5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAUGHT: 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel TRX Testing On The Streets:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Interesting TFL has an "inside source" stating the rear 8 lugs are being used due to a supplier issue and the production truck will have all 6 lugs, while Jared sources indicated production will be all 8 lugs. If the difference is currently due to a supplier issue, i'm inclined to believe it is may be the front that currently cant be supplied as an 8 lug, b/c we already source the rear dana 60 with 6 lugs (max tow package). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

TFL source also said electronically adjustable bypass shocks all around - which is no huge surprise. So if Ram is going with King shocks, could it be similar to this King kit for the raptor:
http://www.kingshocks.com/category/king-products/new-products/

Ford using the supercharged 5.2 makes a lot more sense than the rumors of them using the new 7.3. I always thought those rumors were ridiculous

bravo1

Reaction score
Yea I saw that too.Yes we are getting closer now to a final production ready truck.I sure you will be seeing this truck pre-running this summer out West...Just think what a advertising slogan on TV ,"RAM Rebel TRX fastest off-road production truck available on the market today."Capable of running at speeds of 100 mph."If you remember Jim Morrison ask his Ram engineer's to build such a truck.What many of the competition thought was just a ploy or a gimmick, has know become there worst nightmare.A full production factory pre-runner truck, with steel fenders and factory capable clearance to run 37"inch tire's, across open desert terrain at over 100 mph and never tired....Yes my friends Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram is back and in such a really mean good way, must thank myself at least Sergio for making so much of this to happen for his staff.That 2018 FCA annual share holder meeting in Balocco,Italy there must have been shooting star's, for after looking at the 5 year plan and then the board voted for the green light for the Rebel TRX..The star's have aligned we have are Hellcat,are Demon,are Redeye,Jeep TrailHawk and now are Rebel TRX.SRT is gonna make along with RAM engineering one badass truck...

Last edited:

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Well I'm ready to jump ship back to Ram. I like my Raptor, it's been a great truck overall but it does sound weak. It does drive well and it feels light for a truck. The transmission shifts good and it's pretty quick for what it is The interior was fine for me, until the Gen V 1500 came out lol. MSRP on my '17 was $66K and it's pretty well loaded. Imo the ceiling that I'd pay for both the next Raptor and the TRX is about $75K.

Mopar seems to be the only manufacturer that's making what the people want. Nobody was shouting for Ford to make a Raptor with an EcoBoost in it, but if you wanted a new Raptor then that's what came in it. Well now there looks to be another choice and I think that will force Ford's hand.

bravo1

Reaction score
Hi Randy have you off-roaded your truck really hardcore to see how really good the engineering is or did you do any rock climbing like a Moab experience.Also Randy Mopar is CDJR parts, and accessories division.Ram is a separate division...It's OK Randy once the ChryslerDodgeJeepRam mind meld is completed you will talk like all the other Ford owners that have come out of the darkness and into the light... :)

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Hi Randy have you off-roaded your truck really hardcore to see how really good the engineering is or did you do any rock climbing like a Moab experience.Also Randy Mopar is CDJR parts, and accessories division.Ram is a separate division...It's OK Randy once the ChryslerDodgeJeepRam mind meld is completed you will talk like all the other Ford owners that have come out of the darkness and into the light... :)

Settle down.... ;) I've had a Ram SRT-10, Challenger SRT8, bought my wife a Durango R/T and last had a '12 Ram 1500 Sport. They're all Mopar in my book.(y)

bravo1

Reaction score
I too have had Dodge,Ram products all my life as well.Yea Mopar still is parts and accessories.Have you ever off-road your Ford Raptor or rock climb just interested to see how this 3.5L TT 10 speed...works..

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Yes the truck works great but the use of it on tight trails is limited. Not like my old D90. Much better for high desert runs. The 10 spd is awesome but I don't think in reality it's any better than the 8 spd in the Rams. The 3.5 does its job well, plenty of grunt. Of course we've all heard that the sounds sucks though.

bravo1

Reaction score
So we see from Robert's report from Motor1 we will see a trigger shifter similar to the 2016 Rebel TRX prototype showed at the Texas State Fair might make production.I was wondering that previous spy shots shown show no additional cooling requirements were need.Now we see a hood intake system will be needed for the additional air needed for the 707hp 6.2L SC Demon/Hellcat motor.Wow a 10 speed from ZF interesting current only a 9 speed is offered from ZF and it is a trans- mounted transmission.So this will be a complete new design.Great news from Motor1.I just hope I can run 37 inch tire...Oh Happy Days....:)

Vegas_Sirk

Reaction score
You guys see this today?

I hope the rumor about the Bilstein shocks is not right. Would be a disappointment to see Bilsteins instead of Kings.

Exactly. That's the first i'd heard of someone saying the TRX was going to be 2500 based, or that the frame was from a 2500. I know there were the 2 4th gen modified 2500s pictured in a lot that was in the allpar thread - maybe that or the 8 lugs drove that assumption.

FCA will have all the bases nicely covered. All at the top of their respective segments

2500 = Powerwagon
1500 = upcoming TRX (with Rebel as a current, nice alternative)
Midsize = Gladiator Rubicon

One of the guys I talk with that works at Jeep on the Gladiator forums said they are testing possible Raptor Ranger configurations in the Gladiator. Mentioned that the Hemi wont fit but possible turbo 6.

I was always told raptors sell above MSRP. No way i'd expect loaded under 80k. Doesn't a loaded trackhawk creep into the triple digits? But i guess SUV world premium Jeep can be compared against very expensive cadillacs, porsche, etc while TRX will only have Raptor and they are a league of there own. Price will be interesting for sure

Yea on the Raptor forums most guys are getting them 2-4K below MSRP all configs and even some people are getting them below invoice.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Red Rider this looks like a Ram 2500 8 lug truck, with a gas engine, with some either OEM rims or AEV testing a 2019 Ram 2500 with AEV parts....You know of course AEV has a design office in a Mich.I would expect much more for FCA for the up-coming Ram Rebel TRX.Sticking 3/4 ton axles and a HellCat motor on a 2500 frame assembly and mounting a 1500 cab, and bed would just cheapen and not to mention insult a really great design from Ram engineering who worked on the 2016 Rebel TRX.This looks like a Mopar/AEV Outdoorsmen package for a Ram 2500,gas truck

No. This wheelbase and configuration doesn't exist in 2500 (crew cab 5'7" bed

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I'm ready to jump ship back to Ram. I like my Raptor, it's been a great truck overall but it does sound weak. It does drive well and it feels light for a truck. The transmission shifts good and it's pretty quick for what it is The interior was fine for me, until the Gen V 1500 came out lol. MSRP on my '17 was $66K and it's pretty well loaded. Imo the ceiling that I'd pay for both the next Raptor and the TRX is about $75K.

Mopar seems to be the only manufacturer that's making what the people want. Nobody was shouting for Ford to make a Raptor with an EcoBoost in it, but if you wanted a new Raptor then that's what came in it. Well now there looks to be another choice and I think that will force Ford's hand.

The Ford faithful are an extremely loud and very loyal bunch.
You might be surprised by how many fanboys that engine has!

I think you're spot on though, I believe if consumers are offered a V8 and a V6 of equivalent specs, they will opt for the V8 more times than not for a truck like this.
Ford guys seem to think that the eco-toot is the best engine on the market, it's simply the best engine FORD will offer.
A TRX with a hellcat powerplant would have guys saying, "Eco-who?"

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
The Ford faithful are an extremely loud and very loyal bunch.
You might be surprised by how many fanboys that engine has!

I think you're spot on though, I believe if consumers are offered a V8 and a V6 of equivalent specs, they will opt for the V8 more times than not for a truck like this.
Ford guys seem to think that the eco-toot is the best engine on the market, it's simply the best engine FORD will offer.
A TRX with a hellcat powerplant would have guys saying, "Eco-who?"

