5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chips in Body Color Bumper

TheBobs

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Obviously I'm not the first to have the chipping issue - like I said in my initial post, not surprising but still disappointing to have the damage on the front of the truck.

Checked into PPF - turns out there's an installer 5 minutes away in my little town of 1800 people. I'll swing by there this week and see what damage can be done to my wallet to avoid damage to my bumper 🤷‍♂️

Bob

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I put PPF on my Delmonico bumper right away. Did a great job. Looked good for 30k and then the bumper crumpled like a beer can when I hit a deer. So much for PPF......

How long should paint cure before putting PPF over it?

BowDown

Reaction score
I put PPF on my Delmonico bumper right away. Did a great job. Looked good for 30k and then the bumper crumpled like a beer can when I hit a deer. So much for PPF......

How long should paint cure before putting PPF over it?

Which PPF did they use? It should have easily prevented a deer from denting the bumper much less crumpling it.

Id let the paint cure for at least 90 days if air temps are over 70°, longer if not. Don't wax or seal it in that time frame either

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Which PPF did they use? It should have easily prevented a deer from denting the bumper much less crumpling it.

Id let the paint cure for at least 90 days if air temps are over 70°, longer if not. Don't wax or seal it in that time frame either
Thanks. It will be over 70 as it will be summer in Northern Virginia. The 90 day is a long time around here. Roads are constantly under construction. Oh well, I have said it before, it's a truck. Stuff happens.

I'll look into that heavier deer proof PPF this time! 🤣

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just talked with the dealerships warranty administrator about this. She said if it is under 3/36 it will be a covered repair and that the body shop has repainted 3-4 in the last month for this issue. I will start the process this week with pictures and getting it repainted( I know the body shop is a couple months out).

Dewey

Reaction score
I just talked with the dealerships warranty administrator about this. She said if it is under 3/36 it will be a covered repair and that the body shop has repainted 3-4 in the last month for this issue. I will start the process this week with pictures and getting it repainted( I know the body shop is a couple months out).
Wow! That’s very surprising.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I find that very interesting.
I wonder if that is in writing somewhere as I believe 99.9% of dealerships will refuse ANY paint damage on a painted outside surface.

I also wonder about the quality of the replacement paint job under warranty. None of the dealerships in my state do their own body or paint work and outsource it all, likely to the cheapest bidder. I have had paint jobs on bumpers from a dealership (who outsources) last a total of 3 months (yes 3 months) before being completely destroyed

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find that very interesting.
I wonder if that is in writing somewhere as I believe 99.9% of dealerships will refuse ANY paint damage on a painted outside surface.

I also wonder about the quality of the replacement paint job under warranty. None of the dealerships in my state do their own body or paint work and outsource it all, likely to the cheapest bidder. I have had paint jobs on bumpers from a dealership (who outsources) last a total of 3 months (yes 3 months) before being completely destroyed
They have their own body shop. I have used them with insurance claims in the past and they do good work. My plan is get it painted then get the PPF installed after. All the damage is from this winter from salt trucks.

BowDown

Reaction score
They have their own body shop. I have used them with insurance claims in the past and they do good work. My plan is get it painted then get the PPF installed after. All the damage is from this winter from salt trucks.

You can't PPF new paint, it'll haze over (gets cloudy) because it can't offgas during the curing process which is 60-90 days min

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can't PPF new paint, it'll haze over (gets cloudy) because it can't offgas during the curing process which is 60-90 days min
yes I know, but thanks for the warning. Most places say 30 days, waiting the 60-90 is definitely the plan.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
yes I know, but thanks for the warning. Most places say 30 days, waiting the 60-90 is definitely the plan.
I have had outgassing problems on some of the painted parts of my truck 6 months after I got it.
Cheap colored vial only around $30-40 in cost to replace though, still super annoying.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I went into the dealership this last Wednesday and they refused to even look at it.
They said unless I bought the truck from them they would refuse to do a "corrosion inquiry" and told me it would "be a 3 year wait to be looked at".

This was a dealership who actually had a body shop also.

@RamCares My bumper looks like someone shot it with a BB gun. How do I get a properly painted front bumper on a new truck ( I have pictures as little as 1 month after ownership). Local dealerships are refusing to look at it and told me to call Chrysler directly on a sticky note. This is the thirds problem I have had that 3 differnet local dealerships have been willing to work on. 1 problem I fixed myself, and the second one which was never fixed.

