5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Your Fender Flares.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am also seeing stuff kicking up to the flare as well with WTs on. Look at this dried up salt build-up. I'll have to start using a detail spray after driving on salted roads to try to avoid damage to the soft paint. I am starting to wonder also if the flares are lacking an appropriate top level sealant. 20190131_143744.jpg

Yedi

Reaction score
first thing I noticed on these trucks was the lack of chip protection. There is nothing on the Rocker panels either. Very poor design. I sprayed U-Pol Raptor Liner on my rocker panels to prevent any chips.

The chips on the flares sucks. I would try for warranty (you should see the crap Ive warrantied at work for GMC) Then apply PPF after the new paint is fully cured, or insist they do!

Reactions: Jtr

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the WT mud flaps on my 2014 Ram, I noticed they protected about 6 inches behind the mudflaps, they will do very little all the way back on the fender flares.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
Man, this sucks. I don't even want to look after the 2 weeks of snow and salt we've had here. Fingers crossed that my steps took the brunt of the debris so I can get these covered up and protected this weekend.

swarggs

Reaction score
Man, this sucks. I don't even want to look after the 2 weeks of snow and salt we've had here. Fingers crossed that my steps took the brunt of the debris so I can get these covered up and protected this weekend.
I'm thinking the stock steps will protect you pretty well. Luckily I was able to keep my truck in the garage during this weeks nasty weather until my film came in and I could get it on. Let the beater take all that winter abuse.

swarggs

Reaction score
I pulled the flares off and wrapped them in 3m PPF yesterday just as a quick protection until I get some steps on. Idk what film I'll end up using once I repair the paint damage.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, My '16 F150 had some paint protection film on the flares in this area from the factory. Aside from the front end PPF I had done when I picked up my RAM, I put on some PPF on the lower end of the flares and the area just in front of them.

I picked up a 12"x36" roll on eBay a few years ago to use in a couple spots on my boat. Great to have around for odd jobs, etc.

azzx

Reaction score
Guys,
I did put the mud flaps and also added the 3m film to the front and rear leading edge of the rear flare
so far good.
Bought the 6 X 48 inch film from eBay for 24 bucks.
it took patience to wrap the bottom edge without air bubbles
worth the effort.

BTW I used the film to cover the door sils

Attachments

• P1060950.JPG
    P1060950.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 237
  • P1060949.JPG
    P1060949.JPG
    826.6 KB · Views: 238

swarggs

Reaction score
Wow. I feel your pain. Whatever road debris in our areas must effect the damage. My fender flare damage is much worse than yours - however my area in front of the flares are untouched, while yours seem to have taken some hits.

Last edited:

2wd

Reaction score
Dumb question do all models have fender flares? I checked and I don't seem to have the same as the pics you're posting.

swarggs

Reaction score
Dumb question do all models have fender flares? I checked and I don't seem to have the same as the pics you're posting.

No dumb questions. They come standard on Laramie and up trims. I'm not sure if they're options on the Big Horn and under trims.

Reactions: 2wd

2wd

Reaction score
No dumb questions. They come standard on Laramie and up trims. I'm not sure if they're options on the Big Horn and under trims.

Thank you sir. That explains it - I have a Big Horn

shenry7

Reaction score
I just ordered these, so I'll report back. But I think the best prevention is going to be installing side steps. It looks like that will block the debris path almost entirely. Expensive preventative maintenance, RAM. Bummer for all the retractable step trucks.

I have Mopar Mud Flaps and the Mopar full length 5" nerf steps and my rear flares and the rocker in front of it are destroyed. 3500 miles on mine. Live in PA. Laramie model.

Georgian996

Reaction score
I do - I put the WT mud flaps on when new - had no impact on this issue - seems like soft paint....

Matt
I am not having that issue yet but driving through the mountains of Western Maryland and West Virginia two weeks ago with salt (not gravel) on the roads and the painted bumper area on the front and the plastic panels under the lights have little salt rock chips all over them. Truck has less than 3k miles on it. I have never had this happen on any other vehicle this soon. I was thinking soft paint as well like they didn’t use enough hardener or something. Does anyone think this would be covered by warranty?

swarggs

Reaction score
I have Mopar Mud Flaps and the Mopar full length 5" nerf steps and my rear flares and the rocker in front of it are destroyed. 3500 miles on mine. Live in PA. Laramie model.

This is disappointing news. I just put the steps on so I guess I have done all I can. I'll keep an eye on it and see how the 3M film is holding up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online