If the choice is given between the V6 and the V8 I still think that the engine with the best performance wins the sales battle. That is played out with the current F-150 as the EcoBoost 3.5 has had the sales lead over the 5.0 for the last few years.

I was swayed for a bit thinking about a Rebel 12 or a new Power Wagon but with this new info I think I'll be sitting tight for the next year. The trick is to unload my Raptor before resale takes too much of a hit as news of the new Raptor and TRX trickles out. That may already be happening.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the choice is given between the V6 and the V8 I still think that the engine with the best performance wins the sales battle. That is played out with the current F-150 as the EcoBoost 3.5 has had the sales lead over the 5.0 for the last few years.

I was swayed for a bit thinking about a Rebel 12 or a new Power Wagon but with this new info I think I'll be sitting tight for the next year. The trick is to unload my Raptor before resale takes too much of a hit as news of the new Raptor and TRX trickles out. That may already be happening.

It's also pricing - I believe the take rate was highest on the 2.7L ecoboost, I believe it costs extra to get into a 5.0L V8 or a 3.5L V6 TT.
Again, that 3.5 engine is their high performance engine.
In a true "apples to apples" comparison, if they were selling the exact same truck, with say, Chevy/GMC's 6.2L V8 with comparable specs?
(Again, Ford is very capable of making a V8 that's comparable to the turbo V6 3.5, they have the know-how and manufacturing capability.)
With the actual costs, vs pricing the 2.7 better for EPA CAFE reasons?
I would be realllly interested to see THAT breakdown.

I personally believe many Ford truck buyers are in them because they're very loyal to the brand.
Many of them, not all of them!

The Raptor tends to hold resale pretty damn well! If you ask me?
And I'm just guessing on this - I think their resale might fall, might, when/if the V8 version is confirmed.
The TRX might not help, but I think it will be a case of, say, slowing sales of the corvette C7, knowing the Mid engine C8 is coming out.

Even if the resale falls, you'll still get a bunch of money back, and be driving a truck you like a lot every day until you do!

bravo1

Reaction score
Vegas_Sirk you be wrong about the 5.7L,6.4L up-fitting into the JL series Jeep Wrangler already companies are doing it.Remember also from the cab forward is a JL with frame modifications...Also Jackalope is one company,but depending on your location there is a west and east coast as well.I have seen there 6.4L conversion into a Ram 1500 pickup...Quite a very capable offroader...

Attachments

• Jeep-Hemi-Conversion-Weatherford-TX.jpg
    Jeep-Hemi-Conversion-Weatherford-TX.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 17

bravo1

Reaction score
Of course you won't need that for the Rebel TRX.Any one seen the new Jeep Pickup's headed for the Jeep Easter Moab event.Nice HellCrate SC 6.4L Hell Cat motor installation's by Jeep engineering in the FlatBill,interesting the Flatbill was fitted with DANA 60,and a DynaTrac Pro 80 and the Jeep full-size pickup based off the Jeep M715.Oh Happy Days at FCA.

CMags

Reaction score
Vegas_Sirk you be wrong about the 5.7L,6.4L up-fitting into the JL series Jeep Wrangler already companies are doing it.

Fitting it in and being able to manage the heat load and stress effectively enough to warranty the vehicle for the masses are two different things. There are quite a few articles out there detailing the hoops they had to jump through to be able to get the target tow rating on the V6, and all had to do with packaging constraints, approach angle mandates, etc.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score

Ford cleverly led people to that. They crammed the eco boost down people’s throats. Long before demand was there, dealers were encouraged by ford to make the majority of their truck inventory ecoboost. They were actively discouraged from ordering the 5.0.

This was said best on a car blog. The ecoboost situation is similar to communist regimes. When things suck, the regime keeps telling you they don’t suck. They get a few key endorsers to back it and as time goes on people start saying, well maybe it doesn’t suck. Eventually they’ve been tricked into liking it. George Orwell’s book animal farm covers this concept well. The issue here is true choice.

Users who are viewing this thread