5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk over bumps

jabara572

Reaction score
Thanks for posting those pictures. I'll take a closer look at mine and see if maybe there is some play.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mine is definitely the sway bar end links after getting under the truck and bouncing it up and down I can see and feel the end link clunking.

popcenator

Reaction score
Mine is definitely the sway bar end links after getting under the truck and bouncing it up and down I can see and feel the end link clunking.
Did you have someone bounce the truck while you laid underneath or did you move it from underneath?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll have to peak at mine as well. I had the same clunk that I could make it do it if I see-sawed the steering wheel back and forth but all of sudden last few weeks clunk is gone so who knows. I'm due an oil change and tire rotation so I will have them check those links when it's in. Definitely sounded like something in the suspension to me, like a sway bar mount or a loose strut.

jabara572

Reaction score
Going to the dealer thursday morning for the clunk, some random not so nice engine noise at idle, and a rough idle/slow speed crawl. Also going to ask about the truck being so damn darty on the highway.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Going to the dealer thursday morning for the clunk, some random not so nice engine noise at idle, and a rough idle/slow speed crawl. Also going to ask about the truck being so damn darty on the highway.

Hi jabara572,

Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If we can be of any additional assistance while your truck is in service, our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

RAMpage

Reaction score
This sounds identical to the clunk I get from the front, passenger side. I have the air suspension on mine and if I leave it in normal mode, I can get it to clunk on potholes or going over speed bumps a tiny bit faster than usual. If I put the truck in aero mode, it won't clunk on those same bumps. Haven't tried off road mode yet but I could only assume it will clunk way more than in normal mode.
Dealer looked at mine and I even demonstrated it for the service manager but he just said he thinks it's normal. :poop:

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Just returned from service appointment. Same clunk/noise over light bumps. Both swaybar end links need replacement and are on national backorder.

jabara572

Reaction score
Just returned from service appointment. Same clunk/noise over light bumps. Both swaybar end links need replacement and are on national backorder.

Great...I just dropped mine off this morning, said they couldnt even get it into the shop for 4 days and if parts are on national backorder...

Well, i could really care less because they gave me a 1000% bells and whistles fully loaded $65,000 Ram limited to drive so as far as im concerned they can keep my truck for a year!!!!! haha

RamCares

Reaction score
This sounds identical to the clunk I get from the front, passenger side. I have the air suspension on mine and if I leave it in normal mode, I can get it to clunk on potholes or going over speed bumps a tiny bit faster than usual. If I put the truck in aero mode, it won't clunk on those same bumps. Haven't tried off road mode yet but I could only assume it will clunk way more than in normal mode.
Dealer looked at mine and I even demonstrated it for the service manager but he just said he thinks it's normal. :poop:

Hi RAMpage,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. If you continue to work with your dealer to address this, we suggest contacting Canadian Customer Care to have this documented. You may find their contact information by clicking on the following link and scrolling down to the "Canada" tab: https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/footer/Pages/contacts.aspx.

Mark
RamCares

jabara572

Reaction score
Wow the dealer just called with their diagnostic and said yes it does need new end links. Then they told me the earliest they can get parts is FEBRUARY!!!!

They put me in a Ram limited fully loaded which I would be oh so happy to drive till February but sounds like they want me to give that back and drive my clunk mobile till then. Not sure I'm happy about that and don't know what I should do.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Rode by dealer again today. Service manager rode with me and he swears that it sounds like it is coming from the rear. :( , but that is strange, because when I go over a cattle guard you can hear the clunk and when the rear tires go over the cattle guard you do not hear the clunk or rattle. Bringing it in Thursday and will get a loaner. He said they are going to put the (I call it a stethoscope for autos) he called it something else, but he said they place them on the frame and can hear it and keep moving them around as it gets louder or quieter to locate noise. We will see how this goes. I told him about the end links and he did not bite on it.

jabara572

Reaction score
Rode by dealer again today. Service manager rode with me and he swears that it sounds like it is coming from the rear. :( , but that is strange, because when I go over a cattle guard you can hear the clunk and when the rear tires go over the cattle guard you do not hear the clunk or rattle. Bringing it in Thursday and will get a loaner. He said they are going to put the (I call it a stethoscope for autos) he called it something else, but he said they place them on the frame and can hear it and keep moving them around as it gets louder or quieter to locate noise. We will see how this goes. I told him about the end links and he did not bite on it.

Get under it and have someone bounce it up and down. Mine was clear as day the end links popping.

jabara572

Reaction score
Just got mine back from the dealer. Clunk/rattle over rough roads is completely gone. I was 100% right blown end links. Dealership replaced both left and right front swaybar links under warranty

Part # 68399868AC both sides. Even turns and drives nicer than it was with the worn out sway bar links. Hope this helps someone out.

badassbaldie

Reaction score
So...I’ve been experiencing the same clunk while turning out of my driveway (going over the curb). I first thought my running board bolts were loose, which were checked and secure.

I was looking thru this and the TSB thread about the same thing so I’m sure this is likely my problem as well (2019 Rebel w/3500 miles).

Anyways, like most of you here, I DREAD taking my truck to the Stealership because of the inconvenience. I just looked up the OE replacement and they are $13/each. For $26 plus shipping, I’d gladly replace them myself and avoid the dealership hassle. Not to mention have some knucklehead working on my truck.

FWIW, sway bar end links are super easy to replace...even those with no mechanical experience. This DOES NOT require an alignment either.

Just my .02.

Mopar part #68399868AC

jabara572

Reaction score
Yes I looked that up also, for $25 inwoiodve just fixed myself and not dealt with the 5 day repair timeline... But I did get a loaner.

If you have that few miles then Hopefully yours are just loose at the bolts. With 15k mine were blown internally at the ball joints.

badassbaldie

Reaction score
Yes I looked that up also, for $25 inwoiodve just fixed myself and not dealt with the 5 day repair timeline... But I did get a loaner.

If you have that few miles then Hopefully yours are just loose at the bolts. With 15k mine were blown internally at the ball joints.

Copy that...I’m hoping you’re right in that mine might just need tightening. If not, I’ll just replace them when I put my leveling kit on.

It’s good to know replacing the end links have resolved most people’s issues (I.e cheap fix). Your input and confirmation of the problem being resolved really helps.

Reading the TSB fix article whereas the dealership replaced someone’s entire steering rack makes me nauseous.

RamCares

Reaction score
Just got mine back from the dealer. Clunk/rattle over rough roads is completely gone. I was 100% right blown end links. Dealership replaced both left and right front swaybar links under warranty

Part # 68399868AC both sides. Even turns and drives nicer than it was with the worn out sway bar links. Hope this helps someone out.

Thank you for following up to share this update, jabara572! Very glad to hear that your dealer was able to remedy this concern for you. Should you experience any additional questions or concerns down the road, we are always just a PM away and happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

rubiRI77

Reaction score
Once again, so happy I joined this forum. thanks so much for info on the end links! Hopefully that fixes it, Ihave the same clunky front as described above. And for that money I will absolutely do this myself instead of dealing with the goofs at the dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread