5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

clippedwings

Reaction score
I have had 2 ARE LSII tonneau covers and have third one on order in ivory pearl to match the Laramie which I also have on order. I have been pleased with the fit and finish. They look like they are made for the truck , which they are.

Csiezega

Reaction score
Just got the MX4 from Truck Alterations based on all the popularity here. All in all not too bad, the one rail came bent in a couple places- need to contact backflip about it still was able to straighten it out with a some linesman pliers. I get a little water toward the cab and at the tailgate. Can anyone recommend a tailgate seal? Was thinking this one: Tuxedo Bulb Seal . Was thinking of putting a bead of rev underneath between the backflip rail & bed rail.

Cannonball

Reaction score
I've been REALLY happy with the American Roll Cover by Truck Covers USA. Not the cheapest, but for a retractable cover it "checks" all the boxes I wanted. Releases with a key from the top, OR quick release from the under side. Uses the least amount of space of any retractable inside the bed, too. Does a great job with keeping water out as well. The only place I get water after a car wash is through the tailgate, which has less to do with the cover and more to do with the tailgate.

Super impressed overall!!
Very nice! Who was your dealer and price?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been REALLY happy with the . Not the cheapest, but for a retractable cover it "checks" all the boxes I wanted. Releases with a key from the top, OR quick release from the under side. Uses the least amount of space of any retractable inside the bed, too. Does a great job with keeping water out as well. The only place I get water after a car wash is through the tailgate, which has less to do with the cover and more to do with the tailgate.

Nice looking cover. The canister looks exactly like a retrax. I really like the covers. Is that powered or manual?

djwdjw

Reaction score
I de-badged my Peragon cover today. Very quick and simple to do as there were only a couple of really sticky badges and a label. I like the look of no-advertisements and logos on the cover.

I wanted a non-black cover as I put stuff in the bed I'd rather not bake in the Texas heat. I figure white might help with the heat. I went with a color-matched Ivory Tri-coat Peregon cover as it met all my specs:

- solid aluminum and stainless steel hardware
- double dead-bolt
- locks with a key, not going to be opened with a coat hanger.
- no canister
- no lost bed space when I need all of it (folded cover removes/re-installs in about 30 seconds and stows in the back seat, bed, garage, etc)
- low-profile, sleek look
- fully opens/closes instantly
- color matched to the truck. Not into the generic black cover.

IMG_1086.jpg

Last edited:

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Truxedo is running a 75 dollar mail in rebate. I just bought the CT on sale for 737, down from 899 plus the 75 dollar mail in, puts it a hair under 670.

FALL SALE ON TRUXEDO HARD ROLL-UP COVERS
Nov 21 - Dec 21

$75 REBATE
ON THE SENTRY AND SENTRY CT!

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Can't decide between the Lomax $675 or the mx4 backflip $755 please help me decide. Which ever is more waterproof?

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Luke at truckalterations . Why would you pick the mx4 over the Lomax? The undercover flex is $805 fyi

geotex1

Reaction score
I was wrestling with my choose this week. Almost went with a Line-X brand LXP, which is just a private label of Truck Hero (BAK, Undercover, etc.) as a pretty good package price with my spray-in. However, I went back to my Line-X dealer today as he got one in for a 2018 RAM 2500 he was doing and said I could come see in-person something other than his store display. In a nutshell, I was not impressed with the quality of the product, and it's also heavy with the Line-X on it. Between the snow here and heat of the summers, no way that wouldn't bow! I had a BAK on my 4th Gen, actually I had 3 of them (long story), and really didn't want another MX4. I have also been told by a close friend who I buy my truck accessories through hat BAK has turned into a mass-produced mess with fading customer service. I trust this guy as I started buying accessories from his father in the 80s, and he started the shop customizing hippie vans!

Anyway, he said go Lomax, and he knows I'm an engineer and put me in touch with the designer at Agri-Cover. I had a long conversation with him this afternoon, including about what went wrong with the splitting hinge and the length Agri-Cover went to in order to correct it and make it right with their customers. That spoke to me honestly, and then my friend sent me pictures of 7 trucks he's put them on recently. SO clean looking with the hidden seals and, in my opinion, the slight overlaps of the rails and gate. I liked how easy it is to pull it completely off too! Pulled the trigger and should have it the week of the 10th.

Tjd

Reaction score
I've been REALLY happy with the American Roll Cover by Truck Covers USA. Not the cheapest, but for a retractable cover it "checks" all the boxes I wanted. Releases with a key from the top, OR quick release from the under side. Uses the least amount of space of any retractable inside the bed, too. Does a great job with keeping water out as well. The only place I get water after a car wash is through the tailgate, which has less to do with the cover and more to do with the tailgate.

I've finally found someone else that has a truck covers setup. I've actually had this since my 2014. It's been installed on 2016 and now 2019. This one is the integrated toolbox/tonneau with line-x. Still works and looks like new. These guys make a quality cover. I totally agree with you it's worth the cost.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 250

anthtony

Reaction score
I've finally found someone else that has a truck covers setup. I've actually had this since my 2014. It's been installed on 2016 and now 2019. This one is the integrated toolbox/tonneau with line-x. Still works and looks like new. These guys make a quality cover. I totally agree with you it's worth the cost.
Looks great!!! :)

iupui1299

Reaction score
I just got the mopar roll up cover. Thoygh I have to say that American Roll a cover up above looks phenomenal.

The2ndlife

Reaction score
Hello, just to chime in, I just ordered a Diamondback HD cover. I personally think these are the best covers available. Shouldn't be any water issues.
did you receive your cover? if so, how do you like it?

Zinger

Reaction score
I have had 2 ARE LSII tonneau covers and have third one on order in ivory pearl to match the Laramie which I also have on order. I have been pleased with the fit and finish. They look like they are made for the truck , which they are.

I had an ARE hard tonneau on a Dakota. While beautiful, it allowed water to creep in past the seals if you drove it in rain. Disappointing. I also didn't like how it was hard to haul anything higher than the bed, which is more an issue with lid type hard tonneaus than ARE specifically.

If I could do that one over I would have just gotten a soft tonneau or a hard rollup.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll just add that the Undercover Ultra Flex can also be in the closed position when the tailgate is opened and closed.

clippedwings

Reaction score
Never had any leaks on the 2 AREs I have owned. Agree on hauling large items, so I use one the 3 trailers I have. They are also easier to load.

Zinger

Reaction score
Never had any leaks on the 2 AREs I have owned. Agree on hauling large items, so I use one the 3 trailers I have. They are also easier to load.

It could have been that specific truck, who knows.

As for large items, I'm not talking things that required a trailer, just little things like a chair, or a larger box, etc. Things that needed just a few more inches of clearance now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread