5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check my build-am I better off going a trim level up?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These decisions were making my head explode towards the end of 2021 production when people started having stuff left off of their trucks. It's a big reason I just decided to go Limited. By the time I basically did a fully loaded Big Horn and tried to get prices locally (which were all MSRP) I felt like it was too much for the trim level. Once I found out about Mark Dodge and realized I could basically get a Limited from the them exactly how I wanted for the same price as a loaded Big Horn locally, it made the decision for myself.

This, of course, was driven by my budget.

I do think there's a reason why they build more Big Horns than anything else and while a volume dealer isn't going to discount a BH as much as a higher trim (there's just not as much play in the pricing) the incentives are definitely better, at least in non-C19er times.
I agree it is all dependent on timing and market conditions at the time of purchase. I had a 14 and 19 BH because of budget and the premium to get to a Laramie was always too high. Fast forward to spring 2021 and the clouds align on trade value of my 2019 and someone else having ordered the exact weird configuration I wanted in a Laramie and then cancelling their order so the truck had been sitting 3 months on dealer lot and suddenly I walk in with a BH and out with a Laramie and cash in my pocket. This will likely never happen again in my life but I just happened to get really lucky on timing and circumstance.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If my order works out well I think going forward that might be the way to go. In the past I have always felt that I settled in some area that just ends up bumming me out in the long run. I just seem to have a list of wants and not wants that lots of others do not have.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the Premium LED Lighting Group and de-badged my truck so I can mingle amongst the star-bellied sneetches of Laramie Land. 🤫 :cool:
Except for the lack of fender flares. 😁
It was very hard to find an Off-Road Package truck with leather seats.
That's interesting. In my area it was more common to have the ORG on a given truck that's sitting on a dealer lot than to not have ORG. No matter the trim level. At least that's how it was when I was shopping for my Limited back in May last year. That was just one of the reasons it took me so long to find the right truck. I didn't want the ORG because I wanted a Limited with the Night Edition package, and you can only get one or the other on a Limited.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If my order works out well I think going forward that might be the way to go. In the past I have always felt that I settled in some area that just ends up bumming me out in the long run. I just seem to have a list of wants and not wants that lots of others do not have.
That used to be me. Settling sucks. Which is why I went for broke with my current truck. No regrets is nice. 😁

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing I didn't order that I wonder about is the 12" screen. I think it looks really nice, but I really cannot find a need for it. I had to build it within my budget while getting what I really wanted and that was about the only thing I passed on.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was very hard to find an Off-Road Package truck with leather seats.

I forgot about the passenger's seat. My wife was not happy that she couldn't raise the passenger's seat (she's 5'4") but didn't think it was worth $9K ;).
We have the opposite issue, my wife is 6' and wants the seat to be lower :ROFLMAO:

I was kinda wanting the Off Road package, but it was hard to find in general and after some thinking and realizing that I am not going off road all that much if ever, I let that option go.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Except for the lack of fender flares. 😁
Funny, that was one thing about the Laramie's that I did not like:D so I was pretty happy that the BH did not have them. I prefer the smooth look.

That said, it would not have been a deal breaker for me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Funny, that was one thing about the Laramie's that I did not like:D so I was pretty happy that the BH did not have them. I prefer the smooth look.

That said, it would not have been a deal breaker for me.
I wasn't pushing for against the fender flares. In fact, I kind of wish my truck didn't have them. My comment was more in response to brian42's comment about mingling in with the Laramies. They're an obvious marker for me that differentiates between the BH and the Laramie models. I believe the BTS models do have fender flares though, so it's more difficult to tell between a BTS and Laramie. The wheels and flag decals are the next obvious marker for me, unless I'm close enough to read the tailgate badge.

Users who are viewing this thread