5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
I plan to get one of the new A.R.E. CX-Revo shells for my truck when they are available, but that is going to be several weeks (or months), and I wanted something to cover the bed in the meantime. I'm planning to have a BedRug installed very soon, and want to keep it as clean as possible in the interim. So, I ordered one of the Gator Tri-Fold covers from Amazon last Tuesday night. It was $219 shipped to my door, and arrived yesterday via FedEx. Literally a 15 minute install (if that), and looks great. Haven't tested to see about how water-tight it is, but it looks well made, and I think under normal conditions it'll do just fine.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan to get one of the new A.R.E. CX-Revo shells for my truck when they are available, but that is going to be several weeks (or months), and I wanted something to cover the bed in the meantime. I'm planning to have a BedRug installed very soon, and want to keep it as clean as possible in the interim. So, I ordered one of the Gator Tri-Fold covers from Amazon last Tuesday night. It was $219 shipped to my door, and arrived yesterday via FedEx. Literally a 15 minute install (if that), and looks great. Haven't tested to see about how water-tight it is, but it looks well made, and I think under normal conditions it'll do just fine.

Will be waiting several months on ARE or LEER and am looking for an inexpensive cover for now as well...$219 isn't terrible. Was that for the 2009-2018 RAM?

Last edited:

Reaper

Reaction score
Hello, just to chime in, I just ordered a Diamondback HD cover. I personally think these are the best covers available. Shouldn't be any water issues.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
Will be waiting several months on ARE or LEER and am looking for an inexpensive cover for now as well...$219 isn't terrible. Was that for the 2009-2018 RAM?
Mine is a 2019, but they have them for other year models as well. Search "gator tri-fold tonneau" on Amazon.com.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
I went with the Gator Tri Fold. I got it off Amazon for just about 200 bucks. Seems to work well, bed was dry after a nasty Nor-Easter this weekend. Took about 8 minutes to unbox and install.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey @jamie.howlett or @1stTimeRAM can either of you guys post or send me the link to the Amazon page?
I called this morning to change the order and they stated that they do not have a cover for the new 2019 body style (only classic) and that it won't fit... that seems incorrect as you have both ordered the cover.

Last edited:

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation @jamie.howlett.... that's the exact one I was talking to them about and they said it would not fit.... obviously that's not correct.

MSchnLoneStar19

Reaction score
Any options for retractable covers? I (will) have the BUG Rail System on my build.

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Sounds like the soft covers are less likely to leak? A tonneau cover is no good to me if the bed gets my luggage wet. I've been trying to decide between the heard cover Lomax or one of these soft covers on Amazon.

Drewsky510

Reaction score
Hello, just to chime in, I just ordered a Diamondback HD cover. I personally think these are the best covers available. Shouldn't be any water issues.

I am really curious how you like these! I have a buddy that has one on his F250 and he swears by it, but my main concern is that it seems like it reduces the ability of the truck bed to function as a ful bed since you can't fold it completely up towards the front. They look really sweet though and I love the fact that its fully waterproof.

Reaper

Reaction score
I am really curious how you like these! I have a buddy that has one on his F250 and he swears by it, but my main concern is that it seems like it reduces the ability of the truck bed to function as a ful bed since you can't fold it completely up towards the front. They look really sweet though and I love the fact that its fully waterproof.

I actually just ordered, and have not received it yet. But I have thought about how I would use it. The cover is not permanently attached. You are able to remove the cover should you need the truck bed for any purpose. HOWEVER, I purchased the HD cover which can withstand loads up 1600 pounds on top of it. There are a lot pictures where owners transport ATVs and Polarises while still having cargo space underneath. You can also throw a fridge on top if you need to transport it. With the use of ratchet ties, you can haul anything without removing the cover. I like the security it offers for whatever I store inside the truck bed as well.

1541107887446.jpeg This is not my truck. I just searched for a picture online. But just to give an idea.

Lights_out

Reaction score
I love mine, it's the Extang Revolution. No velcro strips like other roll up ones, sits very flush. Took the truck to the beach last month, it came a monsoon on the way back thanks to Hurricane Micheal, and our luggage was dry as a bone when we got home.

Attachments

• Tonneau.jpg
    Tonneau.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 364

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love mine, it's the Extang Revolution. No velcro strips like other roll up ones, sits very flush. Took the truck to the beach last month, it came a monsoon on the way back thanks to Hurricane Micheal, and our luggage was dry as a bone when we got home.

Looks good. That would have be a consideration if I didn't live in Florida. Vinyl and Florida sun don't get along. My truck sits outside 24/7

bdm219

Reaction score
I purchased a TruXedo TruXport, I have used this brand on two other trucks, they are relatively cheap ($287) and do a good job keeping 90% of the water out of the bed.

The cover I rec'd appears that it could have been 1" longer. I had a bit of trial and error trying to position it just right to seal both the front of the bed and the tailgate. This isn't something I had to do on the other two trucks.

All in all, I like it. We've had terrible rain all night and my bed is surprisingly dry.

Drewsky510

Reaction score
I actually just ordered, and have not received it yet. But I have thought about how I would use it. The cover is not permanently attached. You are able to remove the cover should you need the truck bed for any purpose. HOWEVER, I purchased the HD cover which can withstand loads up 1600 pounds on top of it. There are a lot pictures where owners transport ATVs and Polarises while still having cargo space underneath. You can also throw a fridge on top if you need to transport it. With the use of ratchet ties, you can haul anything without removing the cover. I like the security it offers for whatever I store inside the truck bed as well.

View attachment 7402 This is not my truck. I just searched for a picture online. But just to give an idea.

Whenever it comes in and you get it installed, would love to hear your thoughts! The HD looks pretty perfect being able to hold 1,600 lbs, almost makes the bed more usable since it would be more like a flatbed with the tie down points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/