5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk over bumps

jabara572

Reaction score
Searched and this is definitely not the clunk while turning issue.

Truck makes a soft clunk that is audible and able to be felt through the body of the truck going over slow speed bumps or rough roads.

I checked all sway bar bolts and they are tight as can be, it really doesn't seem to be suspension to me, more of a body issue.

Definitely somewhere underneath the truck. I tightened all frame to cab bolts and they were also tight. Has anyone had to have their can mounts tightened? It's not a super loud clunk but it does drive me crazy, it's almost more of a rattle but everything appears to be tight. Any issues of motor mounts or body mounts going bad? 19 rebel with 14k on it

renzo2213

Reaction score
Searched and this is definitely not the clunk while turning issue.

Truck makes a soft clunk that is audible and able to be felt through the body of the truck going over slow speed bumps or rough roads.

I checked all sway bar bolts and they are tight as can be, it really doesn't seem to be suspension to me, more of a body issue.

Definitely somewhere underneath the truck. I tightened all frame to cab bolts and they were also tight. Has anyone had to have their can mounts tightened? It's not a super loud clunk but it does drive me crazy, it's almost more of a rattle but everything appears to be tight. Any issues of motor mounts or body mounts going bad? 19 rebel with 14k on it

I’ve got the same noise. It feels like the wheel goes down too far on a bump and it extends the shocks to the limit even though it’s not a big whole at all. It feels like the suspension doesn’t have a lot of give. I hear it coming from the two front wheels. Almost like a bad strut sound like thing. Curious to see if anyone has had this issue and has had it resolved

19 larimie 6k on the dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabara572

Reaction score
I’ve got the same noise. It feels like the wheel goes down too far on a bump and it extends the shocks to the limit even though it’s not a big whole at all. It feels like the suspension doesn’t have a lot of give. I hear it coming from the two front wheels. Almost like a bad strut sound like thing. Curious to see if anyone has had this issue and has had it resolved

19 larimie 6k on the dash

Mine is mostly passenger side for sure but can't tell if it's coming from the front or middle or bed. I've checked every bolt I can get to under there and all seem tight,.it's driving me crazy. Even my dad who was outside the truck as I drove off asked me what that clunk was

I used to be able to get it to clunk sawing the wheel back and forth driving down the road which made.me think sway bars like everyone else but I could not manage to budge any of the swaybar or link bolts they are tight as can be

renzo2213

Reaction score
Mine is mostly passenger side for sure but can't tell if it's coming from the front or middle or bed. I've checked every bolt I can get to under there and all seem tight,.it's driving me crazy. Even my dad who was outside the truck as I drove off asked me what that clunk was

It could be the mounts to some thing. I highly doubt a dealer would fix it. FCA is a bunch of lazy people. I’ve had a rattle on my speaker since the day I bought it. I told them it’s not blown, just sounds like something is loose in there. They run all sorts of sound tests and say the speaker is okay. like, I just want them to open it up to take whatever it is out or tighten whatever bolt needs to be tightened. But no, speaker test shows it’s good. I love the truck, but my God, dealing with the dealership is a pain.

I think whoever gets this fixed will be someone who has their own shop and knows what they’re doing, unfortunately

jabara572

Reaction score
It could be the mounts to some thing. I highly doubt a dealer would fix it. FCA is a bunch of lazy people. I’ve had a rattle on my speaker since the day I bought it. I told them it’s not blown, just sounds like something is loose in there. They run all sorts of sound tests and say the speaker is okay. like, I just want them to open it up to take whatever it is out or tighten whatever bolt needs to be tightened. But no, speaker test shows it’s good. I love the truck, but my God, dealing with the dealership is a pain.

I think whoever gets this fixed will be someone who has their own shop and knows what they’re doing, unfortunately

That's exactly why I haven't taken it in yet. I know it will be a battle even getting them to hear anything let alone getting them to fix it. Been trying to find this damn clunk for 2 months and I have no idea so I rate their chances as slim at best

Zeeya

Reaction score
Last oil change I took service manager for a ride over the rattle/clunk/ drives me ape s—— sound. They tightened the spare. Still have the rattle/clunk.

Reaction score
Just a thought. .... I thought I had a clunk and it turned out to be my ***** I left in my receiver .... with no load there was play obviously so going over bumps was causing a clunk sound . Took the hitch out and it’s gone..... I know it seems super easy but worth a thought if you leave a hitch in your receiver .

jabara572

Reaction score
i thought for sure that was mine too, wrapped the hitch in duct tape to take out the play and even drove with it removed but no dice.

jabara572

Reaction score
Last oil change I took service manager for a ride over the rattle/clunk/ drives me ape s—— sound. They tightened the spare. Still have the rattle/clunk.

*%&$&$*# its driving me bananas. I will try tightening the spare though thanks for the tip.

ErikNJ

Reaction score
For whatever it’s worth, my June 2019 build Laramie needed new swaybar links for a clunking sound. They old ones were tight but defective. It was most noticeable at lower speeds on washboard pavement.

popcenator

Reaction score
For whatever it’s worth, my June 2019 build Laramie needed new swaybar links for a clunking sound. They old ones were tight but defective. It was most noticeable at lower speeds on washboard pavement.
Do you mind posting pictures of your end links? I don't think mine look right and I get clunking when going over bumps occasionally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ErikNJ

Reaction score
Do you mind posting pictures of your end links? I don't think mine look right and I get clunking when going over bumps occasionally.

Sure thing. I’ll snap some when I get some daylight and better than the current weather.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Thanks for info. Will bring it up next week

Zeeya

Reaction score
Sure thing. I’ll snap some when I get some daylight and better than the current weather.
Thanks. I took pictures of mine and posted. It looks like the rubber boot is coming off.
it’s under post “looking for noise in front end and found this”
I have pictures of my links on that post

Zeeya

Reaction score
Just a thought. .... I thought I had a clunk and it turned out to be my ***** I left in my receiver .... with no load there was play obviously so going over bumps was causing a clunk sound . Took the hitch out and it’s gone..... I know it seems super easy but worth a thought if you leave a hitch in your receiver .
Tried that. My son brought it and a light went off in my head, but it was not that

ErikNJ

Reaction score

Here are a few snaps from each side of the front. I can’t really see the difference between the newer, good links and what was there though. However, I have no more clunking sound.

7585eea9e6df565feaad713e8c50e642.plist
d0c87a9c1ddb610d48cad6619d428b0e.plist

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Tried that. My son brought it and a light went off in my head, but it was not that
My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee did the same thing. Haven't tried towing with the Ram yet. I've been able to use my bed for hauling.

popcenator

Reaction score
Pretty similar to mine, did they say what exactly was defective about it?
14f8b60f955aafa1d80fcd3434cfdc00.jpg
48d83aa87330d5bdb5c6b9266e910f3b.jpg

ErikNJ

Reaction score
They didn’t really say what was defective. They further tightened the old ones but that didn’t work on their road test. They had new links in stock and after replacing the old links, the clunk went away. If I had to guess, there may have been some issue with how the old ones fit - maybe there was some play in the fitting.

Also, I’ve driven a few thousand miles since the fix and all has been good since.

popcenator

Reaction score
Thanks for posting those pictures. I'll take a closer look at mine and see if maybe there is some play.

Users who are viewing this thread