5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can’t get over 105 miles a hour

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
....Manufactures don't want people to drive too fast and die because a part of their car\truck broke at speed. Obviously cars\trucks can go much faster then the limiter but other parts may go, tires, drive shaft, etc.
Image this headline
"Supercharged TRX driver dies second week of ownership on the racetrack going 120mph because a the driveshaft snapped in a completely unmodified truck."

Wouldn't look very good for the manufacturer.

He mentioned specific MPH for what he thought was the limiting factor for the driveshaft. There is no other way to interpret that
Maybe I'm looking at it different, but he mentions the manufacturer not wanting people to die because a random part failed (..."tires, drive shaft, etc"...) then goes on to give a theoretical headline that would look bad on the brand. Yes there was a specific speed and part stated, but the context to me suggested it was just an example not a specific claim that the given part was rated for a given speed.
Maybe I should look at it more literal, but due to the rest of the message I didn't take it that way.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm looking at it different, but he mentions the manufacturer not wanting people to die because a random part failed (..."tires, drive shaft, etc"...) then goes on to give a theoretical headline that would look bad on the brand. Yes there was a specific speed and part stated, but the context to me suggested it was just an example not a specific claim that the given part was rated for a given speed.
Maybe I should look at it more literal, but due to the rest of the message I didn't take it that way.
Yes, he gave a sample scenario. And my specific response was intended to be a general rebuttal for the TRX. It is built for racing and hard core Baja runs. So I’m not remotely concerned about a weak component flying apart on a 100+mph run.
The peasant DT trucks, on the other hand…well, keep the shiny side up folks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You didn't quote his post that I was replying to. He specifically said he recalled hearing that the driveshaft was limited by specific MPH.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You didn't quote his post that I was replying to. He specifically said he recalled hearing that the driveshaft was limited by specific MPH.
Oooohhhh, well there's the confusion. My apologies. I thought you were talking about the example, and just quoted the most recent post on the topic. Which is why I quoted that same section about the example in post #29 when I originally said I thought he was just making a random example.
See there, I should have read it more literally, and taken it specifically as response to post #26.
Oops. So on that topic, aren't they limited by rpm? Obviously you can reach the same rpm at different speeds depending on gearing, so that would make sense that the drive shaft is not a speed limited part.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oooohhhh, well there's the confusion. My apologies. I thought you were talking about the example, and just quoted the most recent post on the topic. Which is why I quoted that same section about the example in post #29 when I originally said I thought he was just making a random example.
See there, I should have read it more literally, and taken it specifically as response to post #26.
Oops. So on that topic, aren't they limited by rpm? Obviously you can reach the same rpm at different speeds depending on gearing, so that would make sense that the drive shaft is not a speed limited part.
Yes, it would have to be RPM based, on the driveshaft itself, not engine RPM. But a properly balanced driveshaft shouldn't really have any issues at any speed/RPM. The u-joints, maybe, if the angles weren't correct. The torque when accelerating would be more on an issue than speed/RPM. Which is why there is torque limiting programmed into the tune during shifts.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If there is no limiter and with enough horsepower somewhere you are going to get into aerodynamic issues.

Once you find that point I’m afraid you won’t be around to post the speed you achieved.

Best of luck expanding the envelope.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If there is no limiter and with enough horsepower somewhere you are going to get into aerodynamic issues.

Once you find that point I’m afraid you won’t be around to post the speed you achieved.

That thing was flying! Awesome car

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Would take a LOT of horsepower to overcome the aero drag of these trucks to where stability becomes an issue. At which point, anyone trying to go that fast has hopefully addressed down force

GMetal

Reaction score
Whats the RPMs of the driveshaft at those speeds?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would take a LOT of horsepower to overcome the aero drag of these trucks to where stability becomes an issue. At which point, anyone trying to go that fast has hopefully addressed down force
not if you have avoid something, its just not made for that

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yikes😲

It went into ECO mode at the end🤣

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should be “easy math” to figure out the top end on any car / truck with unlimited horsepower.

Red Line RPM x transmission top gear RPM x rear axel ratio x rear wheel diameter = top speed.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They might have been on a dyno or had the rear end jack up lol
Doesn’t sound like it from reading comments.

He also posted these tidbits of info….

506E28D4-C62B-45E6-ADD5-70DA8F4E2563.jpeg
F61D1B8E-5092-4064-9A48-5BA4E90D06C4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread