5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap/topper options

louz

Reaction score
Having my LEER 100XQ installed Thurs . Tired of waiting on AFE. AFE kept saying Sept...then Oct, then …. etc. Leer said end of Dec. DONE...…

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having my LEER 100XQ installed Thurs . Tired of waiting on AFE. AFE kept saying Sept...then Oct, then …. etc. Leer said end of Dec. DONE...…

Enjoy your LEER!
I'd rather wait for the ARE... I'm not really in a huge rush....

louz

Reaction score
Just got my Leer XQ installed on my cc Rebel. I had AFE z-series on my 2015. The LEER if FAR superior!

1. The cap contours OVER the bed rail as opposed to on the rails like the AFE.
2. The windows are dark like the rear windows of the truck and just look better that the AFE.
3. The lock/latch is weather proof. My AFE always froze up when it snowed.
4. The brake light is moulded into the cap top like the Truck rear lights. The AFE was a fixture on the inside of the rear glass.
5. There is an interior dome light which they wired to my bed lights. Really bright in there !
6. Front glass is removable so you can clean the truck rear glass.

The LEER was $350 more then my quoted AFE z-series. IMO no brainer !! VERY happy I went LEER :)

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my Leer XQ installed on my cc Rebel. I had AFE z-series on my 2015. The LEER if FAR superior!

1. The cap contours OVER the bed rail as opposed to on the rails like the AFE.
2. The windows are dark like the rear windows of the truck and just look better that the AFE.
3. The lock/latch is weather proof. My AFE always froze up when it snowed.
4. The brake light is moulded into the cap top like the Truck rear lights. The AFE was a fixture on the inside of the rear glass.
5. There is an interior dome light which they wired to my bed lights. Really bright in there !
6. Front glass is removable so you can clean the truck rear glass.

The LEER was $350 more then my quoted AFE z-series. IMO no brainer !! VERY happy I went LEER :)

If you insist on arguing...

I find the hinges on the LEER to sub-standard... I've seen screen doors with better hinges
Attachment points through the glass (vs them being bonded) take away from the clean look
I generally find the fit/finish to be not as good as ARE

The CX Revo goes over the rail
The windows are tinted on the CX REVO
Never had an issue with latch on my Z-Series I purchased in 2006 (lived in Chicago for 2 years)
The brake light was molded into the cap on the Z-Series I purchased in 2006
I had an interior light on the Z-Series I purchased in 2006
The front glass folded down on the Z-Series I purchased in 2006

No idea why your 2015 Z-Series seems so different from my 2006 Z-Series I had on my Dakota.

This is a pic of the ARE REVO cap @SEMA

1545941341099.png

AMarsh

Reaction score
If you insist on arguing...

I find the hinges on the LEER to sub-standard... I've seen screen doors with better hinges
Attachment points through the glass (vs them being bonded) take away from the clean look
I generally find the fit/finish to be not as good as ARE

The CX Revo goes over the rail
The windows are tinted on the CX REVO
Never had an issue with latch on my Z-Series I purchased in 2006 (lived in Chicago for 2 years)
The brake light was molded into the cap on the Z-Series I purchased in 2006
I had an interior light on the Z-Series I purchased in 2006
The front glass folded down on the Z-Series I purchased in 2006

No idea why your 2015 Z-Series seems so different from my 2006 Z-Series I had on my Dakota.

This is a pic of the ARE REVO cap @SEMA

View attachment 11815

Any full side shots?

ok4stringer

Reaction score
I bought the flame red Big Horn because I had a 13 Express with an ARE cap for my DJ business. It fits, kinda...

clarkehaven

Reaction score
I just Got my leer topper installed yesterday and love it, I think I'm one of the first to get it, I pre-ordered about 2 months ago. This is the top of the line 100XQ with Leer Locker. Also installed BedRug and Undercover swing cases. Topper has 3 LED light strips in the ceiling with gas powered switch on glass door, Cap locks and unlocks with truck remote, front window removes so window glass on cab and outside cap glass can be cleaned. Total cost with Swing cases around $4800.00

That looks awesome....I have the same truck in Patriot Blue.

