5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

chad202

Reaction score
How do you like the Bedrug Impact mat? I was just looking at that, and actually thinking about getting the impact mat with the regular bedrug liner. Thought it would make for a nice combination.

I like. My only complaint is I thought it would be more rubbery/grippy.

barakutha

Reaction score

kittyjo

Reaction score

ramirj2

Reaction score
How is the seal at the top of your tailgate? I have the mx4 and they look essentially the same. I had to cut little slivers of weatherstripping, not for waterproofing, but because on end was touching the plastic on top of my tailgate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Installed on Saturday and it was raining on my way back.
Didn’t see water inside my bed

shaveman

Reaction score
How do u like it? Any water leaks? Will be getting mine undercover ultra flex end of next week...
I love it! I haven't driven through rain yet, but did take it through a car wash, and didn't see any sign of a leak. The true test will be driving through a proper Houston rain shower. It's pretty heavy duty, and it doesn't lean against the back of the cab when fully open. Here's a couple of pics:
31663 31664

brotharon

Reaction score
I love it! I haven't driven through rain yet, but did take it through a car wash, and didn't see any sign of a leak. The true test will be driving through a proper Houston rain shower. It's pretty heavy duty, and it doesn't lean against the back of the cab when fully open. Here's a couple of pics:
View attachment 31663 View attachment 31664
Looks just like my Bak MX4 (paid $700 installed for it but that is another story). I can tell you that if its seals perform the same then Houston showers are no match. My bed stays bone dry unless my wife tips the cooler over after it has been sitting in the sun all day.

shaveman

Reaction score
Looks just like my Bak MX4 (paid $700 installed for it but that is another story). I can tell you that if its seals perform the same then Houston showers are no match. My bed stays bone dry unless my wife tips the cooler over after it has been sitting in the sun all day.
Cool! Yes, the Bakflip MX4 was the other one I considered. Looks like you got a great price!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it doesn't lean against the back of the cab when fully open.

I'm just curious, why do you care if it leans against the back of the cab when it's open?

I had a BakFlip (G2?) on my 4th Gen for 10 years and 190K miles. It leaned against the back glass when open. I drove with it that way plenty in that 10 years. I never had any issue with the fact that it leaned against the back glass. I just had an issue with the fact that I could not see out of my back window at all with it up.

shaveman

Reaction score
I'm just curious, why do you care if it leans against the back of the cab when it's open?

I had a BakFlip (G2?) on my 4th Gen for 10 years and 190K miles. It leaned against the back glass when open. I drove with it that way plenty in that 10 years. I never had any issue with the fact that it leaned against the back glass. I just had an issue with the fact that I could not see out of my back window at all with it up.

Didn’t seem like a big deal to me either. It was just one of the factors I considered in my decision. I do have a buddy who’s using a BAKflip (mx4 I think) on his Tacoma, and he said it did slightly rub the paint leaning against the cab. Probably depends on the truck model as to whether that can occur.

timtlu

Reaction score
Didn’t seem like a big deal to me either. It was just one of the factors I considered in my decision. I do have a buddy who’s using a BAKflip (mx4 I think) on his Tacoma, and he said it did slightly rub the paint leaning against the cab. Probably depends on the truck model as to whether that can occur.

I've got the Mopar hard trifold that leans on the glass. Only hits in two spots, each attached with rubber bumper. The rubber doesn't leave any marks and the tonneau gets nowhere near the painted cab surface.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
How do you like the Bedrug Impact mat? I was just looking at that, and actually thinking about getting the impact mat with the regular bedrug liner. Thought it would make for a nice combination.

Just a clarification to this....
  • The Impact mat is just a mat that covers the bottom of the bed.
  • The Impact liner (that you link to) has the classic Bedrug material up the sides and the Impact TPO mat incorporated into one item.
  • You don't need to purchase a classic Bedrug liner and add the mat to get what you want. Just get the Impact liner

EDIT: - Never mind. I just saw in another thread where you ordered the right thing. Leaving the post up for others.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Just a clarification to this....
  • The Impact mat is just a mat that covers the bottom of the bed.
  • The Impact liner (that you link to) has the classic Bedrug material up the sides and the Impact TPO mat incorporated into one item.
  • You don't need to purchase a classic Bedrug liner and add the mat to get what you want. Just get the Impact liner

EDIT: - Never mind. I just saw in another thread where you ordered the right thing. Leaving the post up for others.
Thanks for explaining it better than I did. Yes, I bought the combination option with the classis Bedrug material up the sides and the impact TPO mat for the floor. I think Bedrug did good by offering this option. I believe it was something they recently added. In any event, should be arriving today, but probably won't get around to installing it until this weekend.

ndeens2289

Reaction score
I'm a truck newbie and have zero experience with tonneau covers, so I spent hours and hours researching like many others on here. Ultimately, I went with the LOMAX. Overall, I thought it was the best for the money and what I was looking for in a tonneau cover. It also helped that it had good reviews here and on other websites. Here are some pros and cons I 've noticed for those who are interested in one:

PROs:
- very easy install (took me roughly 10 minutes)
- easy removal if you need 100% bed access (takes less than 30 seconds)
- looks cleaner than other tri-folds IMO; seals between the panels are on the underside of the cover versus the top, giving the top a smoother look.
- good weather sealing (this has yet to be tested on my truck since I only installed it the other day, but others have commented how well it seals and keeps water out);
- aluminum construction, the bed can hold 400 lbs. evenly distributed
- low profile; although not completely flush, it's still less than 1/2 inch and looks great

CONs:
- has to be removed for 100% bed access (not an issue for me since I won't frequently need 100% bed access or room above the bed cap)
- aluminum construction, less dent resistant than fiberglass (not an issue for me since we rarely get hail in the northeast)

Like many others have said, if you are in the market for a tonneau cover definitely speak to/email Lucas at Truck Alterations. They got me the LOMAX and a BedRug at a great price. I received them just two days later.

Dodgey

Reaction score
Another shoutout to Luke at Truck Alterations. Best prices around and quick free shipping. Highly recommend you email him for a quote before purchasing elsewhere.

Installed the Truxedo Pro X-15 last night. Took about 45 min and easy to install especially if you watch any of the many YouTube videos. Hasn’t rained yet but looks like it should be ok.

The tonneau itself is very fitted so ensuring the side rails are very tight to the tailgate is important. If biased towards the bulkhead you could install with the tailgate not sealed properly.

Overall looks quite nice. Love the fabric. Didn’t want a big flap of leather grain vinyl and liked the ease to remove the roll if I need to place anything heavy in the front of the bed. 31868 31872 31870

Shortdustoff

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for the Truxedo sentry CT, Truxedo has a 75 dollar rebate till the end of the month I think. And if you call Luke at Truck alterations he’ll set you up with $750 shipped. After rebate $675. Not bad. Wanted to try something else other than a tri-fold that didn’t break the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread