5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Your Fender Flares.

swarggs

Reaction score
Anyone else having this issue? I have 3500 miles on the truck, no off road use. I'm guessing it's from whatever salt mix they're using in Pennsylvania. Just chipping here, nothing on the front of the vehicle.

Time for some flaps at a min. 20190127_162720.jpg

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have they started using gravel (they call it "sand") like they do here in Colorado?

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

bonebro

Reaction score
Anyone else having this issue? I have 3500 miles on the truck, no off road use. I'm guessing it's from whatever salt mix they're using on Pennsylvania. Just chipping here, nothing on the front of the vehicle.

Time for some flaps at a min. View attachment 14708
I went and looked at a used ‘19 on the lot after I bought mine to see where the rocks hit; you found it! I wrapped the front of the flare with paint protection film. I also did the entire lower rocker panel. Mud flaps don’t help the rocker and front of the rear flare. Not having a running board to block the rocks leaves it vulnerable.

Last edited:

Bam2880

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same exact thing. I wonder if it could be some sort of warranty issue?

swarggs

Reaction score
Have they started using gravel (they call it "sand") like they do here in Colorado?

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.
I'm not sure exactly what the mixture is, but it definitely contains some stones / gravel.

bonebro

Reaction score
Poor design... the flare and fender stick out further than the cab body and catches everything that slides down the side of the cab. It should of at least come with film on it from the factory.

lambone

Reaction score
Yup mine look the same after 2,000 miles.

Two trips to the ski area did it. I regret not adding paint protection right after I bought the truck, too late now...

I’m considering LineX-ing the flares and lower rocker panels.

geotex1

Reaction score
I have that "particular personality" of any engineer, and with it I observed the splash patterns on my truck from the ride home from purchase. It shortly thereafter received Weathertech splash guards, and I observed the new pattern. :LOL: Shortly after that, PPF found its way on the rocker and leading edge of the flares! I too live in PA, but I also have few paved roads in my area (tacked gravel) and the brine and plows pop gravel free every winter!

Good news for you, replacement flares should already come paint-matched, and are a simple install.

MattF

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with mine - Billet Silver - the dealership said RAM won't cover it... my truck has 4300 miles on it. I can imagine the paint will be completely gone by 10K... I've never experienced this on any vehicle I've owned... really disappointing for such a costly truck

Matt

VdMer

Reaction score
I went and looked at a used ‘19 on the lot after I bought mine to see where the rocks hit; you found it! I wrapped the front of the flare with paint protection film. I also did the entire lower rocker panel. Mud flaps don’t help the rocker and front of the rear flare. Not having a running board to block the rocks leaves it vulnerable.

@bonebro or whomever. What paint protection film did you use/recommend? 3M or other? I don't have the issue, but had plans to do this on the hood and will add this in. Thx.

geotex1

Reaction score
@bonebro or whomever. What paint protection film did you use/recommend? 3M or other? I don't have the issue, but had plans to do this on the hood and will add this in. Thx.

I prefer Xpel over 3M, especially their latest film. Heals, takes a beating, and stays looking great year after year of PA winters!

On my 2019, I have the front bikini for partial hood and leading parts of fenders & front flares; the fillers below the headlights; custom A-pillars; custom roof (to the ridges); lower leading bed panel & flares; and custom on door rockers.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am trying to tell by the picture... Is this the flare just adjacent and facing the rear passenger door? I am trying to figure out where the splash pattern is kicking stuff up by looking at the picture.

griebs303

Reaction score
20190127_130444.jpg 20190127_130455.jpg
I literally just discovered this yesterday on my truck. I bought the truck with a few hundred miles on it last week. Going to take it to the dealership tomorrow to see what they say. Mine also has the bed chipped next to the flair, we haven't had enough snow storms in Colorado for it to look this rough

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
What am I missing here? How is it chipping in that spot when it faces away from the tire?

I'll go out and take a look at mine in a bit.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What am I missing here? How is it chipping in that spot when it faces away from the tire?

I'll go out and take a look at mine in a bit.

The OP's pic is the right rear wheel so it's getting hit by debris from the right front tire kicking it up.

swarggs

Reaction score
I am trying to tell by the picture... Is this the flare just adjacent and facing the rear passenger door? I am trying to figure out where the splash pattern is kicking stuff up by looking at the picture.
This is the rear fender flare facing the front of the vehicle. Whatever chips this area is being kicked up by the front wheels. The front flares are untouched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online