5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changed Dash Speakers To Kickers...WOW!

natsb

Reaction score
Discovered two new things today:

1. Changing out the center dash speaker makes everything come alive. I was a bit underwhelmed with changing out the corner dash speakers on an HK system to the Infinity 3032s but I just changed the center dash speaker today. That (along with the corners already done) makes more difference than stock to just the corner upgrade. My test drive turned into almost an hour as I just couldn't stop smiling at how amazing it sounded. If you've only done the corners, I highly recommend you upgrade the center - if you have one.
2. Before I put everything back together (ANC/polarity check) I ran the system and played with surround on/off. Much to my surprise the center dash speaker plays even with surround turned off. Based on this, I don't think turning surround off = true stereo. I think it's just another DSP mode. I didn't listen with surround off much but I think upgrading your center speaker makes non-surround sound better too.

I just replaced the third speaker, and yes it makes a real difference over just replacing the corners. Much easier than the corners too. I can't express how happy I am to hear cymbals again along with all the other high end sounds missing from the stock speakers.

Neglakayo

Reaction score
Gentlemen, let me say that I echo everything that you have already said about the remarkable sonic improvement after upgrading all three dash speakers for a very modest cost. However, I believe that in the end, the highs tend to be much better defined and the imaging is clearly superior to both the front and rear door speakers. As for the roof speakers, I really do not know what the hell they do since I never hear them anyway. My question to you all is, does it not make sense to upgrade both the front and rear door speakers as well. I thought I wanted to do that until the installer told me that he will need to bypass or disconnect the ANC in the truck. That is a deal-breaker for me. I am just not going to be messing around like that with a truck that I bought less than three months ago. Any ideas? do I really need to bypass the ANC module?

I have 2 pairs of brand new, unopened 6X9 Infinity Reference speakers that I bought for the project and no longer need. Part of me is still hesitating thus the reason I have not sold them yet. I would be interested in your opinions and most importantly what some of you have done as a general upgrade of the Alpine system. BTW I also have a spare front channel speaker that I am willing to sell for cheap if anyone needs one. Easy.

rah6887

Reaction score
Gentlemen, let me say that I echo everything that you have already said about the remarkable sonic improvement after upgrading all three dash speakers for a very modest cost. However, I believe that in the end, the highs tend to be much better defined and the imaging is clearly superior to both the front and rear door speakers. As for the roof speakers, I really do not know what the hell they do since I never hear them anyway. My question to you all is, does it not make sense to upgrade both the front and rear door speakers as well. I thought I wanted to do that until the installer told me that he will need to bypass or disconnect the ANC in the truck. That is a deal-breaker for me. I am just not going to be messing around like that with a truck that I bought less than three months ago. Any ideas? do I really need to bypass the ANC module?

I have 2 pairs of brand new, unopened 6X9 Infinity Reference speakers that I bought for the project and no longer need. Part of me is still hesitating thus the reason I have not sold them yet. I would be interested in your opinions and most importantly what some of you have done as a general upgrade of the Alpine system. BTW I also have a spare front channel speaker that I am willing to sell for cheap if anyone needs one. Easy.
Agree 100% on changing out the dash speakers, I replaced mine day 1 with JL Audio 3.5's, and added a sub and amp.
As for the ANC, I wouldn't hesitate bypassing it if you want better sound via upgrades, you can go the "plug n play" route, so it can always be put back with ease. I did and I can tell no difference in cabin noise.
As for the door speakers, in my opinion, the results will be minimal to the ears replacing them, unless you add an amp and throw at least 50w into each. My door speakers do their job complimenting the dash speakers and JL sub (500w).
If the OEM speakers were 10 years old and spent, noticable difference yes, otherwise, do not expect a major difference just replacing the door speakers, *in my opinion*

Neglakayo

Reaction score
Agree 100% on changing out the dash speakers, I replaced mine day 1 with JL Audio 3.5's, and added a sub and amp.
As for the ANC, I wouldn't hesitate bypassing it if you want better sound via upgrades, you can go the "plug n play" route, so it can always be put back with ease. I did and I can tell no difference in cabin noise.
As for the door speakers, in my opinion, the results will be minimal to the ears replacing them, unless you add an amp and throw at least 50w into each. My door speakers do their job complimenting the dash speakers and JL sub (500w).
If the OEM speakers were 10 years old and spent, noticable difference yes, otherwise, do not expect a major difference just replacing the door speakers, *in my opinion*
Thank you for this. Exactly the kind of advice/opinion that I am looking for. I did also buy an Infinity 400 watts 4 channel AMP for the new speakers that I still have. Unfortunately, I returned the amp a couple of weeks ago. Another question, can someone address the 4Ohm /2Ohm issue. The aftermarket speakers that I still have come in 4Ohms and I understand the stock door speakers are 2 Ohm. 4Ohm aftermarket speakers would result in lot less volume without an aftermarket amp. Any thoughts...

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You don't HAVE to bypass the ANC but it may be beneficial. Many members report a droning sound after upgrading speakers. Bypassing the ANC does away with that. There is a ANC bypass cable you can buy online for about $30 that way you aren't clipping any factory wiring. You unplug the cable from the amp, plug it into the bypass cable, and then the other end of the bypass cable goes back in to the amp. Alot of people here will tell you they haven't missed the ANC at all after doing away with it.

FailGrenade

Reaction score
Ok, stupid question from me but how do you know what speaker system your truck has? Mine has no markings anywhere about Harmon or Alpine. I know it's the 6 speaker set up but that's all.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ok, stupid question from me but how do you know what speaker system your truck has? Mine has no markings anywhere about Harmon or Alpine. I know it's the 6 speaker set up but that's all.
yours is the base system and the speakers you have are generic and very low power.

barr0208

Reaction score
Low power as in ohms or...? The ones I have a butt ton of bass. Changing the windshield ones would do what? Louder? Clearer sound?
low power meaning watts rms the dash speakers will help improve the sound but more than likely will not be as loud due to the better speakers require more power (watts) to give you the same loudness.

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
low power meaning watts rms the dash speakers will help improve the sound but more than likely will not be as loud due to the better speakers require more power (watts) to give you the same loudness.

Mine is a lot louder than stock after speaker replacement. I have base 6 speaker. It blows away a stock alpine system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just replaced the third speaker, and yes it makes a real difference over just replacing the corners. Much easier than the corners too. I can't express how happy I am to hear cymbals again along with all the other high end sounds missing from the stock speakers.
I agree 110%!

FailGrenade

Reaction score
Gonna be looking at doing this to mine, but curious is anyone has looked into adding in the middle speaker if they didn't have it?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but for those that changed the 3.5" speakers in headliner did it make as noticeable difference as the dash speakers made?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but for those that changed the 3.5" speakers in headliner did it make as noticeable difference as the dash speakers made?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
It will be very noticeable for anybody sitting in the rear. In the driver seat I can’t tell a difference. Any time I have somebody in the back they comment on it, even the wife and kids.

TheMopars

Reaction score
Any one have a single Infinity Ref 3022cfx left over they want to trade for a brand new in the box K&N drop in filter?

PM if you do and you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread