5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changed Dash Speakers To Kickers...WOW!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Long time troll first time posting !!! Overall great info . I have a question on this.
when you installed just the woofers from the 9630 was it still plug and play with the metro adapters ? Or did you have to mess with wiring the crossover ?
Also , can you ( or anyone) help me decide or explain if it would be worth it to go with the infinity reference
9630 and just install the woofers like you did ($249 on crutch field) vs the infinity reference 9632ix 6x9 “ 2 way ( $119 )?

My plan before reading this thread was to do nothing lol but if I can “ plug and play “ for a couple hundred bucks without adding an amp ( I know that would be real way to go about things) I figured what the hell!!! Thanks
I got my 9630 for like 135 on Amazon.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Awesome! I’ll dive a little deeper and see if I can find it. How did the install go ? Plug and play with the metra adapters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven’t received them yet. I ordered about a week ago thanks to this site lol.
Still haven’t ordered the metra adapters either lol.

Nibis

Reaction score
Long time troll first time posting !!! Overall great info . I have a question on this.
when you installed just the woofers from the 9630 was it still plug and play with the metro adapters ? Or did you have to mess with wiring the crossover ?
Also , can you ( or anyone) help me decide or explain if it would be worth it to go with the infinity reference
9630 and just install the woofers like you did ($249 on crutch field) vs the infinity reference 9632ix 6x9 “ 2 way ( $119 )?

My plan before reading this thread was to do nothing lol but if I can “ plug and play “ for a couple hundred bucks without adding an amp ( I know that would be real way to go about things) I figured what the hell!!! Thanks
Plug and play with the Metra installing the woofer only., trash the rest. and its my understanding the front door speakers only get the lows, so the infinity component woofer will perform better than a 3 way. It makes a noticeable difference. Also my understanding the rear doors get full signal, so the 3 way is what you want.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plug and play with the Metra installing the woofer only., trash the rest. and its my understanding the front door speakers only get the lows, so the infinity component woofer will perform better than a 3 way. It makes a noticeable difference. Also my understanding the rear doors get full signal, so the 3 way is what you want.
you know i was thinking the same thing.i also read dont bother changing it.but i may do like you and do it anyway!

Nibis

Reaction score
Ya it’s not that. Level 30-32 was like level 20-22 on my Dodge Durango. It’s not super low it’s not just the loud in looking for. If i can turn it to top volume and it doesn’t offend my hyper sensitive brother there is a problem.
Maybe you have a less than desirable AMP, I'd hit the dealer up, have them do side by side compare on the lot, and get you a new AMP

Nibis

Reaction score
you know i was thinking the same thing.i also read dont bother changing it.but i may do like you and do it anyway!
After I did the front 3.5's, I was thinking I really didn't need to do the doors. I already had orderd the door speakers so I went for it. I like my bass, and I'm very glad I did it. Now, I'm still waiting for the rear door speakers, I can't wait to get those installed, lol

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After I did the front 3.5's, I was thinking I really didn't need to do the doors. I already had orderd the door speakers so I went for it. I like my bass, and I'm very glad I did it. Now, I'm still waiting for the rear door speakers, I can't wait to get those installed, lol
last spring i did the front dash,last weekend i did the rears.i use 6.5.and the metra speaker clips

Nibis

Reaction score
So I finally got the rear door speakers done , and now I'm kind of regretting, the system is too bright now

Nibis

Reaction score
So if I do this and add the subs I plan to then it should even it out you think?
I'm not sure. I'm probably going to throw the stock speakers back in or look for an alternative. If it wasn't a pain, I'd try the woffers that are in the front doors.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I'm not sure. I'm probably going to throw the stock speakers back in or look for an alternative. If it wasn't a pain, I'd try the woffers that are in the front doors.
When you say bright you do mean that it increased the highs too much right?

STOKED

Reaction score
I changed out the 3 dash and all 4 doors. I used 2-way Kickers in the doors. I regret doing the front doors, it made no difference as it's just for lows, as someone here mentioned and I didn't see until now. :-/ Everything else sounds good though. It's definitely brighter, but not too much. Just had to change up the EQ to compensate.

On a side note, did anyone notice an increase in engine noise after changing the speakers? I'm assuming the system's noise cancelling calibration is thrown off by the new speakers.

Nibis

Reaction score
I changed out the 3 dash and all 4 doors. I used 2-way Kickers in the doors. I regret doing the front doors, it made no difference as it's just for lows, as someone here mentioned and I didn't see until now. :-/ Everything else sounds good though. It's definitely brighter, but not too much. Just had to change up the EQ to compensate.

On a side note, did anyone notice an increase in engine noise after changing the speakers? I'm assuming the system's noise cancelling calibration is thrown off by the new speakers.
No noise for me, you might have a polarity issue? You might want to disable your ANC? Also, the front door needs a 6x9 mid bass woofer, one member on here is doing a CDT, looks like it would work well. I did the infinity woofer from the component system.

M Rob

Reaction score
I installed the CDT Speakers yesterday ( https://www.cdtaudio.com/2ohm/subwoofers-2ohm/cl69s2.php. ) and did some sound dampening.

No issues with ANC. I checked the polarity of the stock speakers and matched it with the new speakers , interestingly enough all my stock speakers were in + phase ( outward movement of cone) , which contradicted what speaker pop app said.

This is what I used , got it on amazon. Made it very simple and took out the guess work. I wanted to make absolutely sure I was hooking it up correctly.

PAC TL-PTG2 Tone Generator and... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072LHMME?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Overall , I am pleased. Sounds has improved in quality , not much louder if any (didn’t expect for it to be since it’s still on the stock amp ). It did improve bass some ... but not enough for me , I’ll be adding some subs later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread