5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay Doesn’t Work if Too Hot

dtemby

Reaction score
Did it last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Dmalone --

Sorry for the late reply. I guess I don't have notifications set correctly. Anyway, it has lasted through the rest of this summer, but just the other day I think it happened again - just a little over 2 months after it was replaced. To be fair, I haven't pulled out that USB port tester yet, but I have low confidence in the problem being fixed long term. I think it's very likely that I will be replacing this every so often during the lifetime of the truck. Once I took the pictures into the dealer, it was a slam dunk and the item was replaced under warranty, but I'm now outside of the warranty.

I really love the truck, but there's just a handful of things I wish were different. This is one of them. I completely agree with you that replacing this part is a short-term solve. You could get 6 months of reduced aggravation or 2 years.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Bump it up. Temps hit over 100 in Phoenix this last week or so and CarPlay is now garbage again. Just called dealership to see if they ever got a permanent fix and he said there might be some software updates that fix it. Taking it on on the 8th.

GhostDrummer

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel. I have the same issue with car play in any outside temp over 95*. I use sun shades too. It doesn’t matter. The past couple of days it’s been over 100* and the nav screen won’t come on until the inside of the truck cools down after 15-20 minutes of the ac on full, but I still can’t connect my phone at all. I have to switch to Bluetooth. I bought this truck with 66 miles on it, It’s currently at 41200 miles and this is the only issue I’m having. It’s extremely frustrating. Fortunately I only have the 8.4 screen so I can still operate the ac. I’ve asked my local dealer about it and all I’m told is they don’t know what to do because it doesn’t happen when I take it there.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel. I have the same issue with car play in any outside temp over 95*. I use sun shades too. It doesn’t matter. The past couple of days it’s been over 100* and the nav screen won’t come on until the inside of the truck cools down after 15-20 minutes of the ac on full, but I still can’t connect my phone at all. I have to switch to Bluetooth. I bought this truck with 66 miles on it, It’s currently at 41200 miles and this is the only issue I’m having. It’s extremely frustrating. Fortunately I only have the 8.4 screen so I can still operate the ac. I’ve asked my local dealer about it and all I’m told is they don’t know what to do because it doesn’t happen when I take it there.
That’s what I’m afraid of. They will charge me to look at it and won’t find any issues.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score

I live in Phoenix so I left my truck there in the morning and told them to leave it out in the sun and go turn it on around noon. They documented the problem but still couldn’t fix it. The Nav screen is an even worse problem. You could try pulling the fuses for the head unit and the media hub after starting the truck to see if they come back right away. That worked for me. I plan on just wiring up a switch to the fuse so I can cut the power if the issue happens without pulling the panel. I just haven’t got around to it yet.

There is another thread I started this summer documenting my woes. Fuses should be F43 for the media hub and F44 for the head unit.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I live in Phoenix so I left my truck there in the morning and told them to leave it out in the sun and go turn it on around noon. They documented the problem but still couldn’t fix it. The Nav screen is an even worse problem. You could try pulling the fuses for the head unit and the media hub after starting the truck to see if they come back right away. That worked for me. I plan on just wiring up a switch to the fuse so I can cut the power if the issue happens without pulling the panel. I just haven’t got around to it yet.

There is another thread I started this summer documenting my woes. Fuses should be F43 for the media hub and F44 for the head unit.

Looking forward to see how you accomplish this. 🤞🏻

mhb1638

Reaction score

Hey fellow Phoenix ram! I too have the exact same issues. Except I have an Android. Its the USB ports. My 2021 did it, my 2022 does it, and my 2021 Scat does it. Its the heat here. These trucks and all the electronics just don't play well with Arizona heat. Mine will return after I get the interior cooled down though.

godram

Reaction score
Thanks Bandit, have you sought out any solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also in Vegas and same issues. Too hot, and it doesn’t work. Takes hours to work again sometimes. Cannot replicate problem at dealer but did take videos, going to try and get hub replaced. But I feel it’s an engineering flaw. Just like you can’t use iPhone’s under certain temp, I assume that hub’s module has like a 120ish max temp.
Mine is granite with black interior.

godram

Reaction score
Hey fellow Phoenix ram! I too have the exact same issues. Except I have an Android. Its the USB ports. My 2021 did it, my 2022 does it, and my 2021 Scat does it. Its the heat here. These trucks and all the electronics just don't play well with Arizona heat. Mine will return after I get the interior cooled down though.
Same in Vegas. Going to see if dealer will change hub, but pretty sure it will have same issue in vegas summers.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea it has been confirmed that changing the usb media hub to the newest revision will not solve the issue. FCA had the same thermal disconnect in all of them.

nbase

Reaction score
Mine is not heat related, it's been in the 30's here in Michigan, and my Carplay is out again, going on two weeks now, but the ports do charge my phone. Dealer is replacing the hub but I'm not confident this is a long term fix.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is not heat related, it's been in the 30's here in Michigan, and my Carplay is out again, going on two weeks now, but the ports do charge my phone. Dealer is replacing the hub but I'm not confident this is a long term fix.
I tend to agree with that. After roughly 4 years of (mostly) flawless performance, using my CPLAY2air adapter 95% of the time, my media hub appears to have suffered the same fate as others.

Has anyone swapped out the ($31) hub on their own?

In my case, everything works perfectly (corded or wireless CarPlay) for roughly 10 minutes after the truck is started. Then the screen goes black for a bit, and then the CarPlay icon disappears entirely and is unable to be revived without shutting down the truck and letting things 'cool down'.

Like you, I don't think my issue is weather-related. We live in Fort Worth, and we have some pretty toasty summers...but this hasn't triggered issues. Over the past year, I've started doing drives between Texas and Michigan more regularly, and this has meant running CarPlay (Google Maps + Audible) for hours on end. This seems to have aggravated the problem...even when driving in winter weather.

nbase

Reaction score
So the dealer replaced the hub, Carplay is working again, should be interesting to see how long that lasts. The service writer did suggest to maybe unlink the phone from bluetooth, so it's not trying to connect by bluetooth, then with the cable when I plug it in. To me that really sounds software related, who knows.

jperry92102

Reaction score
So, I only have issues with CarPlay when my truck is cold (32 or below outside). When plugging the phone in, it will show that it’s charging, but then act like it’s unplugged. It will do this charging/not charging cycle until the inside of the truck warms up. Once it’s warmed up, I have no issues. It almost seems like maybe the wiring harness connection isn’t very good and when the harness is cold/rigid, the connection is intermittent. I say that I think it’s the harness to the radio because it doesn’t matter which USB input I use in the truck, it does the same thing when it’s really cold. Anyone having this same issue?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
have you tried a different usb cable, or the usb c port? Also see what it does with the center console or rear usb.

Bigbegg

Reaction score
Any more news or solutions for this? I live in Northern BC Canada and I’ve had the same issue. It’s obviously not near as hot as Vegas or Phoenix but when parked outside in the sun it won’t work, during winter and it’s cold outside it will have the same issue. I had the whole head unit replaced on warranty once but now it’s happening again. So frustrating!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not really. Try changing the usb hub. That’s the only things I’ve heard of.

Users who are viewing this thread