5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Engine Light - Trans?

adoto1123

Reaction score
What did you find out on this? Mine is doing the same thing..
The dealer told me that the snow and ice built up around where the shifting mechanism is and thats why the truck wouldn't go into park. I spoke to the technician and said I thought the transmission was electronic which he said it is but there is still a mechanism that moves so the snow and ice prevented that. I then asked if there was any fix and he said no and that it could happen again. I told him that was an unacceptable and BS answer. He then showed me
What did you find out on this? Mine is doing the same thing..
The dealer told me that there was nothing wrong that the build up of snow and ice under the truck in the area of where the shifting mechanism is, caused the truck to not go into park. I spoke directly to the technician that worked on the truck and I told him that I thought the transmission was electronic and he said it was but there is still a mechanism that moves inside.
He then showed me under the truck where it is and said that if it happens which he can't guarantee it wont, i could crawl under my truck and clean the snow away from the area. I asked him if he was kidding and told him that was an unacceptable and BS answer. He also mentioned that the manual neutral pulley which is on the left side under the headlight switch. He told me I could pull on that a few times to loosen up any build up of snow and ice.
These dopes that work at the dealership think your stupid. You pay $60k for a brand truck and they think I'm going to crawl underneath to clean snow away from the shifting mechanism? It's 2020 and it's a pickup truck!!! I called RamCare and got nowhere with them. The girl on the phone told me she was going to have a case manager that works with my dealership call me within 24 hours and that was a week ago. This is my third Ram and needless to say, this is unacceptable and I am pissed.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer told me that the snow and ice built up around where the shifting mechanism is and thats why the truck wouldn't go into park. I spoke to the technician and said I thought the transmission was electronic which he said it is but there is still a mechanism that moves so the snow and ice prevented that. I then asked if there was any fix and he said no and that it could happen again. I told him that was an unacceptable and BS answer. He then showed me

The dealer told me that there was nothing wrong that the build up of snow and ice under the truck in the area of where the shifting mechanism is, caused the truck to not go into park. I spoke directly to the technician that worked on the truck and I told him that I thought the transmission was electronic and he said it was but there is still a mechanism that moves inside.
He then showed me under the truck where it is and said that if it happens which he can't guarantee it wont, i could crawl under my truck and clean the snow away from the area. I asked him if he was kidding and told him that was an unacceptable and BS answer. He also mentioned that the manual neutral pulley which is on the left side under the headlight switch. He told me I could pull on that a few times to loosen up any build up of snow and ice.
These dopes that work at the dealership think your stupid. You pay $60k for a brand truck and they think I'm going to crawl underneath to clean snow away from the shifting mechanism? It's 2020 and it's a pickup truck!!! I called RamCare and got nowhere with them. The girl on the phone told me she was going to have a case manager that works with my dealership call me within 24 hours and that was a week ago. This is my third Ram and needless to say, this is unacceptable and I am pissed.
This might sound naive but would it be possible to just add something that sort of blocks or seals off the area to prevent the issue from happening??

Bram2019

Reaction score
You know the whole setup is kind of a problem. There is a release lever on the side of the trans that is actually used if the vehicle needs to be towed. It unlocks the park pall so you can tow the truck. It is connected by a cable to a lever inside the truck. The issue is if that lever gets packed with ice, it could get jammed into a position where the truck won't go into park because it is being wedged the same way as if the release lever in the truck would be pulled. Skid plates may make this worse. I do not know how you would construct a shield to help this. I guess FCA never thought about this.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know the whole setup is kind of a problem. There is a release lever on the side of the trans that is actually used if the vehicle needs to be towed. It unlocks the park pall so you can tow the truck. It is connected by a cable to a lever inside the truck. The issue is if that lever gets packed with ice, it could get jammed into a position where the truck won't go into park because it is being wedged the same way as if the release lever in the truck would be pulled. Skid plates may make this worse. I do not know how you would construct a shield to help this. I guess FCA never thought about this.
I guess I would just have to see a picture of the area to know if anything home made would help or not .

tashasmanken

Reaction score
I live in the Denver area and just experienced this exact thing with our recent storm. I called the dealership since I only have 10k miles on the truck and was alarmed by the “service transmission” light on my 2020 Rebel. The service manager I always deal with told me this is a known issue at FCA and he is unaware of any plans to address it. He said I could stop through the Express Lane and they would wiggle the manual lever or
disconnect/reconnect it at the transmission for me. Problem is, like others here, that requires a 40 min drive to the dealer. For the $$$ and the intended use of these trucks, this is a design flaw that really must be addressed. It’s simply unacceptable to tell a customer they’ll likely have to crawl under their truck or go to a dealership to mess with a manual disconnect mechanism every time they encounter significant snow.

Cven3414

Reaction score
I live in the Denver area and just experienced this exact thing with our recent storm. I called the dealership since I only have 10k miles on the truck and was alarmed by the “service transmission” light on my 2020 Rebel. The service manager I always deal with told me this is a known issue at FCA and he is unaware of any plans to address it. He said I could stop through the Express Lane and they would wiggle the manual lever or
disconnect/reconnect it at the transmission for me. Problem is, like others here, that requires a 40 min drive to the dealer. For the $$$ and the intended use of these trucks, this is a design flaw that really must be addressed. It’s simply unacceptable to tell a customer they’ll likely have to crawl under their truck or go to a dealership to mess with a manual disconnect mechanism every time they encounter significant snow.
I'm also in the Denver area and this just happened to me again 15 minutes ago. The slushy snow we got keeps getting trapped above the skid plate. This is stupid they know about it and do nothing. This is the forth time it's happened to me in the 2.5 years I've had my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread