5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk no-more

Ready Go

Reaction score
I believe it’s only cosmetic. But I’m no biologist. 🤣
Maybe we should consult a "Cosmotologist" to decide if it's cosmetic or not..Frenchy might know🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304_152332.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_152332.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 10

Attaboy

Reaction score
I just installed Moog sway bar bushings and so far so good. I went through two of the energy suspension poly ones before and still had the rattling/clunk noise. These seemed to fit better when I installed them, so if replacing yours didn’t work with another brand try these. Time will tell if these hold up.

Attaboy

Reaction score
Correct. Mine is a 2019. I used Moog’s website to find their part # and searched that on Amazon.

Attaboy

Reaction score
@Attaboy will These will fit my 2020 Bighorn? Yours is a 2019, right?
View attachment 178448
It might be worth double-checking. If you have the same sway bar with 19mm sway bar links you should be GTG. Navigate to Moogs website and select “Find My Part”. Make sure to add your engine, drive (4x4 vs 4x2) and trim. It narrowed down the options quite a bit.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I just installed Moog sway bar bushings and so far so good. I went through two of the energy suspension poly ones before and still had the rattling/clunk noise. These seemed to fit better when I installed them, so if replacing yours didn’t work with another brand try these. Time will tell if these hold up.

Did you get the greaseable Energy Suspension universal ones? I was going to add those with the Suspension Maxx end links/bushings.

Attaboy

Reaction score
If you mean greasable as I’m having a zerk, I didn’t see those. The ones I had included grease for install.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
If you mean greasable as I’m having a zerk, I didn’t see those. The ones I had included grease for install.

I didn't realize, you were referring to the end links. I was referring to the frame shackle/bushings.

Attaboy

Reaction score
Yes after the Moog sway bar bushing install. I’m not aware of any greasable bushings or end links. I was referring to greasable sway bar bushings; the sway bar bushings I ordered from Energy Suspension came with grease for the install but do not have zerks or brackets that do.

Not to thread drift, but I’ve been fighting a front end end link issue for a few months even with two sets of stock length Suspensionmaxx links. I just ordered a set of their extended links for my 2.2” level via Bilstien 6112s installed last week. Hopefully that and re-torquing the front end components since I will help.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for peace of mind, and it may have been suggested, but check your top bolts on your strut.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Yes after the Moog sway bar bushing install. I’m not aware of any greasable bushings or end links. I was referring to greasable sway bar bushings; the sway bar bushings I ordered from Energy Suspension came with grease for the install but do not have zerks or brackets that do.

Not to thread drift, but I’ve been fighting a front end end link issue for a few months even with two sets of stock length Suspensionmaxx links. I just ordered a set of their extended links for my 2.2” level via Bilstien 6112s installed last week. Hopefully that and re-torquing the front end components since I will help.

The Energy Suspension ones have both zerk and non zerk shackles. I am going to buy the zerk shackles. Your clunk may also be due to the need for longer end links. I just did Bilstein 5100's on mine with a 2" lift setting. I am noting a little rough/banging ride in the front. I don't know if I would call it a clunk. I am probably in the same boat. I am doing mine, and probably the rears, if they are available. Truck has 67k on the odo so they are probably toast.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone changing front sway bar bushings or end links, you will need a 19mm deep socket for the end link to a-arm nut. 15mm socket for the bushing to frame bracket. 21mm wrench and 10mm wrench for the end link to sway bar nut.

On the 19-22 trucks substitute the 21mm wrench for a 19mm wrench as the end links are different.

Removing the entire sway bar from the truck takes less than 5 minutes with an impact gun and the 15mm and 19mm sockets. Bring the sway bar with end links attached inside, remove the end links from the sway bar and clean the bar off before removing and installing new bushings.

This time around I used a small amount of grease on the bushing to help it slide on easier, also warming them up will help a bit since they are solid with no slit in them. This is for oem bushings, others are split.

Attaboy

Reaction score
The Energy Suspension ones have both zerk and non zerk shackles. I am going to buy the zerk shackles. Your clunk may also be due to the need for longer end links. I just did Bilstein 5100's on mine with a 2" lift setting. I am noting a little rough/banging ride in the front. I don't know if I would call it a clunk. I am probably in the same boat. I am doing mine, and probably the rears, if they are available. Truck has 67k on the odo so they are probably toast.
Do you have a link for these? I just put the extended Suspensionmaxx end links on which made a noticeable difference in reducing the sway bar end link rattle over the stock length links.

Sounds like my brake calipers/pads are making an intermittent popping when stopping. Going to check those out tomorrow.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Do you have a link for these? I just put the extended Suspensionmaxx end links on which made a noticeable difference in reducing the sway bar end link rattle over the stock length links.

Sounds like my brake calipers/pads are making an intermittent popping when stopping. Going to check those out tomorrow.

Sorry, ended up really busy with work.

I am going to have to measure my sway bar with calipers and get back to you. I have a 2019 Ram Rebel and it seems that there might have been a change in sway bar size. Only way to know is probably to measure your sway bar diameter. Then I can get you the part number. You are supposed to either get the exact same size or round down .5mm at most.

So if yours is 36mm, you can get either a 36mm or 35.5mm bushing.

Attaboy

Reaction score
Sorry, ended up really busy with work.

I am going to have to measure my sway bar with calipers and get back to you. I have a 2019 Ram Rebel and it seems that there might have been a change in sway bar size. Only way to know is probably to measure your sway bar diameter. Then I can get you the part number. You are supposed to either get the exact same size or round down .5mm at most.

So if yours is 36mm, you can get either a 36mm or 35.5mm bushing.

Thanks, been busy too. I experimented with changing the sides and orientation of the sway bar bushing brackets and found one that significantly cut back on but hasn’t totally eliminated the noise/rattle/clunk with Moog bushings.

The first time I changed these out my 4 year old was “helping” and grabbed the brackets so I didn’t get to keep the original configuration. The only thing I noticed was that it was better with the bracket that has more numbers on the passenger side; oriented so you can read them if you’re under the vehicle with your head pointed towards the drivers side. The drivers side was the same orientation but with fewer numbers stamped. I have no clue if that’s consistent from one pickup or trim level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/