5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap/topper options

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the best picture I've seen yet. I've only been able to get these from ARE
16052-1491182d4afefc240c1eac3127acd9f0.jpg

This is the one I recall seeing...

grimace

Reaction score
What was the price quoted? I'm going to head to the dealer tomorrow to inquire about this exact top.

Also interested in the pricing, going to head to the dealer tomorrow to see if I can place an order. Still on the fence if I want an all glass vs the window because it removes a lot of visibility on the sides.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably $3k (and likely a smidge more)... caps aren't cheap... unless you buy the low end model or buy whatever fits at the cap shop.

Last edited:

Gearwhine

Reaction score
I've been debating on a new topper for some time, and waiting patiently. I had a ARE CX for 8+ years on my 04 ram, that I've been very happy with. I have been speaking to my local ARE dealer who has been very awesome....so sticking with another ARE through them. The Revo and Evolve have just stopped production per their discussion with ARE yesterday. The failure rate of the rear windows was something like 6% (not sure what constituted as a failure in this case)...and that was enough for ARE to say no to selling them at the moment. There is no new timeline on when they will be released to consumer.

They did mention the ARE Z "2" will be released at some point, which will allow for framed side windows and windoors on the same mold and rear windows the Z has always had. That is now becoming very enticing to pre-order as I really want the windoors this time around.

Just thought I'd send out an FYI from what I have heard...nothing is confirmed by me...just passing on.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like ARE and I liked the Z on my old truck, but this is starting to get old...

They've already sold the CX for Ford/Chevy/Toyota... is this only for the RAMs?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Currently only available for the 2015 and newer Ford F-150 pickup with the 5.5 foot or 6.5 foot bed. Later in 2019 Aero X should become available for Ram, Silverado, Ford Super Duty, Ranger, Colorado, Titan, Tacoma, and Tundra.

So... these are supposed to be released in 2019 for Ram etc

Picture+001.jpg

Gearwhine

Reaction score
I like ARE and I liked the Z on my old truck, but this is starting to get old...

They've already sold the CX for Ford/Chevy/Toyota... is this only for the RAMs?

I would presume it's only for Rams considering these toppers have been out for those 3 for around a year now.

slimchance

Reaction score
wife's sport and my black .. both with the Leer ... have used the Leer caps for over 10 yrs now and never had a problem

Attachments

• 20190208_085702_resized.jpg
    20190208_085702_resized.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 363
  • 20190208_085521_resized.jpg
    20190208_085521_resized.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 359

Gearwhine

Reaction score
wife's sport and my black .. both with the Leer ... have used the Leer caps for over 10 yrs now and never had a problem

That rear framed window actually looks much better than I anticipated! Looks like they did a slight revamp from the previous ones I've seen. Might have to look at Leer again.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That rear framed window actually looks much better than I anticipated! Looks like they did a slight revamp from the previous ones I've seen. Might have to look at Leer again.

There's a pic of an XQ (?) a couple of pages back... I don't think it's as nice looking as the CX, but that's my opinion (and worth every single electron on which it is printed). I don't *need* a topper yet, so I can wait a bit longer.

Gearwhine

Reaction score
There's a pic of an XQ (?) a couple of pages back... I don't think it's as nice looking as the CX, but that's my opinion (and worth every single electron on which it is printed). I don't *need* a topper yet, so I can wait a bit longer.

Ha! Definitely worth every electron. I have been a big fan of the framed rear window for durability. I have backed them up into my garage so many times. A few whacks with a hammer, and they're aligned and working again. The replacement costs is also wayyyyy cheaper than a frameless. As much as I love my truck, I still do dumb things that make me factor that stuff in.

After seeing the posts of the 100R above, I really like how they integrated the framed window better than ARE has. I am going to go to my local leer dealer tomorrow and check them out. Already got quoted to my ideal at ~2200 for the R, and an extra $730 for the RCC, which increased weight capacity to 500 lbs. That's a huge bump...so much that they said the Snugtop Rebel (which is now released for the 6' 4" bed per the dealer) with the sportsman package would be just about the same price. The tiny non-recessed side windows of the rebel just irk me though...and will likely keep me away.

slimchance

Reaction score
we had the side slider and the side tilt open, they each had the front sliding window and we never opened the front window, never opened the sliders (might as well leave the cap unlocked) and only opened the tilt windows once, so, this time got the basic side slider, no front opening and what i think is a more secure rear window with the double latches ... painted and installed $1600 ... when we are going to our CAS shoots we have upwards of $15,000 of guns and gear that has to be secure

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... when we are going to our CAS shoots we have upwards of $15,000 of guns and gear that has to be secure

Then I hope you have something like a TruckVault in your bed because any cheesy lock on a cap isn't going to stop anyone who wants to get in...

Users who are viewing this thread