5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chips in Body Color Bumper

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it's so easy to protect, and such commonly known occurrence, why is a new car left unguarded from it out of the factory? Why is Ram ok offering a defective product that degrades so much in only a few thousand highway miles?

So why no protection for the windshield or the tires for that matter? If they did, then you'd complain about the protection being over priced

BowDown

Reaction score
Maybe if Ram understood these "different characteristics between different metals" maybe they would of put the proper protectant coating on each.
Ram warranties rust for 6 years on the warranty, chipped paint, and steel=rust

We are not talking a couple of chips, just look at my pictures. This is on a 2022, purchased in 2022. This is not "normal"

Wrong. That onus is on you. Rams job is to provide protection against defects, not wear and tear/abuse. Chipped paint not addressed by the responsible party, you, results in rust. The warranty doesn't state that it warrants the vehicle against rust from road debris or use

Ford Warranty

What does the Ford Corrosion Warranty cover?

The Ford Corrosion Warranty states:
  • If the body sheet metal has corrosion damage without perforation (holes), and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage and/or extreme environmental conditions, then the corrosion damage repairs are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty period: 3 years or 36,000 miles for cars & light trucks.
  • Rust damage resulting in perforation in body sheet metal panels is covered for 5 years/unlimited miles for cars & light trucks.
  • Aluminum Panels on 2015 F150s, 2016 cars & light trucks, and beyond vehicles, corrosion damage is covered for 5 years/unlimited miles with no requirement for perforation.
If you have a corrosion-related concern, your Ford Dealer can determine if it is covered under warranty.

Ram/Dodge warranty
Corrosion Warranty

A. Who Is Covered?

You are covered if you are a purchaser for use of the vehicle.

B. What Is Covered

This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occurs because of something other than corrosion, this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion – resulting, for example, from stone chips or scratches in the paint – is not covered. For more details on what isn’t covered by this warranty, see Certain Kinds Of Corrosion Not Covered.

BowDown

Reaction score
I’m sure its not just a issue isolated to just Ram. Im sure other truck manuf will have similar issues with painted front end components on newer trucks. You can let it stress you out until you’re blue in the face. Trade it in and maybe you’ll have better luck on another vehicles or stop waiting to long and do something about it let go of thr wallet some and Color chip fill it and have PPF applied and go enjoy your vehicle but remember the limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They all do and as a previous auto painter and someone who pays close attention to paint, its something I look at on any car I walk past. They all have it, Ram isn't special nor is their paint or the process any different than GM, Ford or the imports.

Too many people want to take no responsibility for their situation or claim they didn't know and that someone else needs to pay for their "ignorance"; wrong.
Do your due diligence, PPF isn't new, its use isn't new, rock chips aren't new. Those complaining, ever wonder why people with exotic cars get their cars PPF'd? Oh yeah, bet that could apply to your car too, crazy I know..

BowDown

Reaction score
After driving a 2011 Ram 1500 Sport with plastic front facia for 180k and still looked very good, I was disappointed when I saw this model front was no longer available in 5th Gens. Painted plastic front bumper covers for the 5th Gen would be more desirable imho. I bought a paint tube from the dealer parts counter when I picked up my truck.

A plastic (urethane) front facia is going to take rock strikes far better than a steel painted bumper but will wear worse in other areas. My 3rd gen bumper facia looked like S after a few years, looked like it had been sandblasted but thats the trade off for steel/rock chips

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Normal driving is subjective. There's a concrete plant near me, rock haulers deliver aggregate to the concrete plant daily, pea gravel all the up to aggregate that's 1" in diameter. Drive that road one time and you'll have damage, it depends on the conditions you drive in. I'm not sure what kind of paint some of you think exists that won't chip when applied to a steel bumper, I painted cars all through college, it all chips, even when adding a flex agent to paint to keep it somewhat soft; its not surviving a rock strike
Normal driving is not subjective.
Obviously driving over gravel is not "normal driving".

I have never driven into rocks or this mystical "rock storm" you seem to think we live in.
I am talking about my front bumper, I never knew rocks floated in the air waiting to be hit by people driving on "normal" paved roads.
Do you think there are gnomes in front of me throwing pebbles at the front of my truck? No chips on any other part of the truck, sides, wheel wells, etc.

So why no protection for the windshield or the tires for that matter? If they did, then you'd complain about the protection being over priced
No one has complained about price except for you.
I have a tire and wheel protection plan through Mark Dodge, and windshields are covered in my state. You are not allowed to not have insurance, and all insurance companies are required to have 0 deductible windshield coverage.

BowDown

Reaction score
Normal driving is not subjective.
Obviously driving over gravel is not "normal driving".

I have never driven into rocks or this mystical "rock storm" you seem to think we live in.
I am talking about my front bumper, I never knew rocks floated in the air waiting to be hit by people driving on "normal" paved roads.
Do you think there are gnomes in front of me throwing pebbles at the front of my truck? No chips on any other part of the truck, sides, wheel wells, etc.

No one has complained about price except for you.
I have a tire and wheel protection plan through Mark Dodge, and windshields are covered in my state. You are not allowed to not have insurance, and all insurance companies are required to have 0 deductible windshield coverage.

Driving in the city where you will encounter traffic kicking up gravel is normal, conversely, driving in the country where you may encounter gravel roads is also normal. What's not normal is expecting unprotected paint applied to a steel bumper and driven x number of miles to not succumb to rock chips.
I never said a word about a rock storm, I said normal driving where debris is going to be present.

Point out where I complained about a price genius, point that out. Alternatively, you're the one whining about everyday wear and tear rock chips; how bout you go back to your bud light now

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Paint is a wear and tear item the moment the vehicle leaves a dealers lot. Contaminated surfaces under the paint is something that would be a defect, not paint that chips when a solid pointed object hits it with any velocity. By your logic, windshields are defective too:rolleyes:

You just can’t teach stupid (Darksteel) lol, he’s gonna believe what he wants. Good luck all addressing your rock chips. Maybe your servicing dealer will help you out or more or less explain in simple terms what I’ve mentioned already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ws6guy

Reaction score
I just bought a used 21 and now have 30k miles. There's quite a few small chips, not noticeable unless you get close. However there are 5ish chips that I plan on using touch up paint on. After that I'll be getting some PPF put on the bumper and likely the leading edge of the hood and under the headlights. This is my first truck with paint to match bumpers but I've seen enough of them over the years I knew I was going to get PPF put on when I bought the truck.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel like Ram improved the paint quality from the 4th gen. I had a black 4th gen and now a black 5th gen and it seems like it is holding up very well. The 4th gen had an issue with the paint behind the paint behind the tires getting sandblasted after driving on salted/gritted roads and I ended up having to install mud flaps which I'm not a fan of. This truck does not have that issue and the paint still looks new and glossy all the way down to the rocker panels and I have more miles on this truck then the 4th gen had when I traded it.

BowDown

Reaction score
I feel like Ram improved the paint quality from the 4th gen. I had a black 4th gen and now a black 5th gen and it seems like it is holding up very well. The 4th gen had an issue with the paint behind the paint behind the tires getting sandblasted after driving on salted/gritted roads and I ended up having to install mud flaps which I'm not a fan of. This truck does not have that issue and the paint still looks new and glossy all the way down to the rocker panels and I have more miles on this truck then the 4th gen had when I traded it.

That may more be a result of the 5th gens wheels not being flush with the wheel openings

Users who are viewing this thread