I have been waiting on an ARE CX REVO but I feel like I have been fed a bunch of crap to keep me on the hook by ARE.....who knows when it will REALLY be available...…. So I am looking at ordering a LEER this weekend. One question about the 100XQ model is how is the ventilation with that type of window....in case I need to haul my dog around.

I do believe that the XQ is by far the best looking top on the Limited.... the models with the slider windows don't match the limited w/ the chrome window trim

louz

Reaction score
That looks awesome....I have the same truck in Patriot Blue.

I have been waiting on an ARE CX REVO but I feel like I have been fed a bunch of crap to keep me on the hook by ARE.....who knows when it will REALLY be available...…. So I am looking at ordering a LEER this weekend. One question about the 100XQ model is how is the ventilation with that type of window....in case I need to haul my dog around.

I do believe that the XQ is by far the best looking top on the Limited.... the models with the slider windows don't match the limited w/ the chrome window trim

My 2019 LEER QX is far superior than my 2015 AFR Z-series. Keep in mind the 2019 AFE Z Series does not exist !

Rod Knock

Reaction score
The ARE Revo series should be available for order sometime next month is what I was told from 2 different re sellers. I'm holding out until they are available.

clarkehaven

Reaction score
The ARE Revo series should be available for order sometime next month is what I was told from 2 different re sellers. I'm holding out until they are available.

I ve been told that "next month" line for 3 months....the excuse now is the supplier for the rear window

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ve been told that "next month" line for 3 months....the excuse now is the supplier for the rear window

Not making excuses for them, but you have to admit, that back window is probably the most complicated bit of the whole thing. It isn't flat with a piece of plastic at the bottom like the others...

Samcpatterson

Reaction score
I just Got my leer topper installed yesterday and love it, I think I'm one of the first to get it, I pre-ordered about 2 months ago. This is the top of the line 100XQ with Leer Locker. Also installed BedRug and Undercover swing cases. Topper has 3 LED light strips in the ceiling with gas powered switch on glass door, Cap locks and unlocks with truck remote, front window removes so window glass on cab and outside cap glass can be cleaned. Total cost with Swing cases around $4800.00

Very, very nice----thanks for sharing!

Samcpatterson

Reaction score
I just got a quote from a local dealer here in West Palm Beach on A.R.E. brand topper, custom built 6 to 7 week lead time, I have the 2019 Ram 1500 Crew 76" bed:
V Series Truck Cap: $1670.00
Trim Optio n: Painted Trim Edge: factory no charge option
Interior Carpet: Dark Gray Headliner: $140.00
Interior Clothes Rod: $30.00 each
Front Window: Aluminum Framed Tilt-Down Sliding Window: $110.00
Light Option: 12V LED Dome Light & Dual Rope Lights with prop switch: $275.00 installed
Side Window: Outdoorsman Vented Windoor: $190.00 per side
Rear Door: Aluminum Framed Single T Door: standard rear door
Driver Side Toolbox Divider: Driver Side Toolbox Divider 2C: $340.00
Passenger Side Toolbox Divider: Passenger Side Toolbox Divider 3C: $250.00
Ladder rack tracks only. These are required to do the tool boxes: $190.00
Bedrug Option: Yes: $648.00 installed.

Hey T, I'm here in WPB area, 6.4 bed too, white crew---- have you purchased the topper yet, installed? Where did order yours thru? Sam Debating full cap vs hard over--- concerned about the look. From what I see on the thread, they look great on the RAM

WRH

Reaction score
Good news!!! The ARE MX series is now available! I just ordered mine this morning. WOOHOO!!!

AMarsh

Reaction score
Good news!!! The ARE MX series is now available! I just ordered mine this morning. WOOHOO!!!

Awesome! What is the turnaround time they gave you? Can't wait to see pics

capecodcaper

Reaction score

But whats the cost? haha

I'm hoping more come out soon. I really want to keep it in the 1000-1400 range, otherwise I would probably just go tonneau.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/