5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk no-more

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Thanks, been busy too. I experimented with changing the sides and orientation of the sway bar bushing brackets and found one that significantly cut back on but hasn’t totally eliminated the noise/rattle/clunk with Moog bushings.

The first time I changed these out my 4 year old was “helping” and grabbed the brackets so I didn’t get to keep the original configuration. The only thing I noticed was that it was better with the bracket that has more numbers on the passenger side; oriented so you can read them if you’re under the vehicle with your head pointed towards the drivers side. The drivers side was the same orientation but with fewer numbers stamped. I have no clue if that’s consistent from one pickup or trim level.

From my understanding, the opening to slip them over the bar should point towards the front of the truck. As for the brackets, I'm not sure. But I believe I read somewhere on line that the front and rear bolts actually have different torque specs? I could be wrong.

What I will say is the universal brackets seem like there is no difference from one side to the other. I think it might be overcomplicating things. The one thing I do know, is there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what size the bar is and what size bushings to get.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone fixed this clunk? From reading this, it sounds like it quickly returns even after the bushings have been replaced.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone fixed this clunk? From reading this, it sounds like it quickly returns even after the bushings have been replaced.
There’s more than just the bushings that can clunk unfortunately so replacing them may or may not work for everyone.

I just replaced my sway bar bushings for the 4th time as I had a clunking noise in the footwell area once again. Seems I replaced them unnecessarily tho as the clunk did not go away. I am leaning towards it being a cv axle clunking as my ball joints, end links and bushings are all good.

If I am driving over washboarded roads at low speeds (10-15mph) I get a clunking noise in the footwell area, put truck into 4wd high and apply light throttle and the clunk goes away. This leads me to believe it’s the cv axle to stub shaft on the front differential making the noise, will book this one at the dealer as I am not paying for axles or a front differential out of pocket.

Had a cv axle replaced in my 2020 for this same reason.

Does anyone know if it is safe to remove a front cv axle completely and drive to test? I am worried that the wheel bearing needs the axle bolted through it for support on a 4wd truck.

Attaboy

Reaction score
From my understanding, the opening to slip them over the bar should point towards the front of the truck. As for the brackets, I'm not sure. But I believe I read somewhere on line that the front and rear bolts actually have different torque specs? I could be wrong.

What I will say is the universal brackets seem like there is no difference from one side to the other. I think it might be overcomplicating things. The one thing I do know, is there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what size the bar is and what size bushings to get.
I reinstalled the Moog bushings with the slot towards the front last week. That eliminated all feedback through the steering wheel but didn’t eliminate the clunk/rattle. I just put a new set in tonight and will give it a few days before confirming the clunk is gone.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s more than just the bushings that can clunk unfortunately so replacing them may or may not work for everyone.

I just replaced my sway bar bushings for the 4th time as I had a clunking noise in the footwell area once again. Seems I replaced them unnecessarily tho as the clunk did not go away. I am leaning towards it being a cv axle clunking as my ball joints, end links and bushings are all good.

If I am driving over washboarded roads at low speeds (10-15mph) I get a clunking noise in the footwell area, put truck into 4wd high and apply light throttle and the clunk goes away. This leads me to believe it’s the cv axle to stub shaft on the front differential making the noise, will book this one at the dealer as I am not paying for axles or a front differential out of pocket.

Had a cv axle replaced in my 2020 for this same reason.

Does anyone know if it is safe to remove a front cv axle completely and drive to test? I am worried that the wheel bearing needs the axle bolted through it for support on a 4wd truck.
Please keep us updated on this i have a front end clunk ive been chasing. installed end links , bushings torq'd all the bolts chcked ball joints and boots around them with no luck.

Last edited:

X6AWR

Reaction score
Hi, im in the UK so hopefully i'll get some help in here!
Im suffering from the 'clunk' noise too, replaced the swaybar bushes twice, once with Mevotech ones & now got the Moog ones in but the clunk has come back!
also replaced the end links with Mevotech supremes but no difference, have now removed the swaybar, quite as a mouse now....
I thought it could of been the CV stub axle but its the wrong kind of noise to be that? plus my clunks gone now ive removed the swaybar...might just leave it off till i sell it!
Do you suggest trying these susspension max end links??

