5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can’t get over 105 miles a hour

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He wasn't driving. It was pretty clear watching the video and listening to the sounds.
The truck was stationary.
Looked like he was driving to me. Guessing he had the phone attached to steering wheel which is why it was rocking back and forth some as he was making corrections to keep truck straight.

I don't understand why people think it's so surprising to be able to go that fast or that these trucks would somehow be too sketchy to control at those speeds. Obviously not many here that like to drive fast and know the limits of their vehicles

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looked like he was driving to me. Guessing he had the phone attached to steering wheel which is why it was rocking back and forth some as he was making corrections to keep truck straight.

I don't understand why people think it's so surprising to be able to go that fast or that these trucks would somehow be too sketchy to control at those speeds. Obviously not many here that like to drive fast and know the limits of their vehicles
their is a difference between not liking to drive fast and doing it on a safe place... like a race track.
doing 120 mph + on a road, or hwy, doesnt matter, even if your skills are high, you cant control mechanic failure and or someone or something getting in front of you at last moment.... we can think our truck are good at it but avoiding something at 120mph is not the strong part of the truck... specially if its not plan and its a reaction... plus you cant control the reaction of the person or thing your tring to avoid.

i do like high speed, but i do it on tracks not on hwy...

and i too think our truck are suprising on track, they acheive more that we think they would, but they have limits,

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
their is a difference between not liking to drive fast and doing it on a safe place... like a race track.
doing 120 mph + on a road, or hwy, doesnt matter, even if your skills are high, you cant control mechanic failure and or someone or something getting in front of you at last moment.... we can think our truck are good at it but avoiding something at 120mph is not the strong part of the truck... specially if its not plan and its a reaction... plus you cant control the reaction of the person or thing your tring to avoid.

and i too think our truck are suprising on track, they acheive more that we think they would, but they have limits,
So much for the safe place😆

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

^^^This^^^ It's absolutely irresponsible going 120+ mph on a public road anywhere near other drivers. You just can't predict what another driver is going to do.

I had a wakeup call in 1987 going 140 mph on a I-17 in Phoenix. We were in the fast lane...traffic was relatively light. We were overtaking another car in the middle lane that decided to move over into our lane. He must have glanced into his rearview mirror, because he immediately moved back over. There was no room to go around him on the shoulder to the left, the right lane was occupied, and there wasn't enough time to slow down. I thought we were going to rear end him at an 80 mph overtake, which would have killed us all. That was it for me.

I don't enjoy going fast in a straight line, unless it's drag racing. It's fun taking the Porsche out on the twisties, but I still won't go stupid fast. I'm not going to risk my life or someone else's for a quick thrill.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Just becuase YOU don't have a place to get that fast on a highway doesn't mean no one does.

Everytime I have taken my car\truck over 100mph there was no one near me, or even in eyesight.
It's really not a hard thing to do unless you are completely clueless, and think you can go 120+ mph on ANY highway at ANY spot.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

There is also a big difference between driving fast on a multi -lane freeway with other traffic and doing it on a remote two lane highway with no traffic. Knowing when and where you can go fast is all part of it. I can't get up to high speeds on a track because the straightaways aren't long enough to really test out top speed.

And as pointed out, tracks aren't 100% safe either, and most of time you aren't the only vehicle on the track. And mechanical failures happen whether you are in a race track or highway. Depending on the failure, being on an open highway might be safer because I don't have to worry about bouncing off barriers, or a corner coming up quickly. I live in Nebraska, lots of open highways in rural areas, and if you live in the area, you know when and where it's "safe". When I'm out with my car group, I'm never the lead carz and always leave enough space to be able to react to what is happening in front of me. When you are going that fast, you better be looking ahead more than the 100' right in front of you. Give yourself time to be able to react.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^This^^^ It's absolutely irresponsible going 120+ mph on a public road anywhere near other drivers. You just can't predict what another driver is going to do.

I had a wakeup call in 1987 going 140 mph on a I-17 in Phoenix. We were in the fast lane...traffic was relatively light. We were overtaking another car in the middle lane that decided to move over into our lane. He must have glanced into his rearview mirror, because he immediately moved back over. There was no room to go around him on the shoulder to the left, the right lane was occupied, and there wasn't enough time to slow down. I thought we were going to rear end him at an 80 mph overtake, which would have killed us all. That was it for me.

I don't enjoy going fast in a straight line, unless it's drag racing. It's fun taking the Porsche out on the twisties, but I still won't go stupid fast. I'm not going to risk my life or someone else's for a quick thrill.
I guess some of the responses may be coming from folks out west where the land is flat and you can see for miles. But all the roads I've driven on (including the freeway) have hills and curves far too close together to be able to safely support high speed.
On to you're post though. You mentioned the incident in '87. Part of the issue with driving fast on pubic roads is that the public may not perceive that you're traveling that much faster than them. You got lucky and the other driver must have realized you were closing much quicker than other traffic would be so they returned to their lane. If that same motorist see you way back, then doesn't look again because they figured it was safe, you're both screwed.

As for driving fast in a straight live vs the twisties. I completely agree. I had a Steeda Mustang back in '97. That car was an absolute blast to drive on winding roads. Any dummy should be able to pilot a car fast in a straight line. Smash the gas, keep the wheels straight. That bores me. The fun part comes from the twisties when you actually have to drive the car. Working the corners, managing speed in/out of the turns. Now that's fun.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess some of the responses may be coming from folks out west where the land is flat and you can see for miles. But all the roads I've driven on (including the freeway) have hills and curves far too close together to be able to safely support high speed.
On to you're post though. You mentioned the incident in '87. Part of the issue with driving fast on pubic roads is that the public may not perceive that you're traveling that much faster than them. You got lucky and the other driver must have realized you were closing much quicker than other traffic would be so they returned to their lane. If that same motorist see you way back, then doesn't look again because they figured it was safe, you're both screwed.

As for driving fast in a straight live vs the twisties. I completely agree. I had a Steeda Mustang back in '97. That car was an absolute blast to drive on winding roads. Any dummy should be able to pilot a car fast in a straight line. Smash the gas, keep the wheels straight. That bores me. The fun part comes from the twisties when you actually have to drive the car. Working the corners, managing speed in/out of the turns. Now that's fun.
I agree curves are more fun, which is why I have a frame brace and Hotchkis TVS suspension on my Dakota R/T. It will out handle many stock sports cars.

gofishn

Reaction score
...... Don’t know why he would need to go 105
Same reason ol Charlie Manson did what he did, because he wanted to.
While many of us don't think he should, it's his Check, let him write it, long as he don't gripe when it gets cashed.
Prison Guards need jobs too.

EDIT:
Just glad none of my idiot checks got cashed AND I lived through writing them

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That mindset is all good and well, but it may not be solely his check to cash. There are other motorists on the road exposed to a 5000 lbs projectile traveling at 100+ mph. He may have to live with what happens and the punishment, but the victims (or their families) have to live with the aftermath.

I'm not getting into the debate of should you or shouldn't you dive spiritedly. Honestly the topic of this thread seemed like bait for such a debate and I'm surprised it didn't devolve into that. I'm just pointing out that it may not be just the person driving fast who has to pay the price if things go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread