5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chips in Body Color Bumper

longhornram

Reaction score
Yep mines all messed up. Wish they'd have just put on the film if it was so important. I guess they did film other parts of the truck. Of course I didnt know any of that until after getting 20+ chips in the first few months and wondering wtf was going on.

I dont think normal driving causing excessive wear on one part of the car is reasonable for a manufacturer, even if that's just a painted bumper chipping.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's called a terrible paint job. First car\truck ive owned that has had this problem.

I should have chips all over my hood also, but I don't have a single one.

Steel bumper
Aluminum hood
Plastic trim

Know which ones going to chip easier…. Bingo…. steel. Understand the different characteristics between different metals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Steel bumper
Aluminum hood
Plastic trim

Know which ones going to chip easier…. Bingo…. steel. Understand the different characteristics between different metals.
Maybe if Ram understood these "different characteristics between different metals" maybe they would of put the proper protectant coating on each.
Ram warranties rust for 6 years on the warranty, chipped paint, and steel=rust

We are not talking a couple of chips, just look at my pictures. This is on a 2022, purchased in 2022. This is not "normal"

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can complain about it all you want and compare it to previous vehicles. Still isn’t a warranty issue. Whats deemed wear and tear isn’t going to be under this rust protection, unless you find a goodwill repair I wouldn’t count of then doing jacksh*t. If you can commit $60-70K for a vehicle, you can afford the $1k and have PPF applied for the added protection but like most guys on these forums they would rather cry/complain about the paint quality and how it should be warranty instead of doing something about it before it gets to bad. Guess whats going to happen if its repainted…. the same **** unless you add that extra layer of protection.

longhornram

Reaction score
If it's so easy to protect, and such commonly known occurrence, why is a new car left unguarded from it out of the factory? Why is Ram ok offering a defective product that degrades so much in only a few thousand highway miles?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's so easy to protect, and such commonly known occurrence, why is a new car left unguarded from it out of the factory? Why is Ram ok offering a defective product that degrades so much in only a few thousand highway miles?
Can't say it's just Ram, none of the truck manufacturers have a film on the bumper from the factory. But I agree they all should be putting this on painted steal bumpers.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Defective… no this isn’t something new. There’s a reason guys stick to the chrome bumpers they know chips happen on painted surfaces commonly without any further protection. Will PPF protect from everything absolutely not understand the limitations and there’s not a guarantee chips still won’t occur.

Offer it as a factory option and you’ll get those that will complain about having to pay for it or those that will go X amount of years and eventually let it yellow and want a warranty to do something about it or they”ll get a tear in it and will want the dealer to eat the cost and repair it then too. You will never please everybody.

Just like when most guys start shopping for a new to then vehicles they already have an idea on what they will want to do/change like lift/tint/etc and not think twice. For some reason 9/10x don’t think PPF falls into that category until its to late and then they wanna go complaining about the chips and how Ram should repair it for free for them.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Defective… no this isn’t something new. There’s a reason guys stick to the chrome bumpers they know chips happen on painted surfaces commonly without any further protection. Will PPF protect from everything absolutely not understand the limitations and there’s not a guarantee chips still won’t occur.

Offer it as a factory option and you’ll get those that will complain about having to pay for it or those that will go X amount of years and eventually let it yellow and want a warranty to do something about it or they”ll get a tear in it and will want the dealer to eat the cost and repair it then too. You will never please everybody.

Just like when most guys start shopping for a new to then vehicles they already have an idea on what they will want to do/change like lift/tint/etc and not think twice. For some reason 9/10x don’t think PPF falls into that category until its to late and then they wanna go complaining about the chips and how Ram should repair it for free for them.

IDK it's my 3rd DT RAM, all have had painted bumpers and none have looked like this.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still doesn’t mean its defective maybe tolerances changed at the factory. Could be a different paint manuf they using now for whatever reason or could be cost savings that the paint isn’t being applied as thick as it once was. Its not just a Ram issue I’m sure other manufacture have the same issue. If the bumper paint was pulling off in sheets then yeah defective but just chips doesn’t mean its defective.

longhornram

Reaction score

Well yes a defective bumper finish was something new to me with this Ram. I was not expecting my new truck's bumper to look like it does a few thousand miles in. I did not know an aftermarket protective film was a solution to a problem that you make out to be almost negligently common on this kind of finish for a bumper.

