5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap/topper options

Pcustoms

Reaction score
I got that answer too from a local dealer. Then I called the Factory Outlet and talked to Marlin.
It was installed on the 2021 CC w/6-4 bed in Dec of 2020. 14 days after I took delivery of the
truck from the RAM Dealer.

Malodave
How's it fit to the bed up towards the cab, nice and tight on the rails?

MH1500

Reaction score
Finished installing some lights in the new topper tonight. The cheapo factory dome light was basically useless, and I didn't want to pay for the expensive options to add a led strip from the factory. I put in 2x 24" light strips/bars from SuperBrightLED's and 4x little 2.5" red accent lights with a 3-way on-off-on switch to pick between white or red and a gas prop switch to turn them on when the hatch opens. I wanted red for night coyote hunting and times I didn't need all the bright white light, I think those little strips put just about the right amount of light.

YtXRc36.jpg

swWPQeq.jpg

3D printed a switch housing
mP5vQgL.jpg

And 3D printed mounts for the white LED's that just velcro to the roof
xRtA2OZh.jpg

eJMZKUuh.jpg

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finished installing some lights in the new topper tonight. The cheapo factory dome light was basically useless, and I didn't want to pay for the expensive options to add a led strip from the factory. I put in 2x 24" light strips/bars from SuperBrightLED's and 4x little 2.5" red accent lights with a 3-way on-off-on switch to pick between white or red and a gas prop switch to turn them on when the hatch opens. I wanted red for night coyote hunting and times I didn't need all the bright white light, I think those little strips put just about the right amount of light.

YtXRc36.jpg

swWPQeq.jpg

mP5vQgL.jpg

xRtA2OZh.jpg

eJMZKUuh.jpg

You could add a PWM Dimmer Switch to dim the White lights too. This is what I purchased:

Malodave

Troutbeck27

Reaction score
Anyone have a ARE CX Evolve with the Yakima Jet Stream rack? I ordered my cap back in August, arrived in January. It didn't have the Jet Stream rack installed although I ordered and paid for it. I have been getting the run around from the dealer saying it is ARE's fault.

I am thinking of ordering a new rack through REI and demanding my money back from the dealer but I need the part numbers.

Anyone willing to help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Pcustoms

Reaction score
Anyone have a ARE CX Evolve with the Yakima Jet Stream rack? I ordered my cap back in August, arrived in January. It didn't have the Jet Stream rack installed although I ordered and paid for it. I have been getting the run around from the dealer saying it is ARE's fault.

I am thinking of ordering a new rack through REI and demanding my money back from the dealer but I need the part numbers.

Anyone willing to help me out?

Thanks in advance.
Can't help on the rack (bought mine w/o tracks), but what was the lead time for the cap when you ordered?

Troutbeck27

Reaction score
I order my cap back on 8/21/21 and had it installed 1/8/22. The cap arrived with chipped paint, random hole drilled in the aluminum framing and without the Yakima Jet Stream rack that I placed on my original order, they told me it was on back order A week later I had them ship it back to ARE to fix the flaws. and told them to make sure the rack got installe dthis time. The cap arrived back at the dealer last week.

I asked them if the rack was installed this time and they said "No". So basically from my original order on 8/21 until now it has been 6 months.

I live an 1 1/2 hours away from the place I ordered it from and they didn't even tell me the rack was not on it when I arrived to have it installed on 1/8/22. Found out when I picked my truck up after the initial install, I was like "Where is the rack?"

Pcustoms

Reaction score
I order my cap back on 8/21/21 and had it installed 1/8/22. The cap arrived with chipped paint, random hole drilled in the aluminum framing and without the Yakima Jet Stream rack that I placed on my original order, they told me it was on back order A week later I had them ship it back to ARE to fix the flaws. and told them to make sure the rack got installe dthis time. The cap arrived back at the dealer last week.

I asked them if the rack was installed this time and they said "No". So basically from my original order on 8/21 until now it has been 6 months.

I live an 1 1/2 hours away from the place I ordered it from and they didn't even tell me the rack was not on it when I arrived to have it installed on 1/8/22. Found out when I picked my truck up after the initial install, I was like "Where is the rack?"
Not reassuring at all....

I ordered my MX a few weeks ago, they told me 4/8 it would be ready. I'm also about 2hrs from the dealer.

SurfRebel20

Reaction score

Ordered an a.r.e in October of 2021. Took about 10 weeks they installed it in December without the yakima rack I ordered. I'm still waiting for the rack. It's been about 6 months. The dealer says yakima is on a huge backorder and that they have 47 yakima racks on backorder he's waiting on.

Pcustoms

Reaction score
Not reassuring at all....

I ordered my MX a few weeks ago, they told me 4/8 it would be ready. I'm also about 2hrs from the dealer.
Well date is pushed to shipping on 4/19 as of a week ago.

Had some stuff pop up this week and didn't check with dealer yesterday, I bet it is out past that now.

Still shopping used, if I find one the dealer is going to get forced to eat my deposit.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordered my ARE Z2 on 1/30, was told 16 weeks for it to come in so I'm still waiting. In the meantime, I'm getting ready to install a wire harness extension to a 7-pin junction box in the rear if the bed to connect lights and give me takeoffs for other needs in future. My question is, for those that have gotten the Z2, what side does the third brake light wire run down?

Troutbeck27

Reaction score
Ordered an a.r.e in October of 2021. Took about 10 weeks they installed it in December without the yakima rack I ordered. I'm still waiting for the rack. It's been about 6 months. The dealer says yakima is on a huge backorder and that they have 47 yakima racks on backorder he's waiting on.
I ended up getting my money back on the rack. Ordered from REI and had it in a week.

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
I ended up getting my money back on the rack. Ordered from REI and had it in a week.
I've been thinking the same. I looked on Amazon and they have yakima racks available I'm not sure why the topper dealer can't seem to get them. He says I'm 3rd on the list of 47 orders

Pcustoms

Reaction score
Well date is pushed to shipping on 4/19 as of a week ago.

Had some stuff pop up this week and didn't check with dealer yesterday, I bet it is out past that now.

Still shopping used, if I find one the dealer is going to get forced to eat my deposit.
As of today, per ARE, 5/10 ship date .....

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score

YtXRc36.jpg

swWPQeq.jpg

mP5vQgL.jpg

xRtA2OZh.jpg

eJMZKUuh.jpg
You impress me.

Whitty37

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Crew Cab 6.4 foot bed and have found a year old Ranch topper that was on a 2019 Quad Cab 6.4 foot bed for sale. Seems like (from internet searching) that the bed dimensions are the exact same but the rear profile is a bit different between the Crew and Quad...I think it will fit with no issues but maybe a bigger gap at the top due to the Crew cab angle?? Does anyone have any input on fitment or even better, side pics of a Quad cab topper on a Crew cab?

Pcustoms

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Crew Cab 6.4 foot bed and have found a year old Ranch topper that was on a 2019 Quad Cab 6.4 foot bed for sale. Seems like (from internet searching) that the bed dimensions are the exact same but the rear profile is a bit different between the Crew and Quad...I think it will fit with no issues but maybe a bigger gap at the top due to the Crew cab angle?? Does anyone have any input on fitment or even better, side pics of a Quad cab topper on a Crew cab?
Done a lot of research and have the same conclusion. There are plenty of pics on this site showing the fit, thought I had some saved but can't find it.

Crew cap on a quad almost rubs at the top of the cab and has a large gap at the base. Very noticeable IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread