5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check my build-am I better off going a trim level up?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to put together an order later today at a dealer for just over invoice. The order will be a fairly spec'd out BH which gets into Laramie/Rebel territory. It is a Backcounty with Level 2 equipment, 33 gal tank, trailer brake controller, 3.92, safety group 1, BSM, PLG, Alpine sound, 8.4Nav. MSRP is 61430 and the price jumped about $1300 in a week. The online configuration tool is not accurate as it doesn't list the new pricing or Level 2 equipment available. I like the look of the Backcountry with the 18" wheels and two tone with blacked out emblems. I think the vinyl/cloth seats look pretty sharp too so looks-wise I really like it.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you like the look and feel of the backcountry...then just stay with it. The Rebel or Laramie are not going to be the same.

Sounds like you are ordering a great truck.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was in the same situation, the Laramie ended being more than the Big Horn. My MSRP is north of 64k after the recent price jump. I liked the BackCountry look and stayed with it.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't mess around with a lowly BH. Go for a Limited Night Edition and swap on some 18's. That's what I did 😁
That's a joke BTW, for any BH owners who might take offense.
I'll do that with my next one. It better be electric though. ;) Love the look. Very bad a$$ but classy

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2019 BH and now a 21 Laramie and they are both great trim's. Given that you like the Back Country package wheels and seats I would stick with that package in the BH trim. The other piece to factor in is the incentives are almost always better on Big Horns so even if the MSRP is close you'll often get more in rebates on the Big Horn and lower your OTD price. You used to be able to order a Laramie with two-tone paint but it appears that is not an option on 2022 models so there is another vote for the Backcountry.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 2019 BH and now a 21 Laramie and they are both great trim's. Given that you like the Back Country package wheels and seats I would stick with that package in the BH trim. The other piece to factor in is the incentives are almost always better on Big Horns so even if the MSRP is close you'll often get more in rebates on the Big Horn and lower your OTD price. You used to be able to order a Laramie with two-tone paint but it appears that is not an option on 2022 models so there is another vote for the Backcountry.
That's definitely true about the rebates and incentives on the BH.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rebate/incentive are good points. Hopefully by the time is comes in there will be some good ones.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Comparing similar options on a BH to a Laramie, it looks like the BH is about $7-8k cheaper. As I was going through the ordering process, I decided there were things that I had to have. In the past, I would have talked myself out of the options I wanted and now that I have my Laramie, I'm glad I didn't. LED headlights, ventilated seats, power running boards, and leather were all option I had to have. Sure, I could have added all of that stuff later, but my history shows that I wouldn't. Life is short. Get the stuff you want...not need.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. The salesman is running the payment for the deposit right now. I am glad I did not compromise what I wanted. I think I will appreciate it when it comes in.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take a drive in a similar-ish Laramie and pick the one you like best.

My BH is well into Laramie territory price-wise (MSRP of $54K) but it was the truck I wanted (feel and price).

Did I want a Laramie? Sure. Was I willing to pay an extra $4K to get some of those "extra" features that I couldn't get in a BH (leather seats, adaptive cruise control, Alpine audio*)? Yep.

There was an extra $5K off a BH so was I willing to write a check for an extra $9K? Nope.

* To clarify - to get the Alpine audio (at least for a 2019 BH) you had to get eTorque also. At that time eTorque was a $1200 option (on top of the $1000 Alpine option) so $2200 was out of the question for the Alpine audio in a BH for me.

In addition to the base audio, I did not get (or want) the pano roof, air suspension, 12" screen, eTorque, RAM Boxes. or 3.92. I had to buy from dealer stock so was at the mercy of what was on the lots and the nearly perfect truck had 3.21s.

If I had to do it over again I'd probably do the same thing (although after playing with my dad's 12" I probably would get one). The only things I would want from the Laramie would be the adaptive cruise control and leather seats (I really miss them). If I miss them enough it's only $1300 to have Katzkin seat covers installed which is a far cry from the $9K to bump up to a Laramie with leather/suede..

