.

The same was true for the factory exhaust manifolds, which flowed as well as shorty headers. I’d be curious to know if that’s true on our trucks.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Shoot...my ‘03 Sierra and ‘01 Silverado were the same way, even with supporting mods. Volant made popular intakes for them, and they were shown to add horsepower way at the top end, but at the expense of torque throughout other parts of the powerband. The factory intake was superior for real-world conditions.

The same was true for the factory exhaust manifolds, which flowed as well as shorty headers. I’d be curious to know if that’s true on our trucks.
I, too, had a Volant with the big box on my 2002 Sierra Denali that had the clear cover very much like the S&B. Looked AWESOME...did absolutely nothing!

03SlowZ06

Reaction score

TxRam1211

Reaction score
lol this is the same 5.7L mds engine maybe a 2018... bone stock 1st pull .. then cai installed the point is you all can argue all day long or drop opinions BUT when the facts HIT the DYNO.. what more proof do you need? And this is with a bs K&N . Over 21 hp in gains to the TIRE with a intake alone .

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
lol this is the same 5.7L mds engine maybe a 2018... bone stock 1st pull .. then cai installed the point is you all can argue all day long or drop opinions BUT when the facts HIT the DYNO.. what more proof do you need? And this is with a bs K&N . Over 21 hp in gains to the TIRE with a intake alone .

A, No way do I believe a 21 whp gain from an CAI, that would be about 25-27 fwhp gain (unless the stock filter was full of dirt)
B, Dyno numbers can be manipulated
C, They made the pull in 3rd gear which isn't 1:1 . The pull should have been done in 6th or in whatever gear was 1:1 and not being mechanically multiplied

CAI's typically do flow far more air vs a stock intake, the real gains only present if the engine actually needs more air and unless you've done heads or a cam or both, it doesn't.
Also, the gains are typically "peak" numbers only or at the end of the RPM where they are of no real benefit. Example, say at 6000 rpm and the factory air box starts to suffer and costs 10hp vs an aftermarket CAI that flows well and at the same 6000 rpm the engine doesn't lose power but at 6300 starts to nose over. The "gains" are measured there vs throughout the RPM range where the differences would be maybe 1-2 hp which could be a variance between pulls.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
A, No way do I believe a 21 whp gain from an CAI, that would be about 25-27 fwhp gain (unless the stock filter was full of dirt)
B, Dyno numbers can be manipulated
C, They made the pull in 3rd gear which isn't 1:1 . The pull should have been done in 6th or in whatever gear was 1:1 and not being mechanically multiplied

CAI's typically do flow far more air vs a stock intake, the real gains only present if the engine actually needs more air and unless you've done heads or a cam or both, it doesn't.
Also, the gains are typically "peak" numbers only or at the end of the RPM where they are of no real benefit. Example, say at 6000 rpm and the factory air box starts to suffer and costs 10hp vs an aftermarket CAI that flows well and at the same 6000 rpm the engine doesn't lose power but at 6300 starts to nose over. The "gains" are measured there vs throughout the RPM range where the differences would be maybe 1-2 hp which could be a variance between pulls.
THIS^^^ Spot on @BowDown...my thoughts exactly. I call bull$hit

TxRam1211

Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just providing videos on different dynos not just talking about it . Heres another with a 5th gen though different dyno/ different truck , different filter likely different location all play a role .

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just providing videos on different dynos . Heres another with a 5th gen though different dyno/ different truck , different filter .https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2hkzoobQhY0&t=530s

I'm not trust me, I've been throwing money away on my car hobby for 20 years and know aftermarket BS when I hear it.
I have a fully built 620 rwhp N/A Z06.
Built ERL 434" engine, GPI heads, built trans and diff. I've done all this stuff and I know the dyno games people play, what works and what doesn't.
This car has made a 4 rwhp difference just with the trans and diff fluid hot and no other changes; a 20 rwhp difference with drag radials on.

The second video, the guy only made 267 rwhp so again, dyno trickery and improper setup

20180609_170822.jpg

country4life

Reaction score
Why replace a good factory set up, with a sound box. That really does nothing but make noise.
Hi I’m looking to keep my factory set up but it’s time to replace my filter what would you recommend for the best filter k&n or stock or?

Bambohunter

Reaction score
Might be a waste of money but I like the way it looks and sounds.
0ed5719444ce38ad97a7b25c75ffd3ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you’re not modding heavily, you won’t see much gain at all with a CAI aftermarket setup. The benefits come from removing a restriction that is hindering your mods/tune. A drop in will be just as beneficial on a stock engine with stock tune. even with exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread