5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coin holder - useful or stupid?

cipherbreak

Reaction score
Hows that wireless charger working....Fast.??? Is it worth installing? My Bighorn didn't come with one

My phone is in a flip case and it doesn’t fit in the wireless charger holder without taking it off the case—plus, I plug the phone in for CarPlay—so almost never use it.

If RAM were to add wireless CarPlay, I’d change my phone case.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My phone is in a flip case and it doesn’t fit in the wireless charger holder without taking it off the case—plus, I plug the phone in for CarPlay—so almost never use it.

If RAM were to add wireless CarPlay, I’d change my phone case.
It works fine (reasonably fast) on mine. The thing is...if I’m in the truck long enough to use it, I’m usually plugged in to use CarPlay, so it’s not needed (and it charges surprisingly fast while running CarPlay). My wife has personal and work iPhones that support wireless charging, so she can take advantage of it when she’s riding along.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Title says it all - Does anyone actually use this thing?

<Rant>
Why is there a spot for half-dollars? I would bet that I haven't seen a half dollar in circulation in 10+ years. And why are the coins slots ordered by size instead of value? Dimes after pennies really?
</Rant>
Absolutely useless. It’s 2019 and EZ Pass exists. Most if not all parking meters take a credit card now too.

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hows that wireless charger working....Fast.??? Is it worth installing? My Bighorn didn't come with one

Yes .. since I don't drive the truck too far (new job is much closer), I don't get FULL use out of it. However, I was able to top mine off and start my friend's iPhone by the time I got home (roughly 30 mins). It is nice to plop it in there even if the phone doesn't need charged to hold the phone in place. All these guys getting aftermarket holders when the truck already has the rubber holder installed (at least all the ones I've seen do - not all have the wireless charges).

Once you locate the "sweet spot", then you get used to placing your cell in the same spot each time you jump in.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I always like to have a few bucks in change. I DO NOT like that its openly visible. I dont need additional reason to tempt a thief.

bdcramer1

Reaction score
How are some of you turning it around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quiet

Reaction score
I use it, though my wife tends to raid it so she wrap change.

It's not too bad. A bit slow if you're streaming over bluetooth, and pointless if you're connecting your phone via USB as that will always be faster. It's a feature I use because it's there, but if it wasn't, I very seriously doubt I'd spend any money to get it added.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I haven’t seen a coin in years... Use Apple Pay & plastic 99.9%. If I happen to use cash, I let my kids have the change. ;)

_StangPGH

Reaction score
I probably use it more than the CD player that came with my truck.
Ha, agreed! I wedge my sunglass case in that space in front of the CD player. Perfect fit! They should have deleted the CD player and sprung for wheel liners as stock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ha, agreed! I wedge my sunglass case in that space in front of the CD player. Perfect fit! They should have deleted the CD player and sprung for wheel liners as stock.

I know, money well spent somewhere else, I don't think I've held a CD in a few years and I'm 45 years old!

RAMpage

Reaction score

They must have a half million old CD players sitting around unsold and figured they sneak them into the new RAMs. They could have at least hid them inside the glovebox like most other manufacturers are doing that still include a CD/DVD player. Wheel liners or even wireless charging as a standard option on all trucks would have been better!

BlckDT

Reaction score
I do find the coin holder being used more often than I thought. Mainly for the morning coffee going into work. I did turn it around to hide it more and to utilize the actual storage section easier. As for the CD Player...not so much.

tdager

Reaction score
They must have a half million old CD players sitting around unsold and figured they sneak them into the new RAMs. They could have at least hid them inside the glovebox like most other manufacturers are doing that still include a CD/DVD player. Wheel liners or even wireless charging as a standard option on all trucks would have been better!

My understanding is that it was actually a request/demand through focus groups and feedback to add back a CD player. I can say that I enjoy mine, even have a CD case full of CD's in my center console.

RAMpage

Reaction score
My understanding is that it was actually a request/demand through focus groups and feedback to add back a CD player. I can say that I enjoy mine, even have a CD case full of CD's in my center console.

Maybe they should have made it an option instead - and make something else around the same price (wireless charging) standard instead since more people would use that.

Users who are viewing this thread