X6AWR

Reaction score
I reinstalled the Moog bushings with the slot towards the front last week. That eliminated all feedback through the steering wheel but didn’t eliminate the clunk/rattle. I just put a new set in tonight and will give it a few days before confirming the clunk is gone.
hi so the slot HAS to go to the front when installing? i'll check which way mine were fitted...

Attaboy

Reaction score
hi so the slot HAS to go to the front when installing? i'll check which way mine were fitted...

I ran mine with the slot towards the rear and went through three sets of bushings (two from Energy Suspension ES and one Moog) within 5-6K miles fighting this clunk.

So far (15 miles) my pickup seems better with the slot forward on the second set of Moogs. Never tried the ES bushings with the slot forward so I don’t know if it would make a difference. I’m also running the Suspensionmaxxed leveled links and they help as well. These are two options of several that may cause a clunk.

X6AWR

Reaction score
I ran mine with the slot towards the rear and went through three sets of bushings (two from Energy Suspension ES and one Moog) within 5-6K miles fighting this clunk.

So far (15 miles) my pickup seems better with the slot forward on the second set of Moogs. Never tried the ES bushings with the slot forward so I don’t know if it would make a difference. I’m also running the Suspensionmaxxed leveled links and they help as well. These are two options of several that may cause a clunk.
ok so we had one bush facing forward & one facing backwards...cant see how that can cause the knock but we'll put them facing farward and try it...

also the end links you have are for levelled trucks? are they these?

SuspensionMAXX SMX-1319 - SuspensionMAXX Sway Bar End Links

Attaboy

Reaction score
I have the links for a level after installing set for a 2.2” lift 6112s. The leveled links are 2-2.5" Leveled Sway bar links 2019+ RAM 1500 (SMX-1319L) :: SuspensionMAXX

I also had/have the SMX 1319 (stock length) before the level. Suspensionmaxx makes quality products and stands by them with excellent customer support.

FYSA, Mine is a 2019 with 19mm bolts. Newer rams 2020-2021+ I think went to a 21 mm bolt so double-check before ordering.

X6AWR

Reaction score
OK i'll try those end links, just expensive getting stuff to the UK!

mines levelled with the Rough country/daystar combo so i could fit the 33" tyres!

Attaboy

Reaction score
Here’s what the Moogs look like (new) installed with the gap to the front; note the gap. The sway bar corrosion has worn through the paint and I’m almost wondering if I need to replace the sway bar. I’ll try a set of Energy Suspension bushings before that.

5584B592-F7AC-4DE4-80B4-6551442570A2.jpeg

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s what the Moogs look like (new) installed with the gap to the front; note the gap. The sway bar corrosion has worn through the paint and I’m almost wondering if I need to replace the sway bar. I’ll try a set of Energy Suspension bushings before that.

View attachment 179880
maybe before replacing the bar take a wire wheel or sander to it and givee it a fresh coat of paint?

Attaboy

Reaction score
Yeah. Probably just hit it with some emory cloth, rustoleum rust inhibitors/primer and a coat of paint.

X6AWR

Reaction score
I reinstalled my sway bar yesterday with the splits facing forward so will see what happens🤞
The bar also seems to be worn where one of the bushes seat so we wrapped a bit if reinforced tape round it then put bush on🤷‍♂️

brodieg

Reaction score
I had a bad (almost violent) clunk for a while, kept feeling like it was coming from the front cab area. Would only happen at the beginning of acceleration or coming to a stop.
I went crazy, had multiple mechanics (including dealership) look for it. No one was ever able to find it.
Well, one bored afternoon I found the exact cause... one of my rear control arm bolts only had about 30lbs of torque on it. Torqued all rear control arm bolts to spec and my clunk was gone and has never come back. Not all clunks are the same, but check those rear control arm bolts if that issue sounds similar to yours.

Attaboy

Reaction score
Installed a set of Energy Suspension sway bar bushings with the grease. No gaps between the outer edge of the bushings as seen with the Moogs. I wonder if lubricating the Moog’s would have make a difference or not. Saved a set just in case. I also found and ordered three tubes of the Energy Suspension grease on Amazon for future use.

I learned that these aren’t an instant fix and it may take a few days to settle in. These are quieter overall but still get the occasional clunk that sounds like a caliper in wet weather. I’ll check the rear control arm torque when I get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread