5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can’t get over 105 miles a hour

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your tires wouldn't blow unless you are driving at sustained speeds above the speed rating of the tire. Meaning, more than just a couple minutes, or a short blast to see how fast you can go
I’ll take your word for it but I’m not gonna test that theory out anytime soon. Couple minutes over 100 mph will just draw WAY too much attention from Johnny Law😆

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
These 6500lb trucks just aren't built to break any land speed records that's why they are governed. They aren't corvettes
Many years ago I had a 66’ Delta 88 with a big block in it. Anything over 80 mph was scary and it felt like I was driving a small ship in the rough seas. Steering correction was crazy. Pure definition of a boat if I ever saw one.

I was amazed how stable my RAM felt at 120 mph for something that big and heavy. Crazy how far vehicle suspensions, steering and aerodynamics have come even on large trucks. Probably a good thing they limit them. Eliminates lack of common sense from the equation.😆

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Assuming you were correct, how would you explain the 118 limit on the TRX? That’s what the tires are rated for.
It's got nothing to do with tires.
I could argue and say the Limited is more designed to go fast on roads vs a TRX, unless you are talking about a desert or something.

My 2006 Mustang has it's speed limited to 112 from the factory before I removed it via a tune.
My 2012 Camaro had to speed limiter from the factory.
What sense does that make?

Manufactures don't want people to drive too fast and die because a part of their car\truck broke at speed. Obviously cars\trucks can go much faster then the limiter but other parts may go, tires, drive shaft, etc.
Image this headline
"Supercharged TRX driver dies second week of ownership on the racetrack going 120mph because a the driveshaft snapped in a completely unmodified truck."

Wouldn't look very good for the manufacturer.

Your tires wouldn't blow unless you are driving at sustained speeds above the speed rating of the tire. Meaning, more than just a couple minutes, or a short blast to see how fast you can go
This is correct.
It has something to do with heat also. Not all tires of a particular heat rating will be able to produce the same safe speed.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Image this headline
"Supercharged TRX driver dies second week of ownership on the racetrack going 120mph because a the driveshaft snapped in a completely unmodified truck."
Unlikely. If you haven’t seen the driveshaft on a TRX, it’s YUGE.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unlikely. If you haven’t seen the driveshaft on a TRX, it’s YUGE.
I live in MA. I don't think anyone in this entire state owns a TRX.
Point being is parts break, the faster you go the more likely something will break and cause lots of damage or loss of life.
I recall reading somewhere that the driveshafts on the 1500s are only good\safe until either 125 or 135, I forget which it was.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Ram is one of the few vehicles I have personally owned that I haven't taken past 120mph, mainly because I don't have a tune for it yet. My 2000 Dakota R/T, I've been over 140mph in and was only speed limited by drag and horsepower. Which the HP will be rectified some with new engine I'm building for it. I was running tires with a W speed rating at the time. Original factory speed limiter was 115mph

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Point being is parts break, the faster you go the more likely something will break and cause lots of damage or loss of life.
I recall reading somewhere that the driveshafts on the 1500s are only good\safe until either 125 or 135, I forget which it was.
Driveshafts can't be rated by MPH. That's just not how it works.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the nerd side of things, this is a good calculator. They're using SAE values for the coefficient of friction. It checks out, and is giving accurate (but limited) numbers.
For anyone wanting to do the math yourself, or to calculate surfaces other than wet/dry asphalt, the formula is:
d = (S^2/(30f))+(S x 1.466 x prt).
PRT is the perception-reaction time, and "f" is the published coefficient of friction plus/minus grade.

Many years ago I had a 66’ Delta 88 with a big block in it. Anything over 80 mph was scary and it felt like I was driving a small ship in the rough seas. Steering correction was crazy. Pure definition of a boat if I ever saw one.

I was amazed how stable my RAM felt at 120 mph for something that big and heavy. Crazy how far vehicle suspensions, steering and aerodynamics have come even on large trucks. Probably a good thing they limit them. Eliminates lack of common sense from the equation.😆
Having driven multiple cars as fast as I could on the Mid-Ohio race track, I know the feeling. Some cars "float" while others feel planted. The best street legal car I've felt at speed was a 2012 Charger, and it was subsequently the fastest I've gone in a street legal car. No doubt there's better cars, that's just the best one I've driven there.
Anyway, even on a race track, wearing a helmet and harness, 130 mph felt sketchy. Sure the car felt stable enough, but that's a lot of speed in a street car. No way would I want to try that in a Ram on a public roadway with nothing but a 3 point seat belt. I can only imagine it feels like that 88 at 100+. The suspension just isn't tuned for those speeds.
I'll keep my truck lifted, on A/T tires, and take it nice and easy though the field/woods. They can all have that high speed business, especially in a truck. None for me, thanks.

It's got nothing to do with tires..... ....Manufactures don't want people to drive too fast and die because a part of their car\truck broke at speed.....
I'd say this is your answer right there. They've probably only tested, or calculated various parts and/or aerodynamics to given speeds, and those likely don't go much beyond where the limit is set.

Driveshafts can't be rated by MPH. That's just not how it works.
I'm pretty sure the drive shaft example was just an example. You may have taken it too literal.
I don't think Darksteel165 was saying it would specifically be the drive shaft to fail, or to be the part setting the limited speed. Pick any random part for the example. A lug nut, a tire, a valve, a gear in the transmission, anything. I think the point was that they don't want a part to fail and cause them to get sued so they limit at what they think the weakest link is. The driveshaft was probably just an item that came to mind but really it could be anything (even the tires as someone already mentioned).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the drive shaft example was just an example. You may have taken it too literal.
I don't think Darksteel165 was saying it would specifically be the drive shaft to fail, or to be the part setting the limited speed. Pick any random part for the example. A lug nut, a tire, a valve, a gear in the transmission, anything. I think the point was that they don't want a part to fail and cause them to get sued so they limit at what they think the weakest link is. The driveshaft was probably just an item that came to mind but really it could be anything (even the tires as someone already mentioned).
He mentioned specific MPH for what he thought was the limiting factor for the driveshaft. There is no other way to interpret that

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, any part in the valve train or drivetrain, other than tires themselves, would be rated by RPM more then vehicle speed. I can put the transmission in 1st gear and rev the engine to the moon and cause more damage under 50mph than doing 130mph barely breaking a sweat, RPM wise, because of the 8-speed trans. Which is why there is a rev limiter built in as well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
He mentioned specific MPH for what he thought was the limiting factor for the driveshaft. There is no other way to interpret that
I read somewhere that claimed as a particular speed\rpms there would be an amount of vibrations that could cause it to break. I don't have the thread on here saved.

But tierh way the part doesn't matter. What i'm saying is parts are only tested for regular usage. Is is no such thing as a "regular speed"
Ram must thing the TRX will have more problems if driven past 118mph, same thing with 106 for the 1500s

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
anyway, 106mph and 118mph is.more then enough for the capability of our trucks on the street (safe wise), dont see why we would need to go faster. for those who race on tracks there is always the possibility of a programmer to delet that

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
anyway, 106mph and 118mph is.more then enough for the capability of our trucks on the street (safe wise), dont see why we would need to go faster. for those who race on tracks there is always the possibility of a programmer to delet that
You obviously don't hang out with the same group of car guys as I do. I get left behind with the factory speed limiter on most cruises

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These 6500lb trucks just aren't built to break any land speed records that's why they are governed. They aren't corvettes
105 on highway is reckless driving. Stopping distance calculates to over 900 feet. Anything goes wrong the charge should be attempted premediated murder. Slow down. The life y'all save just might be mine.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You obviously don't hang out with the same group of car guys as I do. I get left behind with the factory speed limiter on most cruises
lol no i dont, but if i would, i probably get a car ment for that (even then i would not go that fast on streets nor hwy) what are they driving?

then again the trx 118mph could not be enough to follow them ?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I found 24 members from the trx forum that registered their trx's
:):):):)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lol no i dont, but if i would, i probably get a car ment for that (even then i would not go that fast on streets nor hwy) what are they driving?

then again the trx 118mph could not be enough to follow them ?
They like to roll race on the interstate. Most run radar detectors. I don't partake in the racing myself, but if you dont want to get left behind, you have to drive fast. Speeds over 120mph are common. Mostly Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers. One guy has a C7 Vette. If you don't make 600+ rwhp, you are the slow guy. A few making north of 1000rwhp. They also race at drag strip, and a few go to the 1/2 mile air strip attacks. Guy with the Vette runs 180 MPH in the 1/2 mile.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
105 on highway is reckless driving. Stopping distance calculates to over 900 feet. Anything goes wrong the charge should be attempted premediated murder. Slow down. The life y'all save just might be mine.
Growing up on crotch rockets (now Harleys) and mustangs i will say these trucks aren't designed for crazy speeds

Users who are viewing this thread