5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheapest way to get wheels and tires?

JohnProvident

Reaction score
Are there any ways to get shells and tires a little cheaper? I’ve never bought any aftermarket wheels before so I’m not sure if there are things I’m unaware of. Besides Craigslist of course haha.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any ways to get shells and tires a little cheaper? I’ve never bought any aftermarket wheels before so I’m not sure if there are things I’m unaware of. Besides Craigslist of course haha.
My truck came with wheels and tires from the factory. :p

Other than buying someone's used stuff off marketplace, you aren't getting many deals on new stuff. Maybe search for clearance or closeout sales. Wait till Black Friday and see what pops up.

djheywood

Reaction score
A lot of people take the stock wheels and tires off as soon as they get the truck and then sell them cause they go bigger or different wheel style. I have always had good luck selling on facebook marketplace or on these forums for the take offs. That is of course assuming you are fine with stock wheels and tires. You can usually save a bit of $$$ as people are just trying to help recoup the cost of their new tires and wheels. If you are looking for a specific aftermarket wheel, then you pretty much are gonna pay hehe.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
few things.
First, skip the middlemen dealers and go straight to wheel manufacturers' websites. Method was running a sale a while back and that was some solid deals, even lower than my cost.
Second, wait for black friday.
Third, your local shops SHOULD be able to help you out if you also pay them to do the install. We always give discounts on tires and wheels (lower than MSRP) if customers do install with us.
Fourth, if you're looking for takeoffs, Facebook Marketplace and forums are good places to start

Some reputable yet affordable brands of wheels:
Methods - https://www.methodracewheels.com/collections/all
KMC - All Wheels

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I'm not a fan of the Good Year Wranglers, I got my new ones for free.

To start, I bought TRX wheels at about 8k miles and put my factory tires on 'em. I then sold my factory Rebel wheels for the same price I paid for the TRX wheels and the tire install, so TRX wheels were free.

At around 25k miles on my factory tires, I bought new Rebel wheel and tire take-offs, swapped the new tires to my TRX wheels, and my old tires went on the newly purchased Rebel wheels. I then resold the take-offs with my 25k mile used tires for the price of I bought the take-offs for. New tires for free.

I have done this with other cars I own and it's saved me from buying tires many times, but you also get stuck with factory tires.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I'm not a fan of the Good Year Wranglers, I got my new ones for free.

To start, I bought TRX wheels and put my factory tires on 'em. Sold my factory wheels for the price the TRX wheels and the tire install, so TRX wheels were free.

Then I bought new Rebel wheel and tire take-offs, and put the new tires on my TRX wheels, and vice-versa, and sold the take-offs with used tires for the price of I bought the take-offs for. Now, I did get rid of my old tires after only 25k miles, but that helped me sell them for a premium as the buyer didn't need to buy tires right away.

I have done this with other cars I own and it's saved me from buying tires many times, but you also get stuck with factory tires.
dang that was a mental gymnastic to follow the process LOL

maybe i'm just tired BUT good for you! it's hard to get "free" TRX wheels!

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, hopefully I removed the mental gymnastics and simplified how I got the wheels and tires for free. It was crazy the first time I wrote it down, so I see the gymnastics you went thru.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, hopefully I removed the mental gymnastics and simplified how I got the wheels and tires for free. It was crazy the first time I wrote it down, so I see the gymnastics you went thru.
hey at the end of the day you got free wheels.
and went through listing and selling your takeoffs so props to you!

i, for one, am too tired to deal with the lowballers and having the takeoffs taking up space so i just sold them for cheap to move them

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Discount Tire offers 0% financing and price matching. I've made several purchases through them with my Discount Tire credit card. And if you buy a wheel and tire package, they'll send them mounted and balanced. Just slap em on. I know some people look down on purchasing unnecessary stuff that way, but I have no problem with using credit at 0% as long as it's paid off in time. There is no benefit to laying out your cash when you can use someone else's at no cost to you. I've done it with DT, Harbor Freight for big purchases, and several projects through Home Depot to name a few.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Discount Tire offers 0% financing and price matching. I've made several purchases through them with my Discount Tire credit card. And if you buy a wheel and tire package, they'll send them mounted and balanced. Just slap em on. I know some people look down on purchasing unnecessary stuff that way, but I have no problem with using credit at 0% as long as it's paid off in time. There is no benefit to laying out your cash when you can use someone else's at no cost to you. I've done it with DT, Harbor Freight for big purchases, and several projects through Home Depot to name a few.
I do this with PayPal credit all the time. Actually have close to $2k on my PayPal credit account right now, all interest free. Payoff dates range anywhere from Aug through December for various items. 0% interest if paid off in 6 months for a thing over $100.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And it's people like you that I get wheels and tires from at a great price. So, thanks for helping people like me get wheels and tires for a great price!! :cool:
you're welcome!
i'm the guy that wives and girlfriends keep their men from lol
also the guy that upsets your wallets and bank accounts :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread