5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAI, what did you end up installing and why?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I went with afe Power Force stage-2 intake. Say's 54% more air flow over stock setup, 640cfm & +24hp & +32tq. It feels a little faster, but I never got it dyno tested. Sounds great when you get on it. It uses the bottom of your stock air box. Simple install.
View attachment 86060
Pure marketing hype my friend. They look perty and sound good but don't do much of anything at all related to hp and torque increases.

Last edited:

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Vaaram. I like the looks of it.
3e2377f0ec2d238ba4165c635e3777df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I'm worried about blocking radiator airflow with the catch shroud. I'm interested in Rams version of this that does not use one.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm worried about blocking radiator airflow with the catch shroud. I'm interested in Rams version of this that does not use one.
Haven't had any issues even in the hottest days. It only blocks like 2 inches.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Amazing93

Reaction score
I did the Mopar Ram Air Cai. The biggest reason is so the dealer can't even try to say my Cai is a problem. Other reasons are I think it looks cool and sounds good. Also if there are any power gains to be had this one seems like it would be most likely to deliver. Many of the other Cai just seem like a fancier looking stock airbox setup. Not enough difference in my opinion to warrant a swap. The vararam ls the other one I considered.

Last edited:

Orion10182011

Reaction score
I did tge Mopar Ram Air Cai. The biggest reason is so tge dealer can't even try to say my Cai is a problem. Other reasons are I think it looks cool and sounds good. Also if there are any power gains to be had this one seems like it would be most likely to deliver. Many of tge other Cai just seem like a fancier looking stock airbox setup. Not enough difference in my opinion to warrant a swap. The vararam ls the other one I considered.
Opens up a $&^t ton of space in the engine bay also. Extra space for future toys or second battery.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You do realize Ram uses active grill shutters that close at speed which blocks more airflow to the radiator than the Vararam.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do realize Ram uses active grill shutters that close at speed which blocks more airflow to the radiator than the Vararam.
You do realize, as an engineer myself, At some point, even in an active grill, it's full open for a reason, yes? I also realize that sounds snotty, but I asked the question for a reason.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You do realize, as an engineer myself, At some point, even in an active grill, it's full open for a reason, yes? I also realize that sounds snotty, but I asked the question for a reason.
I was just saying that if you were worried about blocking airflow, Ram does that automatically no matter what intake you are using. And at slower speeds when the grill shutters aren't closed, the fan will be pulling plenty of air through radiator that it won't even make a difference what is in front, as long as it's not sitting flat against the fins. The only time the small amount of air the Vararam redirects would be a concern is at highway speeds when the electric fan isn't running, and ar that point, the grill shutters are closed, blocking more aire than the Vararam ever will.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just saying that if you were worried about blocking airflow, Ram does that automatically no matter what intake you are using. And at slower speeds when the grill shutters aren't closed, the fan will be pulling plenty of air through radiator that it won't even make a difference what is in front, as long as it's not sitting flat against the fins. The only time the small amount of air the Vararam redirects would be a concern is at highway speeds when the electric fan isn't running, and ar that point, the grill shutters are closed, blocking more aire than the Vararam ever will.
Rock on!

Joshua022

Reaction score
Anyone who installed a CAI, did you have to disconnect the battery to reset fuel trims? After installing mine I did not have that step and when I drove it got a good bit of spark knock under part throttle up a slight hill.
I installed the CORSA kit. Merely because I have corsa exhaust and got a pretty sizable discount code for it lol.

also their instructions had the IAT sensor facing a different direction than it did stock, so when I got home I adjusted it back to match stock (just in case) but have not driven it again since. 7C50322F-B03C-4C0A-88B9-143D82A63168.jpeg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone who installed a CAI, did you have to disconnect the battery to reset fuel trims? After installing mine I did not have that step and when I drove it got a good bit of spark knock under part throttle up a slight hill.
I installed the CORSA kit. Merely because I have corsa exhaust and got a pretty sizable discount code for it lol.

also their instructions had the IAT sensor facing a different direction than it did stock, so when I got home I adjusted it back to match stock (just in case) but have not driven it again since. View attachment 86373
Looks nice. I don’t think a battery disconnect is necessary at all.

DenCoRam

Reaction score
I installed the Corsa CAI and followed the instructions exactly. Didn't have to disconnect the battery and had no issues. Chose the Corsa for looks and price since you don't gain much from the intakes other than sound and minor flow increase.

Users who are viewing this thread