I have the Premium LED Lighting Group and de-badged my truck so I can mingle amongst the star-bellied sneetches of Laramie Land. 🤫 :cool:

Just my .02

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for those thoughts. I have driven both and for me, the BH Backcounty has the look I like. I do like the look of the Backcounty seats over the leather. If I want leather later I think I'd go Katskinz too. The material feels better than OEM too.

Like you, there are some things I really want but can't get right now. Adaptive cruise control is one of them. For under $600 I have the safety group that will allow me to add it. About the only other nice to have would be the memory sears, but I do not believe it does anything to the mirrors and I know the steering wheel, so it's seat only. Not that big of a deal.

I was unsure on the gearing but went 3.92. No clear right answer but for the majority of around town driving I do, I think I would enjoy the sportier feel of the 3.92. Better mpg's too possibly.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^This^^ The BH's tend to have much better rebates, my truck is a very well option BH and stickered for around 60k😳 but with Dealer incentives, my price was around 51k, I don't think I would have touched a Laramie for that.

For me, it was all about a few key options, so I crossed shopped both Big Horn, Rebel, and Laramie's till I found one that had my must-haves.

The only option I would like to have is a power passenger seat and maybe rear heated seats, otherwise, I am very happy with my truck.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me, it was all about a few key options, so I crossed shopped both Big Horn, Rebel, and Laramie's till I found one that had my must-haves.
It was very hard to find an Off-Road Package truck with leather seats.

The only option I would like to have is a power passenger seat and maybe rear heated seats, otherwise, I am very happy with my truck.
I forgot about the passenger's seat. My wife was not happy that she couldn't raise the passenger's seat (she's 5'4") but didn't think it was worth $9K ;).

Southside

Reaction score
Thanks for those thoughts. I have driven both and for me, the BH Backcounty has the look I like. I do like the look of the Backcounty seats over the leather. If I want leather later I think I'd go Katskinz too. The material feels better than OEM too.

Like you, there are some things I really want but can't get right now. Adaptive cruise control is one of them. For under $600 I have the safety group that will allow me to add it. About the only other nice to have would be the memory sears, but I do not believe it does anything to the mirrors and I know the steering wheel, so it's seat only. Not that big of a deal.

I was unsure on the gearing but went 3.92. No clear right answer but for the majority of around town driving I do, I think I would enjoy the sportier feel of the 3.92. Better mpg's too possibly.
I was torn between the Back Country and Rebel, at first I couldnt get the PLG on the BC which was a deal breaker for me. Then PLG became unrestricted again so i ordered the BC. Only options I wish were orderable on the BC is 360 cameras and MFT. Hopefully the 360 cameras will be retrofitable at some point, as i ordered the 12"uConnect.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Multifunction tailgate is orderable now. I saw one on BC Saturday at a dealer. I did not get the 12" screen. It was quite a bit and not a much have for me. I messed with both and figured I could live with the 8.4. The 12" sure is nice though

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was very hard to find an Off-Road Package truck with leather seats.

I forgot about the passenger's seat. My wife was not happy that she couldn't raise the passenger's seat (she's 5'4") but didn't think it was worth $9K ;).
I was concerned about that with my wife too, but we took some rides and she thought the BH seats were fine. If I had a choice, I would probably choose it but I did not have that one.

Itsslow98

Reaction score
I have a decently optioned backcountry and love it. It's a rare truck in today's world which is nice also for down the road.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, building on the site it looked like I wanted to upgrade mine too. I would have gotten a few nicer options for only $1,400 more. Then incentives came into play. They were half what I got on the BH.

That was before the crash on the economy from the January 20,2021 farce so it was a large incentive. I had to stick with the Big Horn.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These decisions were making my head explode towards the end of 2021 production when people started having stuff left off of their trucks. It's a big reason I just decided to go Limited. By the time I basically did a fully loaded Big Horn and tried to get prices locally (which were all MSRP) I felt like it was too much for the trim level. Once I found out about Mark Dodge and realized I could basically get a Limited from the them exactly how I wanted for the same price as a loaded Big Horn locally, it made the decision for myself.

This, of course, was driven by my budget.

I do think there's a reason why they build more Big Horns than anything else and while a volume dealer isn't going to discount a BH as much as a higher trim (there's just not as much play in the pricing) the incentives are definitely better, at least in non-C19er times.

Users who are viewing this thread