I just want a clean bumper and dont think normal driving should cause damage like this. So instead of Ram wowing me, they let me down here. Love this truck, but this is an issue that shouldn't be.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure its not just a issue isolated to just Ram. Im sure other truck manuf will have similar issues with painted front end components on newer trucks. You can let it stress you out until you’re blue in the face. Trade it in and maybe you’ll have better luck on another vehicles or stop waiting to long and do something about it let go of thr wallet some and Color chip fill it and have PPF applied and go enjoy your vehicle but remember the limitations.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can complain about it all you want and compare it to previous vehicles. Still isn’t a warranty issue. Whats deemed wear and tear isn’t going to be under this rust protection, unless you find a goodwill repair I wouldn’t count of then doing jacksh*t.
Paint is not a wear and tear item especially at 1500 miles

You're on a whole other level.

Still doesn’t mean its defective maybe tolerances changed at the factory. Could be a different paint manuf they using now for whatever reason or could be cost savings that the paint isn’t being applied as thick as it once was.
You are essentially descripting what defective means.

If Ram can't make a bumper that goes on a truck and keeps it's finish for 1 month, then maybe it should not be sold.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
After driving a 2011 Ram 1500 Sport with plastic front facia for 180k and still looked very good, I was disappointed when I saw this model front was no longer available in 5th Gens. Painted plastic front bumper covers for the 5th Gen would be more desirable imho. I bought a paint tube from the dealer parts counter when I picked up my truck.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had chips in my bumper in under 30 days of owning it.
I hit something? wtf u even talking about.
You trolling?

I know it's not hard, but most stealerships are full of a bunch of lazy people that don't want to ever do warranty work.
0 reason for them to tell me there is a 3 year wait. There is simply no such thing.
They could of started the process and if the work was going to get done outsourced it but instead they refused to even step outside and look.

It's called a terrible paint job. First car\truck ive owned that has had this problem.

I should have chips all over my hood also, but I don't have a single one.

No, you clearly don't understand how paint, rocks, velocity and steel interact in conjunction with an impact. No paint on this planet, no matter how thick is going to survive hard impacts (rocks) when its applied to a rigid surface like a steel bumper. A urethane bumper would be more forgiving but I would take damage in the from of gouges so you give up paint chips to a degree for the gouges left by road debris; look at the air dam under the bumper for proof of this. Powder coating wouldn't stand up to rocks and 40+ mph.

Your hood isn't at road level but rest assured, you'll get them there too in time and be back here complaining again

RamCares

Reaction score
I went into the dealership this last Wednesday and they refused to even look at it.
They said unless I bought the truck from them they would refuse to do a "corrosion inquiry" and told me it would "be a 3 year wait to be looked at".

This was a dealership who actually had a body shop also.

@RamCares My bumper looks like someone shot it with a BB gun. How do I get a properly painted front bumper on a new truck ( I have pictures as little as 1 month after ownership). Local dealerships are refusing to look at it and told me to call Chrysler directly on a sticky note. This is the thirds problem I have had that 3 differnet local dealerships have been willing to work on. 1 problem I fixed myself, and the second one which was never fixed.

And yes all of those white spots on the bottom section (fog lights and lower) of the bumper are chips not bird crap.

View attachment 156184
View attachment 156185 View attachment 156186
Hey there,

We'd love to get you some help with this. Would you mind sending us a DM?

Callie
Ram Cares

BowDown

Reaction score
Paint is not a wear and tear item especially at 1500 miles

You're on a whole other level.

You are essentially descripting what defective means.

If Ram can't make a bumper that goes on a truck and keeps it's finish for 1 month, then maybe it should not be sold.

Paint is a wear and tear item the moment the vehicle leaves a dealers lot. Contaminated surfaces under the paint is something that would be a defect, not paint that chips when a solid pointed object hits it with any velocity. By your logic, windshields are defective too:rolleyes:

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Paint is a wear and tear item the moment the vehicle leaves a dealers lot. Contaminated surfaces under the paint is something that would be a defect, not paint that chips when a solid pointed object hits it with any velocity. By your logic, windshields are defective too:rolleyes:
Yep, exactly. The guy is living in Dream Land. Maybe the RAM lady above who chimed in will send him a coloring book to ease his fears and sensitivities.

BowDown

Reaction score
Yep mines all messed up. Wish they'd have just put on the film if it was so important. I guess they did film other parts of the truck. Of course I didnt know any of that until after getting 20+ chips in the first few months and wondering wtf was going on.

I dont think normal driving causing excessive wear on one part of the car is reasonable for a manufacturer, even if that's just a painted bumper chipping.

Normal driving is subjective. There's a concrete plant near me, rock haulers deliver aggregate to the concrete plant daily, pea gravel all the up to aggregate that's 1" in diameter. Drive that road one time and you'll have damage, it depends on the conditions you drive in. I'm not sure what kind of paint some of you think exists that won't chip when applied to a steel bumper, I painted cars all through college, it all chips, even when adding a flex agent to paint to keep it somewhat soft; its not surviving a rock strike

Users who are viewing this thread