5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Your Fender Flares.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put the WeatherTech flaps on mine ASAP after purchase. My Limited is showing damage on the rear flares. A few spots penetrate into the plastic.

Narrowing the waist of the truck for aerodynamics apparently has a penalty.

I've never had this kind of problem on a vehicle before.

maddog49

Reaction score
Mine only has 350 miles on it when this picture was taken. How could ram have missed this? Unacceptable on a 65k truck.

Attachments

• 20190213_205814.jpg
    20190213_205814.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 247

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have that "particular personality" of any engineer, and with it I observed the splash patterns on my truck from the ride home from purchase. It shortly thereafter received Weathertech splash guards, and I observed the new pattern. :LOL: Shortly after that, PPF found its way on the rocker and leading edge of the flares! I too live in PA, but I also have few paved roads in my area (tacked gravel) and the brine and plows pop gravel free every winter!

Good news for you, replacement flares should already come paint-matched, and are a simple install.
Do you have the link where to get them? That would be great if they were painted already.

geotex1

Reaction score
Do you have the link where to get them? That would be great if they were painted already.

Call Josh and Avondale in Arizona. They're a brick n mortar dealer but have a huge internet business that Josh primarily tends to. He's a straight shooter and will even put up an eBay auction for you to buy them with ease. If they're available, he will get them.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Call Josh and Avondale in Arizona. They're a brick n mortar dealer but have a huge internet business that Josh primarily tends to. He's a straight shooter and will even put up an eBay auction for you to buy them with ease. If they're available, he will get them.
Although based on these pictures I wonder if Im better off without them?...I might just put the 3M clear wrap on behind bothe wheel wells and rocker panel

BlkLimited22s

Reaction score
Put the film on. This happened to the front fender on my Challenger and I didn’t notice till it was too late. I will have to take a look at my truck next time I get it wash but I did notice the slush likes to accumulate right in front of the rear fender flare. This is with the weather tech.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put the film on. This happened to the front fender on my Challenger and I didn’t notice till it was too late. I will have to take a look at my truck next time I get it wash but I did notice the slush likes to accumulate right in front of the rear fender flare. This is with the weather tech.
Yea thanks...Ill do the fender as well...I was just researching and it seems pretty good although some colors my have some paint fade where the product was.

TimmyG

Reaction score
I'm curious, can the fender flares be removed if you prefer the look of the truck without any? Or does it leave behind any weird marks on paint on the fender underneath them?

EDIT: If removed, are there holes visible on the outer face of the fender? ...holes directly under the flares on the fender, facing out? Not in the wheel well area.

Last edited:

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I'm curious, can the fender flares be removed if you prefer the look of the truck without any? Or does it leave behind any weird marks on paint on the fender underneath them?

EDIT: If removed, are there holes visible on the outer face of the fender? ...holes directly under the flares on the fender, facing out? Not in the wheel well area.
Yep, very visible holes on the outside of the fender, about 10 of them.

JAGITA

Reaction score
I have that "particular personality" of any engineer, and with it I observed the splash patterns on my truck from the ride home from purchase. It shortly thereafter received Weathertech splash guards, and I observed the new pattern. :LOL: Shortly after that, PPF found its way on the rocker and leading edge of the flares! I too live in PA, but I also have few paved roads in my area (tacked gravel) and the brine and plows pop gravel free every winter!

Good news for you, replacement flares sFileZilla Malwarebytes Rufus hould already come paint-matched, and are a simple install.
I went and looked at a used ‘19 on the lot after I bought mine to see where the rocks hit; you found it! I wrapped the front of the flare with paint protection film. I also did the entire lower rocker panel. Mud flaps don’t help the rocker and front of the rear flare. Not having a running board to block the rocks leaves it vulnerable.

Last edited:

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went and looked at a used ‘19 on the lot after I bought mine to see where the rocks hit; you found it! I wrapped the front of the flare with paint protection film. I also did the entire lower rocker panel. Mud flaps don’t help the rocker and front of the rear flare. Not having a running board to block the rocks leaves it vulnerable.
Might even be able to get away from mud flaps with the protection film

swarggs

Reaction score

I'm confused...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Terrycrsr

Reaction score
Anyone have weather tech flaps and still experiencing this issue?

I installed the Weather tech flaps 100 miles after I got my 2019 Longhorn in September 18. Now has 5900 miles from a trip out West and a few others before I put it away in late November. Just went in the garage, lifted the cover and yes, I see a few small chips. So I'm sure they help, but now I may put some film protection on them.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Would a running board help prevent this chipping? I’m trying to decide on a style now and if I could provide some protection as well I will.

bonebro

Reaction score

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

bonebro

Reaction score
So do you think if I go with the amp power boards that I should do the rocker panel with the vinyl film?
For sure! I have the factory power boards and with less than five miles of dirt roads and stock Bridgestone tires, my rockers had many chips thru the clear coat and almost to the metal. I was even driving under 30 mph on the dirt. I had the rockers below the doors wrapped for $100 at a local shop. After the job, he said he would charge at least $150 to the next person because it was a PIA with the sharp contour lines. I debated buying a 4” wide roll off amazon before having the shop do it.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For sure! I have the factory power boards and with less than five miles of dirt roads and stock Bridgestone tires, my rockers had many chips thru the clear coat and almost to the metal. I was even driving under 30 mph on the dirt. I had the rockers below the doors wrapped for $100 at a local shop. After the job, he said he would charge at least $150 to the next person because it was a PIA with the sharp contour lines. I debated buying a 4” wide roll off amazon before having the shop do it.
Good to know! I got the sport package so I was also about thinking about getting the bra to cover the front to as well. I’m going to run 12 1/2 inch tires and I’m trying to figure out if I want to run a positive one or positive 20 offset but either way the final film will help as I do not want to put mudflaps on

Users who are viewing this thread