5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would not get a Retrax, selling mine for a 2019 Ram Laramie and getting a DiamondBack cover.
Ooh I was just looking at Retrax, with their offer of included rails this month. Care to share why you don’t recommend them?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 6371
I have a hook up and can get the Mopar Folding Cover #82215227AB for $675 + tax or should I spend the extra money and get the BakFlip MX4? They look almost the same...
The Bakflip, I think, is a matte finish and the Mopar is glossy. Not sure if that will matter to you. Otherwise they are the same. If there's a warranty claim I figure dealing with my local dealer is easier. I went with the Mopar cover.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the tonneau cover start from the factory when I ordered my truck. It fits tight and has no leaks and its under 1k. I love it

pmac

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one else is talking about the Mopar one. Looks the same as the MX4. Cant decide between those two though. Mopar one looks great!
Its not the matte finish that the MX4 is, more satin or semi gloss, i think the warranty is longer then the other and its made by the same company as bak and undercover. i paid $700

pmac

Reaction score
View attachment 6371
I have a hook up and can get the Mopar Folding Cover #82215227AB for $675 + tax or should I spend the extra money and get the BakFlip MX4? They look almost the same...
i just got the mopar cover and paid the same as i have a hook up as well. The same company makes bak, undercover and the mopar, the MX4 is matte and mopar is not. Mopar is cheaper and i'm pretty sure the warranty is longer.

btsomaha

Reaction score
Ooh I was just looking at Retrax, with their offer of included rails this month. Care to share why you don’t recommend them?
I think it is an OK cover, I did not like the area that the cover rolled into. It took too much room out of my 5'7" bed. I thought this would not be a big deal but I use this for work and found that I needed that space.

kingkasc

Reaction score
I just ordered a Gator tri-fold for the Rebel. I’ll let you know how it works. Should be here by Monday.
How do you like it?

I’m looking to purchase a trifold cover that works with the Mopar sliding toolbox.. do you guys know if the Mopar trifold is compatible? Thanks

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What are y’alls thoughts on retractable covers? I have been looking at this one because I can mount crossbars for my bike above the box and still have plenty of storage for my gear underneath.

https://paceedwardsdirect.com/p/pac...3OnB4MyoeB9kUGrcAf-2sN0xy5eT1N7saAiroEALw_wcB
I don’t have one so can’t give a review, but Retrax seems good and if you want bars over it they are offerring a free set with the purchase of one of their retractable tonneaus. Ends 31 Oct I think, check out their website for details.

metb4

Reaction score
What are y’alls thoughts on retractable covers? I have been looking at this one because I can mount crossbars for my bike above the box and still have plenty of storage for my gear underneath.

https://paceedwardsdirect.com/p/pac...3OnB4MyoeB9kUGrcAf-2sN0xy5eT1N7saAiroEALw_wcB
I love the RetraxONE XR so far. Good lookin' bed cover. Solid security. Dry other than a little wetness near the tailgate during car washes. It does take up a bit of bed space, but the Yakima bars above more than compensate for that IMHO.
Includes free Yakima rack if you purchase before the end of the month. https://www.retrax.com/series-348003-retraxone-xr-tonneau-cover.html

Drewsky510

Reaction score
I love the RetraxONE XR so far. Good lookin' bed cover. Solid security. Dry other than a little wetness near the tailgate during car washes. It does take up a bit of bed space, but the Yakima bars above more than compensate for that IMHO.
Includes free Yakima rack if you purchase before the end of the month. https://www.retrax.com/series-348003-retraxone-xr-tonneau-cover.html

Thanks! That one looks really sweet and I love that it includes the Yakima rack right now. Now I just need to get the wife on board before the end of October.

metb4

Reaction score
Thanks! That one looks really sweet and I love that it includes the Yakima rack right now. Now I just need to get the wife on board before the end of October.
Good luck with the wife haha

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was just checking the Bakflip site on the MX4 and noticed they've updated their "which truck do you have" logic by asking how many lugs your wheels have. 5 for DS and 6 for DT. Bad news is that there is no selection for 6 lug w/ RamBox so they've completely removed any reference to it.

Paco TX

Reaction score
Was just checking the Bakflip site on the MX4 and noticed they've updated their "which truck do you have" logic by asking how many lugs your wheels have. 5 for DS and 6 for DT. Bad news is that there is no selection for 6 lug w/ RamBox so they've completely removed any reference to it.
I just chatted with BakFlip. They now show RamBox trucks with 6 lug wheels. However, they are now predicting late December availability.

RamMeToo

Reaction score

I've had both and went retractable and went with the Retrax One XR and submitted the form for the free Yakima bars. Paid $1230 for the Retrax and $550 worth of Yakima bars/parts where free.

So far I love the Retrax. It does take a bit of space in the bed but it is well made, rolls very well, looks good, and dry.

I posted a pic of it installed here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ram-today.1686/page-18#post-43959

Drewsky510

Reaction score
I've had both and went retractable and went with the Retrax One XR and submitted the form for the free Yakima bars. Paid $1230 for the Retrax and $550 worth of Yakima bars/parts where free.

So far I love the Retrax. It does take a bit of space in the bed but it is well made, rolls very well, looks good, and dry.

I posted a pic of it installed here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ram-today.1686/page-18#post-43959

Oh man, that looks awesome! How was the installation? Also, how do you like the bed rug? I've read other posts that there were some gaps where the tailgate opening was and am curious to get your thoughts. This is exactly the set-up I am looking at doing.

RamMeToo

Reaction score
Oh man, that looks awesome! How was the installation? Also, how do you like the bed rug? I've read other posts that there were some gaps where the tailgate opening was and am curious to get your thoughts. This is exactly the set-up I am looking at doing.
Thanks, installation was easier on the Retrax than it was for the BedRug. Not sure why but my BedRug doesn't have the gaps at the corner by the tailgate to the extreme that others have posted. I just got mine about a week ago so maybe BedRug made an adjustment??? I love the Rug, had it in past Silverado as well and they hold up really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/