And yes all of those white spots on the bottom section (fog lights and lower) of the bumper are chips not bird crap.

2023-04-05 17.20.002.jpg
2023-04-05 17.20.16.jpg 2023-04-05 17.20.21.jpg

Dewey

Reaction score
I touched mine up with a Dr ColorChip Road Rash Kit. Quick and easy and looks so much better. Guess I’ll be doing this every 3-4 months. 42C17327-91F4-45F5-83C2-117D18859043.jpeg
C639E503-C3F7-4334-AFDC-752C0D17C38C.jpeg
0DE896A5-2406-4830-8FEC-BC1ED32F0EB9.jpeg
A929273B-3DDA-47FE-B085-FCA987351D37.jpeg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I touched mine up with a Dr ColorChip Road Rash Kit. Quick and easy and looks so much better. Guess I’ll be doing this every 3-4 months.
I used touchup paint every month or so. I didn't use any over the winter though so that's why my bumper looks like it.
I ordered my paint from scratches happen and just use a very small q-tip looking brush to just dab it.

After a year i'm getting a tired of my "new" bumper looking like a 5-10 year old one.

I'm wondering if anyone who doesn't work for a dealership can actually get this repaired under warranty. I think I saw 2 people that had it repainted but both were in Canada.

BowDown

Reaction score
I don't see why that would be warrantied, its obvious that something hit the bumper knocking the paint off. There is no paint that when applied to a hard surface, will not chip when hit with a rock. Anyone that's had this fixed "under warranty" was more than likely done as customer goodwill rather than warranty.
The bumper should have been had PPF applied, period.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went into the dealership this last Wednesday and they refused to even look at it.
They said unless I bought the truck from them they would refuse to do a "corrosion inquiry" and told me it would "be a 3 year wait to be looked at".
We here this alot, we get customers that drive past 4-5 Ram dealers just to get warranty paint work. Their dealers claim its too difficult and recommend ours because we have a "warranty paint department". We use our dealer and 2 other body shops near us.

It's really not hard, especially if the dealers have a good standing in their warranty claims, plus or premium warranty dealers don't need to submit prior approval.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't see why that would be warrantied, its obvious that something hit the bumper knocking the paint off. There is no paint that when applied to a hard surface, will not chip when hit with a rock. Anyone that's had this fixed "under warranty" was more than likely done as customer goodwill rather than warranty.
The bumper should have been had PPF applied, period.
I had chips in my bumper in under 30 days of owning it.
I hit something? wtf u even talking about.
You trolling?

We here this alot, we get customers that drive past 4-5 Ram dealers just to get warranty paint work. Their dealers claim its too difficult and recommend ours because we have a "warranty paint department". We use our dealer and 2 other body shops near us.

It's really not hard, especially if the dealers have a good standing in their warranty claims, plus or premium warranty dealers don't need to submit prior approval.
I know it's not hard, but most stealerships are full of a bunch of lazy people that don't want to ever do warranty work.
0 reason for them to tell me there is a 3 year wait. There is simply no such thing.
They could of started the process and if the work was going to get done outsourced it but instead they refused to even step outside and look.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
I had chips in my bumper in under 30 days of owning it.
I hit something? wtf u even talking about.
You trolling?
I did too - it's called road debris. Like the previous poster said, ANYTHING hitting a steel bumper with thin paint at speed is going to chip. I had Xpel applied to mine when it only had 300 miles on it and the installer had to Dr. Colorchip a few spots before applying the PPF.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did too - it's called road debris. Like the previous poster said, ANYTHING hitting a steel bumper with thin paint at speed is going to chip. I had Xpel applied to mine when it only had 300 miles on it and the installer had to Dr. Colorchip a few spots before applying the PPF.
It's called a terrible paint job. First car\truck ive owned that has had this problem.

I should have chips all over my hood also, but I don't have a single one.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
It's called a terrible paint job. First car\truck ive owned that has had this problem.

I should have chips all over my hood also, but I don't have a single one.
Nothing wrong with the paint job....it's called physics - road debris hitting a vertical steel surface is going to chip, just accept it. Pay a bodyshop to repaint the bumper and get it PPFed after paint cures. This isn't RAM's problem. Have any of your other cars/trucks had STEEL bumpers and not plastic ones?

Users who are viewing this thread