5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Engine Light - Trans?

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So power steering failed and they replaced the PCM and EPSM. Now a few hundred miles later I get this check engine light saying "Service Trans." Anyone get this yet? Only at 2700miles

@RamCares

Attachments

• IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86

RenoRam

Reaction score
So power steering failed and they replaced the PCM and EPSM. Now a few hundred miles later I get this check engine light saying "Service Trans." Anyone get this yet? Only at 2700miles

@RamCares
Have not heard of this one. Have to say I usually dont believe in coincidences. Please keep us posted on what happens. Good luck.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
P.S. check out my amazing MPG in the photo 12.7!!

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my truck is back at the dealership. Dropped it off at 7am this morning for the check engine light. They told me its throwing new codes now.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
Well my truck is back at the dealership. Dropped it off at 7am this morning for the check engine light. They told me its throwing new codes now.

hey @alacombe, i can't get over the amount of crappy luck you have had. im not sure i would be taking it as well as you have. the "ram guru" in you, must keep you calm:ROFLMAO:. keep your chin up-things have to get better. keep us posted(y)

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as its under warranty, I'm not paying any money, and they give me a rental I can deal with it.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my truck back today. They said the check engine light was caused by snow getting frozen around the transfer case. My dealership said they has been a common problem for the past 2yrs with Rams. My dealership said FCA is aware of this and yet made a fix for it.

My dealer said the skid plates I got with the Off Road Package is compacting the snow and not helping this issue. So anyone that lives in a state that has snow and has the off road package right have this issue.

My dealer also said they had 3 other rams in the past 48hrs for the same issue.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Thankfully it's not an actual issue. My mileage has been down since my PCM was replaced as well. I think it's probably still in a learning or breakin type mode since it got replaced, as though a new truck would. It could also be I'm using remote start a whole lot more so it idles in my driveway in the mornings.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
My dealer said the skid plates I got with the Off Road Package is compacting the snow and not helping this issue. So anyone that lives in a state that has snow and has the off road package right have this issue.

well that sucks. snow coming for me next week. this is great info for us living up north and having the ORP. apparently ORP- only good when no snow.:unsure:

Bram2019

Reaction score
I would be curious to know exactly what the fault codes were.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be curious to know exactly what the fault codes were.
p0850 & p1b13 These are the code codes stored in the DTC.

p1b13 = "Park-By-Wire unintended out of park position"
p0850 = "Park/neutral position (PNP) switch -input circuit malfunction"

If I am wrong please someone correct me because I am also curious on these above codes meanings.

Last edited:

Bram2019

Reaction score
One code is tied to the other. If the manual release cable becomes stuck in the wrong position or can't move, it will generate these codes. If it is free and works, probably a valve body/tcm issue. So if the manual release lever on the transmission is stuck with ice or snow, it can cause those codes.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One code is tied to the other. If the manual release cable becomes stuck in the wrong position or can't move, it will generate these codes. If it is free and works, probably a valve body/tcm issue. So if the manual release lever on the transmission is stuck with ice or snow, it can cause those codes.
I appreciate the info. I actually do believe my dealerships reason blaming the snow and my skid plates. So this would make sense.

compman72

Reaction score
This isn’t the first snow I’ve driven this truck in but it was the first slushy messy snow and get home after driving 6 miles and get home and had the same warning on the VIC and CEL as the OP but for me when I turned the knob to shift into park it turned the engine shut off but the push button remained in the run position.
I disconnected the battery for 45 minutes and the CEL remained.
I went on to AutoZone about 15 miles away and not much snow /slush on the road and had code P0850. Started up the truck to leave AutoZone and the CEL was gone. I assume this caused by the snow getting on the shift assembly on the transmission. I’m due for an oil change soon and will bring this up with the dealer.

Cven3414

Reaction score
I had this happen to me a year ago when I went to park it wouldn't shift into park because of the snow and slush around the tranny. It just happend again to me. I tried turning on and off a few times and it either wouldn't go into park or would shut off on it's own. I took it to the dealer and another 1500 in front of me was having the exact same problem.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had this happen to me a year ago when I went to park it wouldn't shift into park because of the snow and slush around the tranny. It just happend again to me. I tried turning on and off a few times and it either wouldn't go into park or would shut off on it's own. I took it to the dealer and another 1500 in front of me was having the exact same problem.

Hi @Cven3414 - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM if you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer on this! We are more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf if needed.

Mark
RamCares

adoto1123

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 2020 1500 and live in Massachusetts and was driving in the slush and snow on Saturday night, when I got home the truck would not shift into park. The engine light came on and then I got a service transmission warning. I engaged the parking brake and shut the truck off. I then tried to start it again, it turned over and then stalled on me, I did this 3 times and then just left it off with parking brake on.
The next morning the truck started and shifted into drive and park properly but the engine light and service transmission was still on. I had it towed to my local dealership but they haven't looked at it yet. Any ideas? I don't want them to give me the runaround saying it was some transmission code that faulted etc.

Thanks!

Pcranford

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 2020 1500 and live in Massachusetts and was driving in the slush and snow on Saturday night, when I got home the truck would not shift into park. The engine light came on and then I got a service transmission warning. I engaged the parking brake and shut the truck off. I then tried to start it again, it turned over and then stalled on me, I did this 3 times and then just left it off with parking brake on.
The next morning the truck started and shifted into drive and park properly but the engine light and service transmission was still on. I had it towed to my local dealership but they haven't looked at it yet. Any ideas? I don't want them to give me the runaround saying it was some transmission code that faulted etc.

Thanks!
What did you find out on this? Mine is doing the same thing..

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my truck back today. They said the check engine light was caused by snow getting frozen around the transfer case. My dealership said they has been a common problem for the past 2yrs with Rams. My dealership said FCA is aware of this and yet made a fix for it.

My dealer also said they had 3 other rams in the past 48hrs for the same issue.
I'm not a full mechanic but....wouldn't it be "service 4wd" message if it was the transfer case being the issue??? How is the transmission light being lit up if the transfer case is the problem? I understand the transmission issue if it's not shifting into park...but if there's a problem with the transfer case...the service 4wd message always illuminates...right? Hope I'm making sense here...lol

Users who are viewing this thread