5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk over bumps

Douglas31

Reaction score
This sounds identical to the clunk I get from the front, passenger side. I have the air suspension on mine and if I leave it in normal mode, I can get it to clunk on potholes or going over speed bumps a tiny bit faster than usual. If I put the truck in aero mode, it won't clunk on those same bumps. Haven't tried off road mode yet but I could only assume it will clunk way more than in normal mode.
Dealer looked at mine and I even demonstrated it for the service manager but he just said he thinks it's normal. :poop:
Mine with air suspension does the same thing. It definitely seems to be from the front passenger side.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had something similar, but it went away completely on its own. I'm baffled how it could go away, but it did and my dealer couldn't find anything when they changed my oil.

burntomaro

Reaction score
Any chance of this causing damage if left alone. I added some new running boards right after I got my 2020 Lonestar and have heard a clinking sound here recently and I thought it was those. Haven’t had a chance to get under there and check yet.

jabara572

Reaction score
Any chance of this causing damage if left alone. I added some new running boards right after I got my 2020 Lonestar and have heard a clinking sound here recently and I thought it was those. Haven’t had a chance to get under there and check yet.

I guess theoretically it could wallow out the holes on the lower A-arm, but thats only if the end link is loose at the bolt. If the end links are blown internally at the joints then no...it would just wear the replaceable end link and nothing else. So just tighten them up at the bolts, if it still clunks your links are shot but it wont hurt anything else on the truck to leave it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had something similar, but it went away completely on its own. I'm baffled how it could go away, but it did and my dealer couldn't find anything when they changed my oil.

Hello jdmartin,
We're happy to hear that your concern seems to have resolved itself! Should this return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Laura
RamCares

Pmalitsch

Reaction score
Hi, I am definitely having this issue also. Moderate rolling bumps i get a clunk that sounds like its coming from the rear cab or bed area. it sounds like a 2x4 bumping in the bed but i can feel it in the frame/pedal when it happens also so its not superficial. Dealer "could not reproduce" when i first took it in so i have to take it back and i'm trying to get a list together or as much information as possible to help them diagnose this. Does anyone have any new information? Thanks.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Hi, I am definitely having this issue also. Moderate rolling bumps i get a clunk that sounds like its coming from the rear cab or bed area. it sounds like a 2x4 bumping in the bed but i can feel it in the frame/pedal when it happens also so its not superficial. Dealer "could not reproduce" when i first took it in so i have to take it back and i'm trying to get a list together or as much information as possible to help them diagnose this. Does anyone have any new information? Thanks.
I checked many things (tailgate, body bolts, bed bolts, spare tire, sway bar links, shocks, panhard bar) and never really solved it myself. I'm 99% sure its the rear cab vents flapping, almost like a "pop", I only really notice it with the window down. Another thought is it's the nature of the beast, these trucks have a floating rear C clip axle allowing some axle play side to side.

Edit: If you feel it in your feet, you should check the front sway bar links

RamCares

Reaction score
I apologize for the trouble, @Pmalitsch. Please know that our team is a private message away and we are more than willing to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Mark
RamCares

Tonka2020

Reaction score
Here are a few snaps from each side of the front. I can’t really see the difference between the newer, good links and what was there though. However, I have no more clunking sound.

7585eea9e6df565feaad713e8c50e642.plist
d0c87a9c1ddb610d48cad6619d428b0e.plist

Tonka2020

Reaction score
I have the Exact same issue. After a 2.5 inch leveling kit and new wheels and tires installed. Took it back had sway bars and everything tightened up. Drove home. And next day its making the clunking sound again. I may take to dealer to have them take a look at these specifically. Thanks for the post

SSW

Reaction score
Just a thought. .... I thought I had a clunk and it turned out to be my ***** I left in my receiver .... with no load there was play obviously so going over bumps was causing a clunk sound . Took the hitch out and it’s gone..... I know it seems super easy but worth a thought if you leave a hitch in your receiver .
Thats exactly what I discovered, I had the clunk sound going over a speed bump also. I removed my heavy adjustable hitch when not actually needing it and wow the clunk went away. When actually towing one of my trailers, no clunk , because of the weight of the trailer on the hitch.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Been there done that. I ended up strapping a GoPro under the front and it was very obvious the sway bar end link where it met the sway bar driver side was the issue. Highly recommend using a camera. Sometimes it takes seeing to believe.

PHFT

Reaction score
Found my clunk, it was the sway bar upper end link on the passenger side, it was so loose I could tighten it with my finger tried to post a video but I can't for some reason....does anyone on here know the torque specs for this? Thanks in advance.

CaptainJC

Reaction score
My 2021 Limited (with air suspension) had this issue as well, I only have about 6k miles on the truck and started noticing the random clunk as the truck hits bumps or bounces down parts of the road.

I found it was the upper passenger side sway bar link (you could see where the factory assembly paint marker wasn't lined up). In my case, it was loose enough that you could free spin the washer on that one, a quick 1/4-1/2 turn to tighten it up and no more clunking! I checked them all, but it was only the upper passenger side on mine as well...

Thanks to all that shared this one, it helped me fast track the troubleshooting on mine.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Whats the torque setting for the two nuts that hold the link to the bar and the arm?

U

User_104008

Did you ever find the cause of your noise?
Your explanation of the noise is exactly what I am dealing with... it's driving me crazy..

RamCares

Reaction score
Did you ever find the cause of your noise?
Your explanation of the noise is exactly what I am dealing with... it's driving me crazy..
Hi JTS1285,

We are sorry to hear you are facing this vehicle concern. Have you made an appointment with your local Ram dealer yet for diagnosis? If not, we recommend doing so. Once you do have an appointment in place, please feel free to send us a private message if you'd like additional support.

Lex
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread