5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Your Fender Flares.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the rear fender flare facing the front of the vehicle. Whatever chips this area is being kicked up by the front wheels. The front flares are untouched.

+1 on that being a long way for that crude to kick up and travel to etch into the flare like that.

Hanmore

Reaction score
Ah! **** that's a long way for the debris the travel.
I have put the Suntec film on the rear fender flare and it only lasted a few weeks had damage that wopuld not heal itsellf. went back to the installer he removed it and put on 2 layers. 3 weeks so far so good.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have weather tech flaps and still experiencing this issue?

swarggs

Reaction score

I just ordered these, so I'll report back. But I think the best prevention is going to be installing side steps. It looks like that will block the debris path almost entirely. Expensive preventative maintenance, RAM. Bummer for all the retractable step trucks.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would mud flaps have helped minimize this issue? Does OP have mud flaps?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had my truck for about a week before I put my Weathertech mudflaps on. Before them the snow and crud would go almost 1/2 way up the door, after the flaps maybe a 1/4 way up. Just got my steps installed today so should stop all of it.
Sorry for dirty pics but it's a little cold(-20C) to wash it.

Pass side from front com.JPG Drivers side from front com.JPG

geotex1

Reaction score
For the long bed like I have, both the Weathertechs and some PPF are needed. The Weathertechs on a short bed seam to toss it back to the rear wheel instead of in front of it.

For those thinking that's a long toss, trust me, it is not. You should see what my dually can throw out the rear set!

bonebro

Reaction score
For the long bed like I have, both the Weathertechs and some PPF are needed. The Weathertechs on a short bed seam to toss it back to the rear wheel instead of in front of it.

For those thinking that's a long toss, trust me, it is not. You should see what my dually can throw out the rear set!
I have weather tech flaps and long bed... don’t help stop the damage on the rear flare or the rocker panels. I have the retractable steps and there were rock chips in the paint above the retractable side step! Ha only had about 5 miles of dirt roads and noticed the damage. I had film put on the rockers, under the retractable step and on the rear flare. I like the retractable step, but a normal running board would protect the rockers and rear flare from damage.

hallchris80

Reaction score
This is because of the new body style of the 2019 Rams. More aerodynamic. My last 2015 Ram Limited Fender flares had zero chips after 4 years. I just looked at my 3 week old truck, and while it's not as bad as pics above, it's starting. That's terrible.

I also have the mud flaps that don't help the back flares. Looking at my truck, I can see where the snow and sand is building up on the leading edge of the flares.

Chris

Jordan2929

Reaction score
That's the main reason I didn't even drive it 50 miles before I got some mudflaps put on. I feel bad for the OP, that would ruin my day pretty quick.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One reason I had the steps put on my truck, I like the look better without but they tuck under the doors and body panels just enough to block the rocks and debris from hitting the side of the truck.

MattF

Reaction score

I do - I put the WT mud flaps on when new - had no impact on this issue - seems like soft paint....

Matt

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do - I put the WT mud flaps on when new - had no impact on this issue - seems like soft paint....

Matt
I put my WT flaps on about 300 miles after delivery and looking yesterday after washing I have the same road rash on the fender but it is not to the extent that OP showed. I wish I got them installed from the get go but I'm glad that the flaps have worked for you because that gives me piece of mind going forward.

MattF

Reaction score
I put my WT flaps on about 300 miles after delivery and looking yesterday after washing I have the same road rash on the fender but it is not to the extent that OP showed. I wish I got them installed from the get go but I'm glad that the flaps have worked for you because that gives me piece of mind going forward.

I was unclear - the WT mudflats have NOT help to prevent this issue. Unfortunately

Matt

slimchance

Reaction score
i put the WT mudflaps on each of our Rams the day after we got them and they both have running boards .... i do NOT see the fender flare damage on our trucks here in PA

Users who are viewing this thread